Ooogh

Rocking In The Granny Flat

6 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Ah okay, for the man that wants everything in an amplifier.....Gryphon.

If you have one Neuroscience I recommend a road trip to SA. Take in the sights, drink some wine, reminisce about Don Dunstan, check out the Southern Freeway now it runs both directions. Any one in particular in your mind? Hope it’s not the second hand one with a 90k price tag.....

Anyone in SA sporting a Gryphon they would like to lug over to Crappy Valley?

1 hour ago, Ooogh said:

And the winner is........actually none of them.

I love my Audions but this is a bridge too far. Via the 2 Ohm tap they do some wonderful things. Pull the speakers way out and you can walk through the sound stage. Stuff like 10CC’s ‘I’m not in love’ just cascades around the room. Again with Lou Reeds ‘Take a walk on the Wild side ‘ the girls march forward 10 feet. I am yet to hear a SS amp that nails this stuff properly. The tiny nuances that express vocal phrasing and great singers  is there, not to the point of the PSE Silver Nights but delivering the wonders of the 300B. However, the demands of the load down low are just too much. Bass lacks bounce ,drive and leading edge.

The 14 BSTT  Bryston is getting on. Obviously not lacking in wedding tackle but it is just too slow. Plenty of mid bass weight but no speed down low. Sounds a bit lazy. The 4B3 was a different kettle of fish, lightning fast with awesome bass control , detail in spades and true sparkle up top with no edge. That Bryston made electric guitar explode from the speakers. Bad mistake selling it.

Now the Pass Labs. It does so much right but just not enough. It treads the middle ground with out quite being wonderful. In the end it doesn’t do anything amazing. Great balance top to bottom but lack real sparkle up top, just plays it too safe. In my opinion great treble sits just on the correct side of getting ‘sharp and pointy’. It needs true zing, great treble has to shimmer. Bass is very good, lots of bounce and boing, fat enough and fast enough but falls short of what these speakers can do with a 4B3 and possibly shaded by a Yamaha B2. Soundstage is wide enough without extending walls like the Audions but not quite deep enough for me. Midrange is smooth and detailed but again not quite as detailed as the Audions and 4B3 are, in different ways, to me great valve detail and SS detail are capturing different parts of the equation.

A big heavy hitting valve amp, Conrad Johnston comes to mind, might just do it. However a boat load of power valves can be a burden and the desire to continually roll valves, just to be sure,  gets expensive. I wouldn’t bother with less than a hundred Watts, probably want 200. VTL?

Honestly Hugh, I feel for your loss and a sense of guilt stealing your favorite toy as it were!😟

Sometimes we throw out the wrong things but more than one alternative I've found, rich tapestry of amps out there!

Interesting your choices,  obviously very different speakers with my 85db Hulgichs to your more efficient speakers, however I compared similar models to you. 

I auditioned a Pass XA30.5 and although beautiful midrange to die for the bass wasn't quite there due to lack of power I feel .

Had a Pass XA30.8 here for a few months recently and it was much, much closer in performance to the Bryston 4B3 , but again bit more bottom end, depth of soundstage and fizz so clear winner. 

Briefly trialled a Gryphon integrated and beautiful amplifier- the classic velvet fist .

Have had 3 different Conrad Johnson amps here and very special in so many ways, both valve and SS power and the SS sounded more tubelike believe it or not.

So yes a CJ could well be a perfect fit,  either a tube pre or even a SS Power amp / integrated.

Glad you've managed to sort out your room issues ,sorry again to be a lucky "saboteur" ! 😬

37 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Ah okay, for the man that wants everything in an amplifier.....Gryphon.

Speaking from experience are we? If so which model(s)?

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

If you have one Neuroscience I recommend a road trip to SA. Take in the sights, drink some wine, reminisce about Don Dunstan, check out the Southern Freeway now it runs both directions. Any one in particular in your mind? Hope it’s not the second hand one with a 90k price tag.....

Anyone in SA sporting a Gryphon they would like to lug over to Crappy Valley?

Indeed I do. I have owned Gryphons for probably 30 years. For me they have never been bested by many other amps I have owned or auditioned for myself (second system) or putting together systems for friends (for fun, not profit).

