Sign in to follow this  
Ooogh

Rocking In The Granny Flat

2 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Cheers Jakey.

Bizaar that I far preferred the Audion’s with the NS1000s  but the B2 with the Ambience. Just shows that what appears right in theory rarely proves true in practice.

I think there are a few prospective buyers for the B2 , very recent full rebuild, but I will keep you in mind when the time comes. More concerning I am seriously contemplating selling my beloved Audions to fund this little exercise. Never thought I would ever consider such a thing.

Funny what comes and goes through a system. Sometimes we sell our stuff for something better. Sometimes it’s just the thrill of something new. In any case it’s all fun. 

I’ve got the NS-1000’s coming back soon. I’ll probably run them off the old Yammie A-2000. 

More amplifiers to try their luck driving the ribbons.

The ME 1400 just didn’t cut it.  Not sure if it is due to my valve preamp and the ME’s input impedance but the soundstage collapsed , thin presentation, total lack of body and involvement.

The McCormack DNA-1 did a lot better than expected. Very warm with lots of mid bass bloom, a bit of a smoothie. I would take the B2 over it any day of the week but those who hate any edge might prefer the DNA-1.

Nothing however gets anywhere near the 14BST. A different league. Will a 4BSST2 keep that magic whilst protecting my ribbons from excess voltage? Need to track one down for a demo!34796032-C9FF-448C-8822-1B088B70A4FA.thumb.jpeg.502448d4b3c287d23f99d3581400cf10.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

The ME 1400 just didn’t cut it.  Not sure if it is due to my valve preamp and the ME’s input impedance but the soundstage collapsed , thin presentation, total lack of body and involvement.

Hope you've got your flame-proof underpants on, Ooogh, coz the ME brigade will be after you!  😄

Although, yes, I suggest that the high Zout of a tube pre could well conflict with what I understand is the low Zin of an ME amp?

5 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Nothing however gets anywhere near the 14BST. A different league.

Very interesting.  Brystons are often used by Magnepan for their speaker demos - Maggies have similar low impedances.

You might like to try a Magtech though - another great amp for Maggies.

Andy

26 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

The McCormack DNA-1 did a lot better than expected. Very warm with lots of mid bass bloom, a bit of a smoothie. I would take the B2 over it any day of the week but those who hate any edge might prefer the DNA-1.

Nothing however gets anywhere near the 14BST. A different league. Will a 4BSST2 keep that magic whilst protecting my ribbons from excess voltage? Need to track one down for a demo!34796032-C9FF-448C-8822-1B088B70A4FA.thumb.jpeg.502448d4b3c287d23f99d3581400cf10.jpeg

Drool!!!! 

15 minutes ago, andyr said:

Hope you've got your flame-proof underpants on, Ooogh, coz the ME brigade will be after you!  😄

Although, yes, I suggest that the high Zout of a tube pre could well conflict with what I understand is the low Zin of an ME amp?

Very interesting.  Brystons are often used by Magnepan for their speaker demos - Maggies have similar low impedances.

You might like to try a Magtech though - another great amp for Maggies.

Andy

I am sure the ME brigade will be collecting baseball bats and rope as we speak but you can only call it as you hear it.

Systems live and die on synergy. I am sure a techno boffin could play about with the impedance matching or I could try a different, SS, preamp ,but that is not my intention. In this system, in this configuration, it just doesn’t work.

Trevors advice that high power, more specifically voltage, can posse a risk to the ribbons makes me a little wary of the Magtech.  Always willing to give one a go however!

I am not one to throw darts at the wall in the hope of hitting a winner. I need to hear each amp with these speakers to know which will rule them all. It will need to be something pretty special to beat the Bryston at it’s price second hand.

6 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Trevor's advice that high power, more specifically voltage, can pose a risk to the ribbons makes me a little wary of the Magtech.  Always willing to give one a go however!

I believe, Peter Chan (@Addicted to music) has used his Magtech with his Ambience ribbons (as well as his Maggies).  Ask him how it went.

Andy

Edited by andyr

Just now, andyr said:

I believe, Peter Chan has used his Magtech with his Ambience ribbons.

Andy

Interesting news indeed. Nothing better than riding on the coat tails of others. What is Peter’s user name on SNA if you / he doesn’t mind me dropping him a line?

7 minutes ago, andyr said:

I believe, Peter Chan (@Addicted to music) has used his Magtech with his Ambience ribbons (as well as his Maggies).  Ask him how it went.

Andy

here is your answer😀

How do the new speakers sound compared to the Yammies?

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

How do the new speakers sound compared to the Yammies?

Hello Happy,

For me, a totally different league. Dynamics are magnificent and the detail is beyond what I thought possible. Bass with the Bryston or B2 is beyond reproach. Add a good sub for the deepest stuff. Full of the string, leading edge and decay, not just a note. Way,way better than the Yammies.  Huge soundstage, deep and extremely wide. Electric guitars explode out of these and snare drums are as good as I have heard, period. Percussion in general is perfect. Real “crack”.They will frighten you with dynamic swings with the right amp. So fast, wonderful timing. They demand silver to reveal all the detail they present, I have always stuck with copper prior. They will tell you exactly the shortcomings of any amp and the sonic signature of your cables

The Yammies sound small, hard and veiled next to these. Both speakers respond very differently to amplifier changes but the NS1000s are a much easier load.

I am stunned by how good these speakers are and people who are hard to impress are taking a good long look at their strengths. They demand careful partnering but wow, is it worth it.

Not surprised....i bet they sound huge

If you get a chance to try an ME or a low impedance pre with the ME1400 it may show a better result. I borrowed a few ME amps last year to use with my passive ATC’s.  I had an 850 but no ME or low impedance pre. It was okay with my Doge 8 valve pre but only at low volumes. I switched to a Nad 51 which had a lower output impedance and thing improved quite a bit.

A few weeks later I got to try an ME1500 with an ME pre. No issues here although I reckon the big ME was a little too controlling over the woofers.

I’m now using active Atc’s and have found that the lower the output impedance from the pre the better they are.

5 minutes ago, gat474 said:

If you get a chance to try an ME or a low impedance pre with the ME1400 it may show a better result. I borrowed a few ME amps last year to use with my passive ATC’s.  I had an 850 but no ME or low impedance pre. It was okay with my Doge 8 valve pre but only at low volumes. I switched to a Nad 51 which had a lower output impedance and thing improved quite a bit.

A few weeks later I got to try an ME1500 with an ME pre. No issues here although I reckon the big ME was a little too controlling over the woofers.

I’m now using active Atc’s and have found that the lower the output impedance from the pre the better they are.

All good advice ,thanks gat.

Your experiences seem to mirror those of the ME1400s owner. He also has felt that over control of the bottom end on his monster Duntech’s. He may well chime in soon, but in his system he has also preferred the 14BST with its more involving mid bass and slightly more “humane” presentation. @christosd

I spoke to Peter Stein about the suitability of the 1500 for my sealed Passive atc’s. He said the big 1500 was more designed for something hard to drive like a Duntech whereas the Atc would be better suited to an 850 or something with less control. The Atc’s are not hard to drive but like to go loud and lots of power.

Not sure how that advice fits with Ambience though.

I’ve been using an ME pre with my active Atc’s recently and am very surprised at how it performs. It has the very latest upgrades. Much better than my Doge 8, benchmark and even an ME pre I borrowed recently that had the big power supply but not the latest mods.

I will add that I’m no ME fanboi, I’ve owned a lot of ME gear over the years and been happy enough to sell it. I quite often found it a little unrefined but this latest piece (the upgraded pre) is an improvement over the three others I’ve owned over the years.