'Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

Do we have a thread devoted solely to so called 'Audiophile' pressings? We have Felix's excellent 'non audiophile' thread which is great, but one devoted to special 'high end' pressings might be good too. I'm not a 'pressing snob' by any means, but occasionally entertain the thought of buying these 'upper level' offerings, and have just acquired the half speed 45rpm version of 'So' by Peter Gabriel (released 11/7/16). It is very good, everything seems to have 'a little bit extra'......crystal clear highs, nice mid's and lovely deep bass, entering sub territory. I'm very impressed. One thing I wasn't impressed with however, was the packaging. The gatefold cover is nice, but disc one is quite warped (disc two ok), and once I released the inner covers (poly lined paper) they went all puffy and wrinkled and are hard to slip back into the album cover. It's as if they have put the disc straight into the inner, fresh from the press and shrinked wrapped the lot before the vinyl had even cooled down! A little disappointing. I always worry when new LP's arrived shrink wrapped. Overall though, the sound is excellent and the pressing, besides the warping, is very good with minimal surface noise. Recommended. :thumb:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                post-154342-0-75701700-1469860181_thumb.        Post edit: That pic is incorrect for the half speed. There is no writing on the half speed cover, it's on the back.

Edited by stevoz

A badly packaged, warped and minimally noisy 'audiophile' pressing... Hmmmm.

Not ideal HFh, but I figure as long as the 'bottom line', the sound, is what's expected, that's all that matters. I may seek another disc one or a partial refund :unsure:, but for now, my set up (atm the DL103) tracks it fine. I do agree though......Hmmmm. ;) 

• Like 1

And therein lies the problem with so many of these modern releases flogged off as 'audiophile' because they are 45 rpm, 180 gm, 200 gm etc. etc. So many are just poorly pressed average quality records that are shamed when you play a lightweight thin bog standard original release. So many of these new releases too are of records that sold huge amounts so original releases are often easily available.

• Like 2

And therein lies the problem with so many of these modern releases flogged off as 'audiophile' because they are 45 rpm, 180 gm, 200 gm etc. etc. So many are just poorly pressed average quality records that are shamed when you play a lightweight thin bog standard original release. So many of these new releases too are of records that sold huge amounts so original releases are often easily available.

Yes, sometimes I play standard releases where I'm thinking 'this would be bloody hard to beat!', Supertramp's 'Brother Where You Bound' and Grace Jones 'Inside Story' spring to mind to name a couple, but in defense of 'So', sonically, the pressing is excellent. Packaging definitely not. :unsure:

Agree with the whole packaging deal. Trying to jam 2 records back into the gatefold sometimes can be an exercise in complete frustration. You wonder why the record companies can't give you just that little bit more room so that each record slides back in nicely without the sleeve getting all bunched up etc.

I picked up the MOFI versions of REM's Document and Natalie Merchant's Tigerlilly LP's recently from importcds. While they both sound great, I probably was expecting more tbh,

The bog standard IRS 2009 pressings of the earlier REM stuff is particularly pleasing to my ears, and I really should have saved my money with getting the IRS version vs MOFI. 

Still, why die wondering eh?

Guest Runaway

One of the records I brought back from the KL AV show is Vanessa Fernadez' tribute to Led Zepellin - When the Levee Breaks.   The album is a 3 LP 45RPM, resented a triple gatefold cover, each LP slotting neatly in a separate compartment (unlike another record I brought back, Eva Cassidy's NightBird where the 3 LPs were fighting for space in the cover).  The first 2500 copies are numbered (I got #656).  

I can't confess to being LZ fan - I don't hear their music often enough.  I prefer acoustic to heavy rock as I find some of the heavy music a bit canned with a lot of post production compression and tinkering.  This album blew me away with its natural sound.  The arrangements are superb, and I can follow each instruments distinctly without any effort, harmoniously combining to surround the singer but never overwhelming her.  As Michael Fremer review said: "I’ll put it to you this way: if you play this record really loud and you don’t enjoy what you hear, blame your system!"

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/when-levee-breaks-re-grooves-songs-led-zeppelin#dBxgDvfDzxBsFMYS.99) Actually I think this is one of the records that flatters your system no matter what it is.

post-152056-0-02069500-1470036700_thumb.

records that are conceived, recorded, produced, distributed, and sold by audiophiles

Not quite true. Look at most of the alleged audiophile jazz records released by Analogue Production etc. A good boat load of those records are 40 or so years old, conceived by the artist at the time, and fortunately, mixed, produced, and mastered with love and care at the time.

Not sure they considered themselves audiophiles........a term I abhor.

Any ol'Joe can buy a system worth big bucks. He might then listen to it twice a year or so. Does that make him a so called audiophile?

Anyway, getting off track now.

I think I'm on the same wave length as Shane. There are countless examples of superb sounding records released by normal labels these days, me thinks a lot of these companies releasing expensive re-issues and the like are doing it because they can, not because their product is any better sounding.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 2

An audiophile record is usually an old musical chestnut that has been remastered to within an inch of it's life by celebrity recording producers/engineers/fiddlers,

It is pressed on the thickest, noisiest, most warped vinyl that can be pressed by approved audiophile pressing plants,

The resulting product is then lauded to the heavens by the hearing impaired audio press,

And finally sold through boutique re-sellers at eye watering prices to a gullible audience.

NB - some of the above was firmly tongue-in--cheek.

:D

Edited by michaelw
  • Like 3

Not quite true. Look at most of the alleged audiophile jazz records released by Analogue Production etc. A good boat load of those records are 40 or so years old, conceived by the artist at the time, and fortunately, mixed, produced, and mastered with love and care at the time.

Not sure they considered themselves audiophiles........a term I abhor.

Any ol'Joe can buy a system worth big bucks. He might then listen to it twice a year or so. Does that make him a so called audiophile?

Anyway, getting off track now.

I think I'm on the same wave length as Shane. There are countless examples of superb sounding records released by normal labels these days, me thinks a lot of these companies releasing expensive re-issues and the like are doing it because they can, not because their product is any better sounding.

was joking!  :P

sorry

• Like 1

Have played So and Us and must concur, they do sound very good.

Hear what you are saying about warped, "Us" is pretty ordinary on the first lp.

The other 2 lps are fine." So" ,no issues.

My gatefolds were in good condition as they were packed well.

Matt