Ooogh

Rocking In The Granny Flat

1 hour ago, Ooogh said:

@Addicted to music

Hi Peter, any thoughts on your amplifier experiences?

My ribbons are different to the Ambience.  So I can’t speak for the Ambience,  neither can speak for the ME or the Bryston.

What I can say is there is Definately an impedance mismatch as the ME are designed to have low input impedance, somits no good with preamps with high impedance. The owner of the 1400 drives it with a ME 25 so I’m at a lost as to why the ME 25/ ME 1400 wasn’t matched to drive the Ambience.  From what Trevor said to me the input impedance can be altered to suit high impedance output of preamps but that depends on what it can be altered to.

What I can say is that my ribbons are a product of Trevor Lees main drive back in the late 80s early 90s.  Let’s say we knew someone inside who could get it cheaper for us at the time.  I’ve had these ribbons for nearly 30yrs.  I’ve been using a DIY MOSFET Amp that was 240W @ 8ohms.  I have never had an issue but I knew the day will come when I need to recap a 25yr old amp that’s been driving 1.8ohms all its life.  The Magtech took over where the DIY mosfet left off and I’ve never looked back.   I chose the Magtech out of the  ME and the Bryston.  The Magtech at the time was the cheaper and an  affordable option, the ME was nowhere to be found and the Bryston was so much more expensive.    I’m not trying to sell you a Magtech,  although I do own one,  or am I promoting the other 2.  When it comes to driving ribbons it’s like I said and posted earlier, It’s all about current drive and the number of output devices sharing the load, and this usually saids more power.  

Heres some pics of my ribbons and the Magtech.

9563A23B-39B4-48E8-8193-3F1F11C4FDD1.jpeg

38369131-17DF-44B2-87A0-B418E8D6AEB6.jpeg

8CDFA6B3-BD62-4D9F-8CE1-58AD9340B124.jpeg

53D8F49E-4E22-45A8-8DC8-0DA8EDFACEB7.jpeg

409AD6AA-1F53-4FE1-AF2D-46770CF42B5F.jpeg

8 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

The owner of the 1400 drives it with a ME 25 so I’m at a lost as to why the ME 25/ ME 1400 wasn’t matched to drive the Ambience. 

Yep. As I mentioned, there hasn't been a single pre that has sounded even acceptable to my ears as the 1400/25 combo at my house for those reasons . As with most of the Adelaide Hills GTG, it started with a text,   Hugh then had 20 minutes to drop everything, drive to my house to help me load the thing while I had a site meeting with a renderer. We then  drove another 20 minutes, unloaded it, tried it, had a cup of coffee, and I was back at work an hour later and noone knew I had gone! No carefully planned amp GTG here people, just opportunistic Hifi fun! 

Convincing Hugh to ditch the beautiful AN M5 is another thing, particularly given how nice it all sounds with the borrowed Bryston. If people really want, they can convince Hugh to let me bring the 25 pre over and confirm things for other Ambience owners. 

11 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

My ribbons are different to the Ambience.  So I can’t speak for the Ambience,  neither can speak for the ME or the Bryston.

What I can say is there is Definately an impedance mismatch as the ME are designed to have low input impedance, somits no good with preamps with high impedance. The owner of the 1400 drives it with a ME 25 so I’m at a lost as to why the ME 25/ ME 1400 wasn’t matched to drive the Ambience.  From what Trevor said to me the input impedance can be altered to suit high impedance output of preamps but that depends on what it can be altered to.

What I can say is that my ribbons are a product of Trevor Lees main drive back in the late 80s early 90s.  Let’s say we knew someone inside who could get it cheaper for us at the time.  I’ve had these ribbons for nearly 30yrs.  I’ve been using a DIY MOSFET Amp that was 240W @ 8ohms.  I have never had an issue but I knew the day will come when I need to recap a 25yr old amp that’s been driving 1.8ohms all its life.  The Magtech took over where the DIY mosfet left off and I’ve never looked back.   I chose the Magtech out of the  ME and the Bryston.  The Magtech at the time was the cheaper and an  affordable option, the ME was nowhere to be found and the Bryston was so much more expensive.    I’m not trying to sell you a Magtech,  although I do own one,  or am I promoting the other 2.  When it comes to driving ribbons it’s like I said and posted earlier, It’s all about current drive and the number of output devices sharing the load, and this usually saids more power.  

Heres some pics of my ribbons and the Magtech.

9563A23B-39B4-48E8-8193-3F1F11C4FDD1.jpeg

38369131-17DF-44B2-87A0-B418E8D6AEB6.jpeg

8CDFA6B3-BD62-4D9F-8CE1-58AD9340B124.jpeg

53D8F49E-4E22-45A8-8DC8-0DA8EDFACEB7.jpeg

409AD6AA-1F53-4FE1-AF2D-46770CF42B5F.jpeg

Nice one Peter. Cheers for all the information. Looks like I really need to hear a Magtech, if it is good enough for you and SSZ then it must sound good.

Anyone got one in Adelaide? Usual bribery and corruption available for anyone who would like to bring one over.

@christosd

all in good fun.. it’ll be interesting to see the results with the ME25/1400 combo.  I’m very sure it’ll be what Hugh is looking for.

OTOH I understand the need to keep a valve Preamp in the mix as there is an attachment to it.  I haven’t had a look inside the latest Bryston, but I’m not aware of the output impedance of the AN Preamp.  But in saying that the Magtech is like every other typical design LIKE IT FRIGGIN SHOULD BE and in my books has a high input impedance of 100K for unbalance RCA.  Note the Balance is 1k that’s supper low.

1 minute ago, Ooogh said:

Nice one Peter. Cheers for all the information. Looks like I really need to hear a Magtech, if it is good enough for you and SSZ then it must sound good.

Anyone got one in Adelaide? Usual bribery and corruption available for anyone who would like to bring one over.

One brand of speakers a Magtech won’t integrate well with is the Martin Logan’s.  But then again the only thing that integrate well with a Martin Logan’s are Pass Labs.  That’s why a respected SNA member here let the Magtech go, his Pass Lab Aleph integrates super well with his pair of Martin Logan’s.    Everything with the Magtech is there like the Pass Lab, however with the Magtech it places a overpowering bass and midrange that veils the SQ on the ML.  Even at Tivoli HiFi none of there electronics integrate well either.  Apart from that the Magtech does very well on Magnaplanar such as the 1.7.    Another that’s worth considering is a Gyphon.  I heard a gryphon integrated on a pair of Dynaudio, it’s the best I heard from that pair of Dynaudio.