NAD AV Receiver with Pioneer Kuro Plasma

Hi guys,

Last year I was having audio dropping out problems with two different NAD T785 AV Receivers. I ended up changing over to a Yamaha RX-V3800 AVR. The audio's nowhere near as outstanding as the NAD, but at least it doesn't drop out.

I've ruled out all possible causes of those audio drop-outs, other than some type of HDMI incompatibilty problem between the NAD and my Pioneer Kuro Plasma screen.

Do you, or do you know anyone, who is running a NAD AV Receiver with a Pioneer Kuro Plasma? I'm interested to know if there are any audio problems and what type of connection is being used.

Any help you can provide, will be appreciated.

I really loved the sound quality of the NAD T785 and would love to return to one, but I need to get to the bottom of the audio problems first.

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

hi chris, i cant answer your question exactly, other than to say i know that NAD seem to be struggling with HDMI implementation across their range.

i was looking into the T175 pre-pro recently and after reading through pages and pages of user problems, decided to keep clear.

no doubt they will eventually get on top of the issues, either through f/w updates or in their second gen (HDMI) models.

if you are really keen on NAD, id wait and follow the AVS thread on this AVR until such time as the issues are fixed first, before buying. either that or look at other brands.

good luck with it

hi chris, i cant answer your question exactly, other than to say i know that NAD seem to be struggling with HDMI implementation across their range.

i was looking into the T175 pre-pro recently and after reading through pages and pages of user problems, decided to keep clear.

no doubt they will eventually get on top of the issues, either through f/w updates or in their second gen (HDMI) models.

if you are really keen on NAD, id wait and follow the AVS thread on this AVR until such time as the issues are fixed first, before buying. either that or look at other brands.

good luck with it

Thanks a lot for your advice Cody.

Yes, I feel that's a pretty good approach. I'm thinking that's it's still too hard trying to go down this track with NAD at the present time. Fantastic sound, but just too hard.

I'm actually starting to think I might be better off 'upgrading' to a Pioneer AV Receiver. Their 'second top of the line' Model SC-LX81. I'm thinking Pioneer HDMI (AVR) talking to Pioneer HDMI (Screen), should be 'the best' match. I might get a slight improvement in both video and audio. Any immediate thoughts on that?

Thanks Cody,

Cheers,

Chris

any of the "common" brands, eg marantz, denon, sony, pioneer, yamaha etc should be fine, they all conquered HDMI compatibility a while ago.

a while back i had a Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi (was top of the line at the time) and found it to be poor for music. i havent heard the new models but they certainly are reviewing well so would be worth a look.

might be hard though finding one that is going to sound as good as the NAD, although recent experience with a Denon 4308 surprised me (in a very good way).

other avenues that may suit are either getting one of the "common brand" AVR's and using it as a processor, adding a quality power amp. or if music is more where you found them lacking, add a 2ch amp with HT bypass. the latter is the path i went down when i had the pioneer i mentioned.

good luck with it

You could simply bypass the problem by running the HDMI direct to the plasma and perhaps toslink to the NAD thereby removing it from the equation. No extra cables necessary. I do the same with a pioneer kuro/CA 640r setup and have no problems.

Kinda had to anyway as the CA wont split the HDMI signal.

Hi guys,

Last year I was having audio dropping out problems with two different NAD T785 AV Receivers. I ended up changing over to a Yamaha RX-V3800 AVR. The audio's nowhere near as outstanding as the NAD, but at least it doesn't drop out.

I've ruled out all possible causes of those audio drop-outs, other than some type of HDMI incompatibilty problem the NAD and my Pioneer Kuro Plasma screen.

Do you, or do you know anyone, who is running a NAD AV Receiver with a Pioneer Kuro Plasma? I'm interested to know if there are any audio problems and what type of connection is being used.

I really loved the sound quality of the NAD T785 and would love to return to one, but I need to get to the bottom of the audio problems first.

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

HDMI isn't really the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to A/V applications.

You'll find an interesting comment about HDMI (amongst other things mentioned) in a recent Len Wallis interview in the latest Aussie Hi-Fi magazine.

My contact at Harvey Norman also says that there are too many problems that are yet to be ironed out with HDMI (or perhaps getting uniformity between all manufacturers/users of this technology) before he'd advise anybody to upgrade to an HDMI equipped amp/processor.

Russ.

HDMI certainly can be a bit of a minefield - due mostly to poor implementation in particular products. if you do your homework beforehand, you can generally avoid most of the problems (or rather, the products the have the problems), but i do feel for the average consumer that isnt into A/V at all and just expects everything to work.

still, theres no way i'd go back, especially since getting into Blu-Ray where you are disadvantaged if you dont use HDMI.

any of the "common" brands, eg marantz, denon, sony, pioneer, yamaha etc should be fine, they all conquered HDMI compatibility a while ago.

a while back i had a Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi (was top of the line at the time) and found it to be poor for music. i havent heard the new models but they certainly are reviewing well so would be worth a look.

might be hard though finding one that is going to sound as good as the NAD, although recent experience with a Denon 4308 surprised me (in a very good way).

other avenues that may suit are either getting one of the "common brand" AVR's and using it as a processor, adding a quality power amp. or if music is more where you found them lacking, add a 2ch amp with HT bypass. the latter is the path i went down when i had the pioneer i mentioned.

good luck with it

Hi again Cody, thanks for all that.

