Recommended HiFi / AV Repairers (Australia)

6 hours ago, evil c said:

Yeah, for some people analog is just too complicated! ? 

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

Serves you right for actually cracking a record open to play on it :D

xD  This reminds me of some characters from my past. (Not sure if anyone else has stumbled across them).

-They had the opposite of the Midas touch. Anything mechanical and/or electronic that they walk past would magically fall to bits.

Eg. one chap (who studied and labelled himself as a "video tech") was fidgeting with my 20yo swiss army knife and broke the scissors in 5 secs. His newly purchased vehicle (that previously had good mechanical record), spent every other week at the mechanics workshop. The list went on and on. I had to keep him out of my workshop as it was starting to cost me. I repaired some of his stuff-ups at first until I observed this peculiarity. Took him a while to get the message that he was no longer welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gee Emm said:

You’ve met evil c !?

Hurtful, hateful words !

Still sore after all these years that I crashed your car into the house we shared !

How was I supposed to remember your bedroom was there? ?

I'm a changed man nowadays, just make sure to buy two of everything to be safe! ?

Edited by evil c
  • Like 4

On 20/07/2019 at 3:39 PM, evil c said:

Hurtful, hateful words !

Still sore after all these years that I crashed your car into the house we shared !

How was I supposed to remember your bedroom was there? ?

I'm a changed man nowadays, just make sure to buy two of everything to be safe! ?

Aaaah. The good ol' days.

I think we actually got into quite a bit of trouble in that particular FB wagon...

And Spider the cat thought it was a solitary confinement cell.

Motor bike burnouts in the lounge room is still a vivid memory.

Do you really need a door on a toilet? Not every toilet, surely!?

And isn't a fence just firewood standing up?

All this and more to ponder in our twilight years.

As an older person, I don't think i would put up with all the shenanigans we got up to all those years ago in that house, and other places of interest.

• Haha 1

On 18/07/2019 at 8:33 PM, Auracle said:

xD  This reminds me of some characters from my past. (Not sure if anyone else has stumbled across them).

-They had the opposite of the Midas touch. Anything mechanical and/or electronic that they walk past would magically fall to bits.

Eg. one chap (who studied and labelled himself as a "video tech") was fidgeting with my 20yo swiss army knife and broke the scissors in 5 secs. His newly purchased vehicle (that previously had good mechanical record), spent every other week at the mechanics workshop. The list went on and on. I had to keep him out of my workshop as it was starting to cost me. I repaired some of his stuff-ups at first until I observed this peculiarity. Took him a while to get the message that he was no longer welcome.

Sounds like me...I always say if you want to check out how well you have designed an item give it to me for a minute and i'll soon find it's weak spot! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Karl Rand
On 18/07/2019 at 12:37 PM, Tivoli Hi-Fi said:

Hey @joz

Apologies for the delay

Tony our tech is phenomenal but fast he is not and at the moment is pretty backed up with jobs, we hope to get it done faster but can't promise it at the moment hence not wanting to promise a quicker timeline and end up in the opposite situation.

Hope you understand.

Cheers

James

This leads to a discusssion that really needs a thread of it’s own. The scarcity of well trained audio technicians working for the retail sector is  reaching crisis point. So much so the industry has taken to selling gear that either can’t be repaired, or if it does need work, requries entire sections to be replaced, not just individual components that may have died. Then we have the problem of young technicians not understanding analogue gear. Try and get any tech under age 35 say to repair something like a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck. They’ll take one look under the bonet and scream. There are however still gems out their like Tony McKay at Tivoli Hi-Fi but they’re a dying breed. 

Edited by Karl Rand
Coyright infringement avoided

Yes, definitely a topic worthy of it's own thread.

Not sure if there is an answer, but I'm certain there's plenty philisophical points that can be be brought up.

In my home town for eg, when the population was just 180,000 we had about 10 TV/audio repair shops. Within 10 years the population exploded to 250,000+ and are without any. The last one had to remodel its business strategy and dropped its repair shop to become just a supplier of tv installation accessories only.

That same ten years also saw the demise of most of the major industries that grew the city during the last century.

Currently, there are just a handfull of private software engineers doing any 'technology' at all here.

I maintain my hand in it as a hobby and a bit of fuel money, but definitely can't support a family on it.

As a further point (that I still am unhappy about), during the 80's, people's perception changed about willingness to pay for a decent local product compared to a cheaper imported version. They had no qualms about buying cheap -> replacing often -> landfill. I suppose that was a side effect of the "greed is good" syndrome of the day, to which it seems it is too late to turn back from.

Maybe one of us should be embalmed and stuck in a Smithsonian somewhere as a curiosity piece. Then again, if the "Idiocracy" scenario eventuates, then museums would be a moot point anyway.

