Recommended HiFi / AV Repairers

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trevor at Rage Audio. http://www.rageaudio.com.au/ He will take a while but the end product is done properly. Highly recommended, he is very passionate about all things amplifier.

Just  having a quick flick through this thread and saw the mention of not receiving the parts back that had been replaced and the further mention that someones mechanic always put the replaced parts i

Please contribute to this thread if you can recommend a repairer in your locality. Please try and keep it only to positive recommendations without it descending into a repairer bashing (we all know w

I've used both chamilla at RF waves and Jason from Ultra systems (same place as turntable doctor) and would happily recommend either one.

• Like 1
On 11/05/2020 at 3:52 PM, aussiepoida said:

Any updates on your experience? I've been looking to get some repairs done to my Cambridge Audio 640R.

Looking forward to hearing more.

When i was last in at RF Waves, Chamila was sorting out a few Cambridge Audio products. His turn around time is pretty good too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/08/2019 at 5:14 PM, Tubularbells said:

Bit further south theres me. PM for details...

Highly recommend Doug for all any work, so far he has done work for me on some speakers, amp, pre-amp and cd player has been all good work. Have found him to be open, honest, reliable and very fair on pricing.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had my Luxman 58A integrated amp which I've had since new (45+ years) repaired and recapped by a local guy here in Perth.  He did a great job and is really into HIFI and he cares about the quality of his work.  His contact details are:

Name: Mike Fitzpatrick

Business:   Liquid Audio

Contact No: 0439 690 436

• 2 weeks later...

On 30/09/2019 at 3:41 PM, Spider27 said:

Does anyone know any good repairer who has experience in repairing Technics SP10 TT?

A friend of mine in Brisbane having an issue with power supply unit and it would require proper repair. If you know any good repairer who might be able to help in QLD area. Thank you very much in advance.

Also looking for the same but in Melbourne.

I replaced the caps in mine but need an oscilloscope for the following adjustments:

Quartz reference frequency adjustment
-50khz collation level adjustment
-Phase tracking period check and adjustment

Cheers

21 minutes ago, noddyc43 said:

Also looking for the same but in Melbourne.

I replaced the caps in mine but need an oscilloscope for the following adjustments:

Quartz reference frequency adjustment
-50khz collation level adjustment
-Phase tracking period check and adjustment

Cheers

I can recommend calling Open Ear Audio in Fairfield. They work on a bunch of different brands and are honest and knowledgeable.

• Like 3
On 18/08/2020 at 1:00 PM, David Walker said:

I can recommend calling Open Ear Audio in Fairfield. They work on a bunch of different brands and are honest and knowledgeable.

Thanks. I have messaged them to see what they can do once lockdowns lifts here in vic. 

Hi

I live in Canberra and I have used "The Factory Audio" on several occasions for my audio equipment repairs. The he fellow to talk to is Bill and he is a wizard at what he does. So if you need a very good audio repairer, give him a call, he is very knowledgeable and approachable.

His website is: 

Cheers
Saxe

Edited by Saxe
On 11/05/2020 at 3:52 PM, aussiepoida said:

Any updates on your experience? I've been looking to get some repairs done to my Cambridge Audio 640R.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Any luck with this I’ve got an intermittent problem with the sound board I’ve heard it’s impossible to get parts.

30 minutes ago, thegeezer said:

Any luck with this I’ve got an intermittent problem with the sound board I’ve heard it’s impossible to get parts.

Out of everybody previously mentioned in this thread, Jason; AKA Ultra Systems, The Speaker Doctor and The Turntable Doctor, is the ONLY authorised WA hifi repairer and service agent for the major hifi companies.  If he can't get the parts then nobody can.  I've heard some absolute horror stories from SNA members about some of the other alleged 'technicians' mentioned in this thread.   

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Peter_F said:

Out of everybody previously mentioned in this thread, Jason; AKA Ultra Systems, The Speaker Doctor and The Turntable Doctor, is the ONLY authorised WA hifi repairer and service agent for the major hifi companies.  If he can't get the parts then nobody can.  I've heard some absolute horror stories from SNA members about some of the other alleged 'technicians' mentioned in this thread.   

I agree with this 100%. There are not only shoddy ones in terms of bad repairs, there are ones that will over inflate what they've done and "Cheerfully" overcharge you. If you want it done without being ripped off, Jason Boyd is the best one to go to.

If you are getting anything done by anyone, you should get a quote before going ahead too. There's a place in Carine that will push your invoice to the limit he can get away with, whilst he does a good job and pretends to adore your equipment to justify it and try to catch you off guard.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2019 at 4:40 PM, Hydrology said:

Not many left. Try Turntable Doctor or JW Electronics, both long-standing techs. Mike from Liquid Audio may be worth a call but I think he is snowed under with work at the moment.