The Diablo is a remarkable integrated amp I think around 25k maybe 15 s/h but don't quote me.

I doubt that I will be lugging my 110kg Mephisto into my car for the road trip to SA. LOL

I will soon be selling my Antileon Signature here on Stereonet probably. rrp over 40k

Soundstage Ultra Review http://www.soundstageultra.com/features/twbas_20040601.htm

. I saw one on ebay recently for 21k reduced to 19. I think I will list it for 14,500. It is in the home of a dear friend who recently passed away. He owned a Halcro which will also be for sale. EDIT Also a gryphon sonata preamp

Anyway, sounds like a sales pitch but not really.

What caught my eye was your description of the treble of the Pass labs. I had a friend that wanted a system to a price point and I assembled the components for him. He is wealthy but did not want to spend the money for a 300k system that the dealer was suggesting, fair enough. I initially chose that pass labs for him that you mentioned. He likes warm and the amp IMO is fantastic just not , well a gryphon. The treble on a gryphon is what I call al dente, not too soft not too hard. The bass is awesome and the mids perfection. He ended up with a Gryphon Evo.

Edited by Audiophile Neuroscience

8 minutes ago, evil c said:

Honestly Hugh, I feel for your loss and a sense of guilt stealing your favorite toy as it were!😟

Sometimes we throw out the wrong things but more than one alternative I've found, rich tapestry of amps out there!

Interesting your choices,  obviously very different speakers with my 85db Hulgichs to your more efficient speakers, however I compared similar models to you. 

I auditioned a Pass XA30.5 and although beautiful midrange to die for the bass wasn't quite there due to lack of power I feel .

Had a Pass XA30.8 here for a few months recently and it was much, much closer in performance to the Bryston 4B3 , but again bit more bottom end, depth of soundstage and fizz so clear winner. 

Briefly trialled a Gryphon integrated and beautiful amplifier- the classic velvet fist .

Have had 3 different Conrad Johnson amps here and very special in so many ways, both valve and SS power and the SS sounded more tubelike believe it or not.

So yes a CJ could well be a perfect fit,  either a tube pre or even a SS Power amp / integrated.

Glad you've managed to sort out your room issues ,sorry again to be a lucky "saboteur" ! 😬

Ah Clive you Evil C! I made the offer old friend, my fault for being impatient. Very glad it lived up to expectations, would have been very disappointing if it had sucked.

Which CJ’s did you try? If offered a straight swap for the SS version would you take it or keep the Bryston? Was there a standout amongst them?Looking for ‘the one’ so no use stepping sideways. Was the Gryphon a better thing or just swings and roundabouts?

I was thinking of you only yesterday, saw that Allnic preamp and thought, ‘maybe Clive will buy it and I’ll grab his CJ!’  I still think you have the best moniker and avatar on SNA, you truly are an Evil C!

3 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Indeed I do. I have owned Gryphons for probably 30 years. For me they have never been bested by many other amps I have owned or auditioned for myself (second system) or putting together systems for friends (for fun, not profit).

The Diablo is a remarkable integrated amp I think around 25k maybe 15 s/h but don't quote me.

I doubt that I will be lugging my 110kg Mephisto into my car for the road trip to SA. LOL

I will soon be selling my Antileon Signature here on Stereonet probably. rrp over 40k

Soundstage Ultra Review http://www.soundstageultra.com/features/twbas_20040601.htm

. I saw one on ebay recently for 21k reduced to 19. I think I will list it for 14,500. It is in the home of a dear friend who recently passed away. He owned a Halcro which will also be for sale.

Anyway, sounds like a sales pitch but not really.

What caught my eye was your description of the treble of the Pass labs. I had a friend that wanted a system to a price point and I assembled the components for him. He is wealthy but did not want to spend the money for a 300k system that the dealer was suggesting, fair enough. I initially chose that pass labs for him that you mentioned. He likes warm and the amp IMO is fantastic just not , well a gryphon. The treble on a gryphon is what I call al dente, not too soft not too hard. The bass is awesome and the mids perfection. He ended up with a Gryphon Evo.

