Klein DAC II owners thread

Gieseler Audio

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am seriously considering this DAC but have a question :

I saw you can chose between the different digital filters of the AK4490 chip or select the DSD mode (volume and delta-sigma modulator bypass). But is it possible to set the DAC as "External Digital Filter" bypassing the internal DF of the chip in order to use HQaudio filters with PCM files ?

Thank you very much !

Eluxe,

no the "external digital filter" mode is not available in this current design. It would only require a simple change to the the firmware to implement this mode though. I guess I could do a custom firmware version with it set to "external digital filter mode" but I would probably need to check with my programmer first. 

regards Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@Conch Blowa Thanks for the link to the drivers.

I think this thread is more appropriate.

With the Singxer SU-1 I could not pass DSD to the Dac but was using a coax cable and I think this was why.

With the drivers installed now running USB (Curious cable) from PC with a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker.

Must say it is sounding impressive. DSD sounds excellent too.

Super great Dac. :)

• Like 1

On 04/03/2017 at 11:35 AM, peterhocking said:

Hi

I'm interested in a Klein II DAC. Does anyone know if it supports gapless playback?

TIA

Peter

Gapless has nothing to do with the dac it is the streaming device that will determine wether its gapless or not

• 4 months later...

2 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

The sample rate is only displayed if using the USB input. The Amanero USB board outputs this info which I use to control the display. To add the S/PDIF sample rate info would need quite a bit more complexity in the design so I gave that a miss.

Thank you, no real issue was just wondering. Only using toslink for Xboxone and Spotify now anyway, it really lifts spotify to some real serious audio.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

First time poster, long time lurker and occasional impersonator of my father-in-law :)

I just purchased this DAC and the sound is amazing, particularly DSD64. I can really hear the difference in sound stage compared to FLAC. At the risk of starting a flame war I dare say sounds better than a record . . . For another thread . . .

A few technical questions though. No matter what I do I can't seem to get anything to play greater than 192K or DSD64. This includes PCM 384 and DSD128. Using FooBar2K I get unable to play. I've installed the Windows driver and tried both SPDIF and USB inputs (USB with and without a re-clocker). Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I might be doing wrong? FooBar2K is setup to output to ASIO4ALL which goes to the Gieseler DAC. Interesting ASIO4ALL says maximum bitrate is 384 which can't be right.

Is there a specific Gieseler ASIO driver required for this or another updated Windows driver? Or should I look at the Foobar ASIOProxy plugin?

I can't help but think this is a software setup. I'm running Windows 7 x64 if it helps.

Thanks.   

25 minutes ago, JoshNSW said:

FooBar2K is setup to output to ASIO4ALL which goes to the Gieseler DAC. Interesting ASIO4ALL says maximum bitrate is 384 which can't be right.

But you are pointing Foobar to Asio4ALL ??  Should be selecting Combo384 ASIO

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

• 2 weeks later...

A pop sound is not normal with a Klein II and I have not had feedback about that from owners.

Try playing around with streaming sound settings & driver output selection.

However a faint tick is normal with a sample rate change and that is from the output muting transistors.

The Klein III, Gross & Fein DAC's use a new photo mosfet mute relay which solved that problem.

On 26/06/2020 at 7:01 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

A pop sound is not normal with a Klein II and I have not had feedback about that from owners.

Try playing around with streaming sound settings & driver output selection.

However a faint tick is normal with a sample rate change and that is from the output muting transistors.

The Klein III, Gross & Fein DAC's use a new photo mosfet mute relay which solved that problem.

Thanks Clay

Edited by Drunken Monk

Unfortunately it would be quite involved to change over to the photo moss relays  as the mounting

& control circuitry is different.

However there may be another solution.

The Amanero firmware in the USB board.

There are lots of different firmwares available & some are custom versions designed especially to suit

AKM  DAC chips like the Klein II uses.

I'm very busy at the moment with new models but when I get time I can experiment with different firmwares

& see if one solves the muting tick issue.
You are using Windows 8 ? - correct?

The OS in your streaming source can also effect muting so sometimes a later version of Windows or a Linux based

OS will solve a tick/pop issue.

Phew! - hope that helps.

Edited by Gieseler Audio