Sign in to follow this  
Krispy Audio

SOLD: FS: New VPI Classic walnut turntable

Item: VPI Classic turntable in Walnut
Price: $4,500 
Item Condition: New - opened box.
Payment Method: Any
Extra Info: This table has been out of the box for customers to inspect the walnut finish, but has never been played. In fact the platter has never even been installed. Retail is $5,195. Price includes delivery Oz-wide, or pickup and I'll kick another $50 off. This 25kg behemoth can also be enhanced with a VPI periphery ring, a VPi 3D tonearm or VPI Prime level feet should you wish to upgrade down the track. More info http://www.krispyaudio.com.au/products/VPI-Classic-turntable.html

post-121764-0-65104700-1469711007_thumb.

Edited by Krispy Audio

Hey Cam, are they the Prime feet in the pic?  Also how does the periphery ring work?

Hey Luc. So these are the standard Classic feet which is a threaded Delrin, the underside rests on 3x ~1mm steel balls to decouple from the surface. The Prime uses a cone/spike footer into a Delrin puck which has three larger balls placed horizontally, so vibrations can't travel on an entirely vertical plane.

The periphery ring simply sits on top after your record goes on. It's machined to a really tight tolerance (expensive for stainless steel!), and located on the platter. It protrudes a mm or two onto the LP's lead-in, which completely flattens the record to the platter. It's a neat solution. Some people ask if it's fiddly to use, but it takes no more time than putting the record on the platter. With the added mass of it, speed stability is also improved (better flywheel effect due to higher rotating mass). 

post-121764-0-63724400-1469750985_thumb.

post-121764-0-63465900-1469750990_thumb.

Edited by Krispy Audio

The periphery ring simply sits on top after your record goes on. It's machined to a really tight tolerance (expensive for stainless steel!), and located on the platter. It protrudes a mm or two onto the LP's lead-in, which completely flattens the record to the platter. It's a neat solution. Some people ask if it's fiddly to use, but it takes no more time than putting the record on the platter. With the added mass of it, speed stability is also improved (better flywheel effect due to higher rotating mass). 

Hey Cam.

Would or could this ring work with other TT's or is it just specific to VPI's??

Cheers Tase.

If the platter were the same diameter as the VPI's (12") platter then yes. But even if it were a tiny bit out, you could really upset the balance and thus speed stability. You would also need to check that the turntable could handle the added mass (3kg from memory). 

the ring in conjunction with the record clamp, flattens any warped record.

it is worth the little extra effort. if the record is flat, you don't have to use it.  :thumb:

@Tasebass  Tony, would the extra weight bugger up your motor, settings ect though(on your TT's I mean)?

@Tasebass  Tony, would the extra weight bugger up your motor, settings ect though(on your TT's I mean)?

Absolutely.

The Linn platter comes in around 4kg . Adding an extra 3kg , which would be similar to adding an extra platter, would put a strain on bearing,springs etc.

Me thinks you would have to source different springs with stiffer compliance and pray the cirkus bearing could take the extra mass which is already at 4 tonnes per square inch at the thrust plate or contact point.

Cheers Tase.

Absolutely.

The Linn platter comes in around 4kg . Adding an extra 3kg , which would be similar to adding an extra platter, would put a strain on bearing,springs etc.

Me thinks you would have to source different springs with stiffer compliance and pray the cirkus bearing could take the extra mass which is already at 4 tonnes per square inch at the thrust plate or contact point.

Cheers Tase.

Ah, I thought that might be the case.

Answer? Buy the VPI.

Hey Cam can I have my SNA discount on this one, I've been saving them up for a few years now so should bring price down too...hmm, dunno might even be revenue neutral from your end. I'll half you on postage :D

*You did sign up for this offer...yeah?

Sorry if this is going to sound stupid, but how is this compare to jc verdier nouvelle? I am thinking of simplifying from my existing two pieces combination to a single chassis table.

Another question is can I use the ring on the verdier. This platter has a mass of 15kg. This would really solve some of my warp records issue

Hey Kevin, never heard a JC playing so couldn't tell you how they compare. As for using the ring, you should still check with the manufacturer first. Even though it has a heavy platter already, they may have little margin for deviation. 

Hey Kevin, never heard a JC playing so couldn't tell you how they compare. As for using the ring, you should still check with the manufacturer first. Even though it has a heavy platter already, they may have little margin for deviation.

Thanks for the input.

Answer? Buy the VPI.

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :hiccup  :hiccup

Congratulations on the sale of your item. If you feel you have benefited from using this system for the sale of an item through our classifieds system then please consider making a donation, or purchasing some StereoNET Merchandise.

-------------------------------------

Donation Payment Option

You can make a donation via Paypal (using Credit Card or Paypal Balance), or Direct Deposit.

Click below to make a donation:
donate-button.png

-------------------------------------

Merchandise Purchase Option

You can purchase one of our official StereoNET T-shirts, or other StereoNET merchandise by clicking the following link:
SNA_merch.jpg

Thank you, your support is appreciated and every dollar makes a difference.