Speaker re-veneering in Melbourne

Hi all,

I've got a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10B's, a single Polk LF14 and a pair of Monitor 4's that I'd like to get re-veneered in a real wood walnut veneer.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where this could be done in Melbourne?

I also realise some people can do this themselves, unfortunately I'm not one of them 😀

Cheers

Edited by PMac76
  • Like 2

Hi Peter

I don't think veneering is an easy job due to the  front edge being angled.

It could be done but it needs a lot of time, I was going to offer but

when I saw the angles noway.

I think it would be easier to make new boxes.

I don't think John of Arranmar Acoustics would do it but no harm asking.

I have a factory where I do cabinet making part time semi retired

and made plenty of speaker boxes.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info, I might be interested in new boxes but have a few questions since it's an idea I haven't really contemplated before.

Does changing boxes alter the sound at all?

Are new speaker boxes made of chipboard or mdf with veneer glued to them?

I'd appreciate other people's thoughts on changing speaker boxes as well.

Thanks

@@PMac76

C\board is not use anymore, old boxes were usually not as thick as good quality boxes today.

mdf has real veneer bonded to the board, black wood grain is vinyl coated and not strong.

Mdf will make the best boxes, the will be better than c\board because it is much denser and

has lot less resonance making the sound a lot better. Older boxes in general didn't have much 

bracing inside

Peter 

To do the 10Bs.

Shallow boxes like that are easier to veneer because a single veneer flitch can be used.[no joining required].

The old veneer has to be removed.Front veneer strip glued on and trimmed back flush.New veneer applied to sides and trimmed back.Then top and bottom .

Sanded and polished.

Probably about 20 hours labour [say $1500 plus veneer ,glue and polish say $300] All up under $2000.

Edited by THOMO

......and if you were lucky enough to have Thomo do it, it would look superb. I've seen some of his woodworking and it's a shame for you you're not this side. There must be keen Thomo like people over there though, surely.

Thanks Peter & Thomo for your insight of how big a job it is.

So, how does building new speaker boxes compare price wise?

I am willing to spend some money, but wasn't anticipating spending $2K on $600 speakers. That's $300 speakers, $300 postage with eBay global postage. eBay postage being the problem, since 5 out of the 16 corners were chipped.

But, I must say I am enjoying listening to these speakers and will probably get them recapped as well. I liked the look of a pair of Tannoy XT8F speakers, so I gave them an audition. Admittedly they were being played through a Cheaper CD player and an AV receiver, but to me they weren't anywhere near as enjoyable as my 10B's, played though my valve integrated amp and Nakamichi CD player.

The salesman suggested I probably need to look at a higher price bracket. Need to spend more then $4K rrp to get better then $300 vintage, really, I said. 😀

That's when I thought of just servicing and beautifying my 10B's.

Or maybe I should try other hi end audio stores for a different experience?

Edited by PMac76

Hi Peter were the speakers damaged by ebay get your money back my ess amt tweeters were destroyed

by global shipping program. I will never buy when someone uses that.I got my money back $600 they kept

$35 . take photos and try to claim for damages but that would depend no when you purchased.

Peter