Any rap music album that sounds best on vinyl?

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back.  I have an original US pressing that sounds pretty good - the tracks are superb.  These can still be bought for sane amounts of money  https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/775228?ev=rb

I've heard To Pimp A Butterfly (European copy) is well pressed and I have one on the way https://www.discogs.com/Kendrick-Lamar-To-Pimp-A-Butterfly/release/7568442

• Like 5

like andrew said, 'it takes a nation of millions..' is a landmark record that you just gotsta have!

other ones are the early dr. dre releases, 'the chronic', and snoop's official debut, 'doggystyle', which were mastered by bernie grundman.

also, 'sex styles' by kool keith is essential.

also, company flow is good.

and nwa's, 'straight outta compton', 'efil rof @#$%^!' and '100 miles n runnin''

Edited by analog brother
  • Like 5

The latest by Roots Manuva is quite good, and I've enjoyed Run The Jewels 2 as well

Eric B & Rakims "Follow the Leader" was one of my favourites in a former life. Must get another copy of that one!

Edited by Bear72
  • Like 1

Recommend please.

Rap music bashing is fine but go easy ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok , the title is an oxymoron right?

• Like 1

Rap? Oh dear David. So much to learn. So let's start by calling it hip hop. There are elements to hip hop culture. Rapping is one of them. Break dancing and graffiti are others. It's a culture and rapping is/was merely a part of it.

And now that I've finished being a schmarmy d!ck, I'd second the votes for Public Enemy and NWA but my recommendations are always for something more accessible to start off with; Jurassic 5 - Quality Control and Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow. Try Herbalisers Very Mercenary... Very cool indeed. Have fun.

A Tribe Called Quest's "People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm" has just been re-released and was a ground breaking hip hop album when it was released.

Cypress Hill's "Black Sunday" has had an excellent Music On Vinyl release, you'll probably find it on Discogs. Crazy good hip hop that has a playful Latino perspective

The Beastie Boys' "Solid Gold Hits" is still available and great sound quality.

The Herd  "The Sun Never Sets" is a great local hip hop album. Aussie hip hop is about the only politically aware Australian music genre these days

All iconic hip hop albums, great music and good sound quality

• Like 3

Rap? Oh dear David. So much to learn. So let's start by calling it hip hop. There are elements to hip hop culture. Rapping is one of them. Break dancing and graffiti are others. It's a culture and rapping is/was merely a part of it.

And now that I've finished being a schmarmy d!ck, I'd second the votes for Public Enemy and NWA but my recommendations are always for something more accessible to start off with; Jurassic 5 - Quality Control and Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow. Try Herbalisers Very Mercenary... Very cool indeed. Have fun.

Widens the field quite a lot when hip hop is included. Cool Dude.

That's why I didn't ask for hip hop music. I want the rapping to be central.

Hence the seeking of wisdom :P

In that case I'll bow out as I can add nothing here.

My mother once said, if...

:)

• Like 2

I like the Eminem idea to...anyone heard warran g regulate on vinyl? Is the newer 20th anniv press any good?

Thanks David.   I have Warren G that I bought at Tower records on Sunset in 1994 when seeing Lollapalooza. oh memories, however I digress.

How does it sound - Glorious!!    very well produced.   I would definately buy the reissue.    I Want it All is great as well.

Snoop Doggy Dog - Doggystyle is excellent

2nd Kendrick Lamar - To Butterfly and excellent

Both Run the Jewels albums are great and more classic aggro rap

As mentioned, NWA 100 miles and running, Public Enemy and first two Eminem albums are excellent

28219151220_1600b79e91_b.jpg

• Like 3

That's why I didn't ask for hip hop music. I want the rapping to be central.

Agreed. It is hard to listen to break dancing. I think my point there was that I don't think anyone who listens to hip hop calls it rap. Was a bit facetious.

BTW, I like mellow sort of rap music

Try the groups I have suggested then. Accessible. No caps being popped in asses, no ***** slappin hos, nice positive hip hop music and J5 and Blackalicious are widely thought of to be two of the greatest rap ensembles ever. They really took the craft to a whole other level. Edited by Hi-Fi heathen
  • Like 2

Agreed. It is hard to listen to break dancing. I think my point there was that I don't think anyone who listens to hip hop calls it rap. Was a bit facetious.

Try the groups I have suggested then. Accessible. No caps being popped in asses, no ***** slappin hos, nice positive hip hop music and J5 and Blackalicious are widely thought of to be two of the greatest rap ensembles ever. They really took the craft to a whole other level.

Thanks bro

Funny because the rappers I was listening to yesterday tupac and warren g were keep calling themselves rap musician.

Really would love Wu Syndicate Ice Age too if it's on vinyl

In that case I'll bow out as I can add nothing here.

My mother once said, if...

:)

Yep, that's the exact reason why I don't post in most of the music-related threads on SNA. Different strokes for different folks. One man's musical bliss is another man's ketamine...  ;)

• Like 1

Yep, that's the exact reason why I don't post in most of the music-related threads on SNA. Different strokes for different folks. One man's musical bliss is another man's ketamine... ;)

FWIW i really dont mind kanye sometimes......now flame me bro! :P