Would love to hear them all David. My problem is I am fishing at a lower price point, I have Blue Fin Tuna tastes but a Mullet budget! 6K second hand is about as far as I can travel and even that might include selling my beloved Audions. I fear hearing some of the truly hi end amps because Audio memory can be a terrible thing, I often forget people’s names whilst shaking their hands but I never forget great sound!

3 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

6K second hand is about as far as I can travel

The Halcro DM38 might be in that sort of price range, possibly a bit more, I really can't remember but can find out. It is also a fabulous sounding amp

Cheers

David

44 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

Speaking from experience are we? If so which model(s)?

It started with the reference one monoblocks 😉

Strange the odd orphan you have never heard of that sneaks through. @Gremrock recently sold a Magnus Ma300. I had never heard of it, not a piece of audio jewellery by any means, purposeful would be the best description. The member he sold it to just happened to be a 4B3 owner. He also sported a Halcro DM 38. In his words it bested them both across the spectrum, including bass weight, speed and tonality.  Further investigation showed it is a rare and rather special, beautifully engineered piece of kit. At $5.5k second hand a bit of a bargain. 

Strange how the wheel turns, genuine interest in Brystons, Gryphons, Hacros, Krells and Magnususes is not something I would have ever expected.

If you have interest in the Magnus, I have a friend with one I can ask if he wants to sell, I'm not sure what his plans are, but if there's a buyer, you never know..

6 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

If you have interest in the Magnus, I have a friend with one I can ask if he wants to sell, I'm not sure what his plans are, but if there's a buyer, you never know..

You are a good man to get some perspective from Gremrock. If my memory serves me correctly you had some Ambience Ribbons back in the day. Not sure if they were Reference or standard series. 

I know you found the Magnus to be superior to a number of big name amps you have owned. Did you ever mate it with the Ribbons? Given your experience is it a pairing you would be confident with?

Would appreciate you contacting your friend, he can only say no and I can only find a different path!

Cheers Amigo.

I had both standard and reference 1800s, the current owner ran them after we traded speakers and it was the best I've heard them. 

Ill ask the question:)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ooogh said:

Ah Clive you Evil C! I made the offer old friend, my fault for being impatient. Very glad it lived up to expectations, would have been very disappointing if it had sucked.

Which CJ’s did you try? If offered a straight swap for the SS version would you take it or keep the Bryston? Was there a standout amongst them?Looking for ‘the one’ so no use stepping sideways. Was the Gryphon a better thing or just swings and roundabouts?

I was thinking of you only yesterday, saw that Allnic preamp and thought, ‘maybe Clive will buy it and I’ll grab his CJ!’  I still think you have the best moniker and avatar on SNA, you truly are an Evil C!

There's no looking back Hugh,  onward and upward! 😁

Look at the time I was totally enamored with a 2100 CJ power amp which highlighted the signature magical sound they have and after that to a CA-200 Control amp which is extra special. 

At 185w/ channel certainly has plenty in the tank !

Back to original question- currently , out of my dead cold hands! 😉

The Vitus R100 and Gryphon shared some similarities,  Very smooth sounding but liked the tad more dynamic edge and depth  with the Bryston/ CJ pre.

Edit:

Forgot to mention a friend brought over a Magtech amp and TBH I didn't know what to expect. 

It was a very capable amplifier I could easily slot into my system. 

But horses for courses, they are all very good amplifiers in their own right!

Edited by evil c

I see you lurking there @Tony M.  Figuring you might need a Mangus to stick 300 Watts up your Gales!

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

It started with the reference one monoblocks 😉

Well you’ve just trumped me in a single sentence. 👊🏻

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ooogh said:

I see you lurking there @Tony M.  Figuring you might need a Mangus to stick 300 Watts up your Gales!

Ha!  I'm older and slower than you.  No way I could keep up with the pace of your amp quests, but it's fascinating looking on and I will hopefully find my way to Happy valley soon to have a listen to whatever supects you have in custody at the time.

I guess it's possible the Magnus could be the holy grail, but my bet would have to be on a more mainstream solution, simply because that's the way it's worked out most often in my experience.

A bigger class A Passlabs would have to be a good bet, based on the evidence so far and would avoid the tube hassles you mentioned.  Unfortunately, that would be a rare beast in this neck of the woods. 

Edited by Tony M