I came to the same conclusion a few months back about adding a separate integrated stereo amp. for the music. And I added a nice Plinius 9200 which I'm LOVING for music and it's doing a decent job in HT Bypass mode with the Yamaha 3800. I must say it matches my Orpheus Signatures 'wonderfully'!

I'm looking at trialing the new Pioneer AVR in tandem with the Plinius to see if there's any improvement over the Yamaha 3800. I've an open mind, but will be interested to learn the outcome.

I'll let you know when I've done that and how it shapes up.

Cheers mate,

Chris

Hi guys,

I've ruled out all possible causes of those audio drop-outs, other than some type of HDMI incompatibilty problem the NAD and my Pioneer Kuro Plasma screen.

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

HDMI isn't really the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to A/V applications.

You'll find an interesting comment about HDMI (amongst other things mentioned) in a recent Len Wallis interview in the latest Aussie Hi-Fi magazine.

My contact at Harvey Norman also says that there are too many problems that are yet to be ironed out with HDMI (or perhaps getting uniformity between all manufacturers/users of this technology) before he'd advise anybody to upgrade to an HDMI equipped amp/processor.

Russ.

Thanks Russ for your interest and help. Yes, I've come to the same conclusion about HDMI. It's got a lot to answer for right now.

Rather than repeat myself about what I'm trialing next, please have a look at my reply to Cody's latest posting.

I'll let you guys know the outcome of what I discover. I'm hoping for a slight improvement in both audio and video quality over and above the Yamaha 3800. We'll see what happens. And I'll let you know.

Thanks again mate.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris

I was very pleasantly surprised by the sonic performance of the Pioneer AV Receiver - Model SC-LX81. Just bought it based its sonic performance against the equivalent Denon and Yamaha. D class that is really musical is definitely the way of the future. I will soon be putting it head to head against 2 channel SS power, could be a close one :) Definitely recommend giving it a listen if you can.

Hi Chris

I was very pleasantly surprised by the sonic performance of the Pioneer AV Receiver - Model SC-LX81. Just bought it based its sonic performance against the equivalent Denon and Yamaha. D class that is really musical is definitely the way of the future. I will soon be putting it head to head against 2 channel SS power, could be a close one :) Definitely recommend giving it a listen if you can.

Hi Antripodean,

Thanks very much for that. I must say i'm now starting to feel quite encouraged about the Pioneer SC-LX81. It sounds like you appreciate 'music' and your thoughts on the LX81 really appeal to me.

I've now lined up a 'trial' of an '81' this weekend. A guy in the trade is delivering one to me on Friday night and leaving it with me till Monday night.

We're going to leave the Yamaha 3800 in place and connect both it and the '81', via HDMI, to my Pioneer Plasma, to do a straight 'A/B comparison' on DVD Video. I'm hoping for at least a small 'lift' in performance.

For the audio comparison, I want to leave the Plinius, in HT Bypass mode, in place for the Mains and feed it from the preamp outs the '81.' I'll have to make some cable changes, so I won't be able to do a direct 'A/B' comparison, but it'll still be helpful to hear the difference.

After reading your thoughts, I'm really looking forward now to Friday night! I'll let you and the other guys know what I discover.

Thanks for your help and interest mate.

Chris C.

it will be interesting to hear how you go, great that you have been able to arrange a side by side in your home - thats certainly the best way to go.

the new pioneers do appear to be a completely new design, so hopefully the pre-section is also new, as thats (more specifically) what i found to be poor on the AX4 model. in my scenario, using external amps (musical fidelity) didnt really help.

NAD's HDMI implementation is the thorn in my side. But I wanted HD Audio and this was the only way to accomplish what I was after without the use of 21 more analogue cables. I was not prepared to downgrade to another brand or spend significantly more money on other separates.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know the 'home trial' of the Pioneer SC-LX81 that I had lined up with a local dealer this weekend has had to be postponed.

When we agreed to this last wekend, they had two in stock, now they've sold both and Pioneer Australia is apparently short of stock.

I'm away next weekend, so it will now have to wait to the following, 28th./29th. assuming there is stock of the Pioneer available then.

Quite disappointing, to say the least, but that's the way it is. When I'm eventually able to trial the Pioneer, I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers guys,

Chris C.

NAD's HDMI implementation is the thorn in my side. But I wanted HD Audio and this was the only way to accomplish what I was after without the use of 21 more analogue cables. I was not prepared to downgrade to another brand or spend significantly more money on other separates.

Hi Himey.

Thanks very much for your input. I agree with you about the audio quality of the NAD. I was really sorry to have to say goodbye to it. But it all just became too much.

I've since gone down the separate integrated stereo amp track (Plinius), so I'll have to do the best I can with an AV Receiver.

I'm looking forward to trialing a Pioneer to match the Kuro.

Thanks for your interest Himey.

Cheers,

Chris