Rocking In The Granny Flat

Wow. This thing shows an absolute clean pair of heals to my Saturn R , M5 combo. Bigger, fuller,more detailed, wider and deeper soundstage, superior separation. Smooth, absolutely grain free but extended, dynamic and sparkling.Oddly feels like the Bryston just gained a hundred Watts as well.

I have had to pull the speakers, 100mm further out into the room. The actual stage height increased dramatically, vocalist were appearing at about 6 and a half feet, I like them about a foot lower so they seem about a foot above my eye line when seated. Bass became too full, again usually a sign that the speakers are too close to the rear wall, ribbons are now 1840mm from the rear wall. Having removed my spikes to get a richer sound I will put them back in and see if I can tighten the bass a little.

Colour me impresses. CD player, DAC, full valve pre all in one box is not really an area I would have thought I would tread. All your eggs in one basket, dead end for upgrades, but this would do very nicely thank you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vivianbl said:

Hi Hugh

Enjoying the story of your systems quest and your experiences as it unfolds!

Thanks for sharing.emoji1303.png

Many thanks vivianbl.

It has been a terrific day today. With the Ayon in I was suffering an upper / mid bass bloat and an over egged midrange. Too much vocal emphasis and whilst a full, rich and heavy bass it lacked real punch, thwack and attenuation.

Once again I needed too get the speakers interacting correctly with the room. I have ended up 200mm further away from the rear wall and bingo, real punch and balance. Finally I have trumped the sound of the B3 in the small room. I am beyond surprised just how capable these speakers are, they have exceeded my wildest hopes. I would have never dreamed 2 eight inch woofers could dig this deep and punch so hard. Truly dynamic, saturated mids and sweet, sparkling treble. Brilliant. 96dB and 500 Watts into 4 Ohms is an equation I would not have originally contemplated.

I am also amazed just how difficult it has proven to finally release their full potential. I knew it was all there but revealing it all simultaneously was a long process.

Need to find an Ayon  CD 5s and I am done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elcamry said:

You sure ?

Well old friend, you know I trust your ears so a visit might be in order to make sure I am not delusional or been drinking.....but yes mate ,the explosive force we heard is back but richer and with greater soundstage depth. 

• Like 2