Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

RIO 2016 anyone watching ?

we are up early here today. little daughter as well....watching the look around the place now...waiting up for the opening ceremony.

anyone else up and watching ?

Is it actually going ahead? :D

Such a beautiful country only to be masked by dangerous brazen criminal..

Biggest waste of time, money, effort and resources ever.

Years and millions spent on building structures just so people can run, swim and jump for two weeks.

Blah

Just seeing footage of the torch relay now.

The amount of security, you'd think the pope, president and all the gold in the world was being paraded down the street.

pretty special moment back there, 

with the grandson of the great composer on the piano with the haunting vocals of "The girl from ipanema" and to have Giselle walk in for her last catwalk ever.. must have been a great atmosphere in the stadium there with the crowd singing along and clapping

My 13 year old daughter woke me early - cup of tea and hot chocolate - home made apricot jam and cream on toast - Olympics and dreams of her own - great moments and a great way to celebrate humanity - sport that's more than the mainstream

Guest Sime

Sport.

Got better things to do.

My 13 year old daughter woke me early - cup of tea and hot chocolate - home made apricot jam and cream on toast - Olympics and dreams of her own - great moments and a great way to celebrate humanity - sport that's more than the mainstream

my daughter is little similar, she was doing the long jump across the lounge room when they were talking to brooke stratton :D

Read the ceremony didn't actually start until 8:50, so grabbed a few extra hours' sleep.

Now watching the parade of countries. Have a schedule printed out for the Australian and USA mens basketball games so I can (hopefully, pending Ch7 broadcasting) record them

Good for her (and you)

Sport is good for a lot of people.

The sense of community, belonging, achieving and all that.

I have no problem with that at all.

The olympics, however has become a pissing contest now, who can build the biggest stadium, have the best opening ceremony and spend the most.

China, allegedly, spent $40 B (yes billion) on their setup.

Not to mention the parts if Beijing that were "cleaned up" to make room for the village......

It's not getting lot of use these days.

Google it at your leisure.

I wonder how many people are ODing in the shanty town part of Rio as the games are taking place.

Living in the slum, one of the worst drug affected areas in the world, drugs controlled by the same corrupt government who is now parading the streets keeping the olympic guests safe from the criminals they have created.

Wonder where all the money for the stadium etc came from anyway....?

:rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see what Rio is like in 12....no...make that 6 months.

Meh, a even month after the games are over.

Once everyone's gone home, the city is left with all those empty buildings.....and thousands of homeless drug addicts.

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Try being uninterested in sport.

May as well wear a hot pink dress.

It's jaded, it costs a lot of dosh but, when you see a bunch of blokes run 100 metres in a time faster than I can pull a record out and clean it and put the tonearm on it...well there you have something very special.

Baby girls doing gymnastics and scoring 10's on the beam, a chunk of wood I wouldn't use as a fence rail and young blokes built like upside down pyramids doing mind boggling things on rings...phwoar!

Watch it?

Hell yeah.

Dressage, lol, now there's some stupid shite, so stupid I just sit there glued egging the horse on; Bolt..bolt...BOLT!!!! Haha, love it.

Table tennis and return smashes that just leave you gobsmacked at the distances and speed.

Enormous mountains that swing around in circles and then roar as they let go the hammer and that's just the girls ffs!

Two pair of enormous thighs sticking out like pantaloons, a neck that joins at the shoulder joints, chalk covered hands grabbing hold of Yamaha Man, his Tads, his Krell's, his bike, his cars,his fridge, his temper and lifting it all up till three green lights appear. What's not to like about that eh.

I refuse to watch beach volleyball though because that's just sheilas in bikinis jumping up and down and falling over in the sand, c'mon admit it, none of you watch it either do you for exactly the same reasons, even when the missus is out of the room you refuse to watch it just like me.

The Arr lym pacs can't get enough of them. :thumb:

Guest Sime

Agree with everything @@Dirty_vinylpusher said.

The news has been splashed all week with a guy being signed to a football club.

Life. Needed.

No problems with those that don't like the olympics but why bother posting about your dislike in a thread asking about those watching it - just ignore the whole thing and let us have our fun :-)

The Olympics are a complete waste of talent, time and money.

So was landing a man on the moon (yes it really did happen, so naysayers please go play in your sandpit) and climbing Mt Everest.

Totally pointless.

But how boring would life be if no one strived for anything?

If everyone just stayed home in their comfy slippers on their comfy couch sipping on their English Breakfast tea in front of their 2 bar radiator.

What joy,what exhilaration.

No problems with those that don't like the olympics but why bother posting about your dislike in a thread asking about those watching it - just ignore the whole thing and let us have our fun :-)

Well I don't have a problem with you not having a problem with me having a problem with the Olympics...but I should still be allowed to voice my opinion.....:unsure:

Meh, I'm gonna go throw rocks at something.

:D

Read the ceremony didn't actually start until 8:50, so grabbed a few extra hours' sleep.

Now watching the parade of countries. Have a schedule printed out for the Australian and USA mens basketball games so I can (hopefully, pending Ch7 broadcasting) record them

parade of countries.  Raise a tear for the refugee team.

It goes along with the swimmer who never had a long pool to practise in and the cycle team without bikes.

KGB/FSB Drug team is on the wrong side.  The human side is the right side.

Edited by eman

I love Rio.  The scenery, the beaches, the people, the taste for life...an amazing place to visit, would love to go back.  Not much interest in the Olympics though, they just don't take drug use seriously - plus, personally, I don't think ball sports should be included (except gymnastics).

Anyway, will still flick over for interest sake purely because I can't help myself...it may suck me in...  :rolleyes:

Guest guru

Thought Bruce McAvaney's commentary on Novak Djokovic playing for Serbia was worth the price of admission alone. Poor old Bruce is past his use by date.

Edited by guru

Thought Bruce Makevany's commentary on Novak Djokovic playing for Serbia was worth the price of admission alone. Poor old Bruce is past his use by date.

Bruce is the Mick Jagger of Sport. About a quarter of a Century past his "use by date"

Come on.

There's only one event worth watching,

You know it

The one that brings you moments such as....

who's foot is that?

post-145321-0-51513500-1470469280_thumb.

OMG TOTALLY AWESOME INVISIBLE FRUIT

post-145321-0-88046100-1470469324_thumb.

A wedgie????! Oh yeah you'd better run!!!!!!

post-145321-0-65312500-1470469422_thumb.

I'm not the only one seeing this.....,right....?.......

post-145321-0-61835400-1470469466_thumb.

......no.....we're seeing it too......

post-145321-0-32878000-1470469519_thumb.

I surrender......glub glub glub

post-145321-0-32084700-1470469611_thumb.

ok, now raise me up gently and HNNNNNNNG!!!!!

post-145321-0-83040000-1470469626_thumb.

Got to ask ; HOW the Hell is 'stupid swimming' a substantial global sport.

Yeah , I'm not really keen to see tennis, golf, cricket , Football (Soccer) in there.  There are major international standalone events for those. 

Beach Volleyball?  FFS  !!

Surfing on the way?  Sort of restricts the cities that can host it !

Canoe slalom and BMX....?

Interesting

post-145321-0-44930500-1470474752_thumb.