All I can offer is a suggestion, that a type of co-op be formed for this trade before it's too late. It's already halfway there with SNA anyway.

That's my 20cents used up.

• Like 2

On 05/08/2019 at 4:55 PM, Karl Rand said:

This leads to a discusssion that really needs a thread of it’s own. The scarcity of well trained audio technicians working for the retail sector is  reaching crisis point. So much so the industry has taken to selling gear that either can’t be repaired, or if it does need work, requries entire sections to be replaced, not just individual components that may have died. Then we have the problem of young technicians not understanding analogue gear. Try and get any tech under age 35 say to repair something like a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck. They’ll take one look under the bonet and scream. There are however still gems out their like Tony McKay at Tivoli Hi-Fi but they’re a dying breed. 

Not all tech's over 35 could fix a Dragon. Another problem is parts. There are still a few good tech's in Sydney but if one does a bad repair, he's admonished by the person and community and made out to be an overall bad tech. Anyone, with knowledge of Audio service knows that Circuit diagrams and manuals are very important for all techs. 

And, if a tech is smart enough to diagnose the circuit without these tools, he's gonna charge an arm and a leg for his time and I don't blame him.

Edited by Wimbo
punctuation
  • Like 1

Guest Karl Rand
On 07/08/2019 at 5:49 PM, Wimbo said:

Not all tech's over 35 could fix a Dragon. Another problem is parts. There are still a few good tech's in Sydney but if one does a bad repair, he's admonished by the person and community and made out to be an overall bad tech. Anyone, with knowledge of Audio service knows that Circuit diagrams and manuals are very important for all techs. 

And, if a tech is smart enough to diagnose the circuit without these tools, he's gonna charge an arm and a leg for his time and I don't blame him.

True. Maybe I shouldn’t have used the dramatic example of the insides of a Nakamichi ‘Dragon’ which was already a nightmare for  some techs working at the time  of it’s release. Add to that parts for Dragons are now as scarce as hen’s teeth, some such as the transport,  fetching huge sums, if you can find one. 

As to circuit diagrams and manuals, too often today manufacturers restrict the availability of circuit diagrams for reasons I’ve yet to understand. Scared another manufacturer is going to copy their junk?

When charging an arm and a leg for their time I don’t blame technicians. I do blame the public who imagine themselves entitled to cheap, fast and faultless service after their warrantee’s have run out. The service departments of most audio/video retailers can all tell stories of their sales staff giving demonstrations only to have the nasty little cheapskates return expecting the same gear then purchased on the web to be serviced.

mainPic.jpg

Edited by Karl Rand

G’day Folks.

I’m looking to service a vintage TT & Amp in Canberra.

I’ve visited the website for ‘The Factory Audio’, which looks impressive.

Does anyone have experience with them?  Or any other recommendations?

Cheers, Ant.

2 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

G’day Folks.

I’m looking to service a vintage TT & Amp in Canberra.

I’ve visited the website for ‘The Factory Audio’, which looks impressive.

Does anyone have experience with them?  Or any other recommendations?

Cheers, Ant.

Bit further south theres me. PM for details...

39 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Bit further south theres me. PM for details...

G'day Doug.  Had a flick through a few pages here and got a glimpse about you maybe doing work.  Didn't read enough to know you were actually doing it.

Great news for me.  My sis lives down in Melbourne, so not out of reach for me to get there.

Sending PM.

• 2 weeks later...

My poor old Audio Innovations S500 valve amp developed a nasty hum recently. After ringing around a couple of repair shops around Brisbane who did not want to know I came across Hifi Repair Services on the Gold Coast.

I spoke with Andy and he agreed to have a look at it for me. He did a fabulous job and re-placed a heap of blown caps , fixed up some dubious previous repair work and everything was hunky dory. His service was exceptional and he even supplied before and after photo's. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Mike

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know any good repairer who has experience in repairing Technics SP10 TT?

A friend of mine in Brisbane having an issue with power supply unit and it would require proper repair. If you know any good repairer who might be able to help in QLD area. Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by Spider27

• 1 month later...

Has anybody used Alltechs Electronics in Sydney?  They are closer to me than Electronics Today (I've used these before and Len Wallis use/recommend them) and I have a Yamaha CD player to be fixed under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Crampoli said:

Any recommendations for amp repairs in the Inner-West of Sydnet? I have not had much luck to date. I have a Marantz 1122DC that has a fault and need help. Thanks

https://www.whitepages.com.au/kimil-electronics-11484163/croydon-park-nsw-11484158B would be my choice!

or

http://www.marrickville.com.au/listing/hi-fi-equipment-service/mb-electronics/592278/

Edited by scobb
add extra info
  • Like 1