He says he's snowed under, but it's more like the nightclub with the line out the front that's actually got plenty of room inside, so you think you're privileged for him to fix your stuff while he overcharges you. A very clever tactic that people fall for.

• Like 3

Hi everyone. I've just moved from Canberra to Adelaide and need to find a reliable, quality repairer/restorer for my vintage hifi. I have just found a Sansui SM-12M tube receiver which could do with a good service. I've searched StereoNET and found a couple of recommendations, but none are avaliable/willing to do the work. Bruno is too busy. I used Bill at The Audio Factory in Canberra and he was great. Surely it can't be so difficult to find someone able to restore a valve amp! Any recommendations please.

Go to the retro shop on Hampstead Toad opposite the Hampstead Rehab Centre. He knows a guy who builds and services Tube amps, I think his name is Tavi and lives at Valley View. You might find him selling the odd stuff on gumtree. 

Thanks for the replies. Bruno didn't recommend anyone unfortunately. @Skies2Clear, is Skies2Clear a repairer?? I Googled them but couldn't work out what's what. I've sent a message on Gumtree to Tavi so will see what he says.

53 minutes ago, lencoloony47 said:

Thanks for the replies. Bruno didn't recommend anyone unfortunately. @Skies2Clear, is Skies2Clear a repairer?? I Googled them but couldn't work out what's what. I've sent a message on Gumtree to Tavi so will see what he says.

Skies2clear is a member here and a truly knowledgeable gentleman.

• Like 1

Hi all, my beloved Accuphase E-204 just made a massive POP while I was playing a record, and then stopped producing sound, save for some intermittent crackling. 

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a trusted repairer in Sydney? 

JW Electronics has serviced my equipment when needed ,  He listens and does not big note himself , as mentioned above , one repairer has listed on his website a list for dodgy repairers which i think is not cool  because this is a tactic to lure you onto his waiting list . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Diynamic said:

JW Electronics has serviced my equipment when needed ,  He listens and does not big note himself , as mentioned above , one repairer has listed on his website a list for dodgy repairers which i think is not cool  because this is a tactic to lure you onto his waiting list . 

Yes and his waiting list is a farce... I'm amazed how many people he fleeces.  You're right, John Alan from JW is a lovely guy too. Works super hard and very late at night back in the day.

Edited by BetaBoy
Typo
  • Like 1

I think the experience you get depends on so many random factors that it is difficult to make sweeping statements.

Edited by MrC
2 hours ago, MrC said:

I think the experience you get depends on so many random factors that it is difficult to make sweeping statements.

Hmm, up to you. I can tell you this, if you go to JW Electronics or Turntable Doctor, you won’t feel like you’ve been taken for a ride, 

I have used the services of  both Chamila At RF waves and Jason at Speaker Dr over the years and highly recommend both of them. 
From my experience, I can vouch that these are reliable guys have always done a splendid job for me. 
Again , I can appreciate that everyone has had different experiences . 

Worst case  is you lose a few hundred bucks but the plus point is you become a little wiser.
We have all been through that,  be it in the stereo world or otherwise. 

Edited by hellzigha
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm looking for a repairman in Melbourne, I've got an issue with an Aaron loudspeaker. Doesn't appear to be any power going to one of the drivers. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Gary Cawsey and Atilla Tanka would be  the likely  choices to  take  your speaker to be serviced. Located in  Brunswick and Thomastown respectively. Considering the current 5Km  restriction, if you are in a hurry for repair work you may have to send the faulty speaker  via courier.

Thanks so much for that, I'll put them on the list. I also found Open Ear Audio who are confident they can sort it out as well, you wouldn't know anything about them by any chance?

OEA are about 1.5 Km ,  as the Australian ravens fly, from where I live.  Apart from knowing where they are, I have not dealt with them and  I cannot offer an opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

My Emotiva XDA-2 stopped turning on and was looking for some advice. Is it worth trying to replair? And if so, what places do you recommend around melbourne to get it fixed?

thanks in advance 

Hi all, just after a good technician to repair one of my vintage marantz mono blocks. One amp is running way hotter than the other... Not sure if it's the hot one or cool one that's the problem though, as both sound fine and they always ran hot.

Anyway any recommendations for a amp guru in Melbourne would be much appreciated.

Joel

JLS Electronics in Doncaster, had a few repairs and services done there, professional, courteous, good communicators, reasonable pricing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1