Sign in to follow this  
delh78

Upgrade CD player or go for a DAC

Yep, that's what I thought. If I'm going to rely on the Marantz as a transport and add a DAC, would potentially need to upgrade the internal clock as well to get the best out of the system? I've stumbled across a couple of companies that sell after market clocks - don't know if any of them are any good?

I take on board what others have said. In particular I love the concept of the OPPO 105, and this is ultimately where I will head for my main living room system, but I really have a different agenda with this set-up in that I still want to be able to go and spin a disk in the pool room, whether that be a big black one or a smaller shiny one. The need to get the CD collection out of the living room and away from the young kids is one of the main drivers for this upgrade.

Yep, that's what I thought. If I'm going to rely on the Marantz as a transport and add a DAC, would potentially need to upgrade the internal clock as well to get the best out of the system? I've stumbled across a couple of companies that sell after market clocks - don't know if any of them are any good?

~

just get them to demonstrate the benefit if there is any....am not totally sold there is in a lot of cases with supposed "mods" some of them are quite expensive and not the kind of thing likely get your money back either. modding is one way but could also also get another rung up in the ladder with a better player in the first place :)

just get them to demonstrate the benefit if there is any....am not totally sold there is in a lot of cases with supposed "mods" some of them are quite expensive and not the kind of thing likely get your money back either. modding is one way but could also also get another rung up in the ladder with a better player in the first place :)

I am not big fan of upgrading the unit if it going to cost you the same amount buying a good CDP.

I think either way you go with set priority which one you want upgrade and do it gradually if you want. A DAC or CDP first.

I take on board what others have said. In particular I love the concept of the OPPO 105, and this is ultimately where I will head for my main living room system, but I really have a different agenda with this set-up in that I still want to be able to go and spin a disk in the pool room, whether that be a big black one or a smaller shiny one. The need to get the CD collection out of the living room and away from the young kids is one of the main drivers for this upgrade.

That's one of the best thing with something like the 105. If the kids need to listen to tunes, it's dead easy, a tablet with the app loaded after ripping all the CDs to a USB 2TB 3.0 HDD is effortless. The tablet also controls volume, dead simple, the files are in alphabetical order. No little fingers on physical media, no accidental scratches or damages. I use 2 HDD as one is a back up, it's not even in RAID configuration, a Lenovo laptop with 2 X USB 3.0 support can transfer a full CD 700MB from one to the other HDD in less than a minute!

You've kinda hit it for advice with the M51, no?

Would be pretty easy to acquire one s/h, explore DAC life, if you don't like it sell at minimal loss. They seem an evergreen thing on SNA.

So does every other DAC in its price range. Or you can go PS Audio or a Bricasti M1 at $15k.

The M51 has a NAD house sound, you either hate or love it!

If only the Oppo 105 had a Ht Bypass then it would be a no brainer for me, frustrating.

If only the Oppo 105 had a Ht Bypass then it would be a no brainer for me, frustrating.

it doesnt .... because I think you have it mistaken what a ht bypass is ... perhaps ?

the oppo is not an analog pre amp :)

Don't waste your time on another CDP, just get a DAC and use your current spinner as a transport to feed the signal to the DAC.

it doesnt .... because I think you have it mistaken what a ht bypass is ... perhaps ?

the oppo is not an analog pre amp :)

It's a friggin universal jack of all trade bluray player... :D. Who would have guess? :D

It's a friggin universal jack of all trade bluray player..

...........and as good as it is..............it is a master of none :)

...........and as good as it is..............it is a master of none :)

And to think, that I didn't even buy it to play bluray.... :P

For a while I used the oppo 105 in a dual system. HDMI to my AVR and analogue outputs to my 2-channel preamp. Can sort of work a HT bypass.

Oppo is definitely not a bad player but it definitely not as good as a CD plater on the same price range. A good DAC on your price range is a good start. When your Marantz CD player decide to say goodbye to you then you cab dip into CD market or when you found what you wanted.

The other options would be a Network Player which can play media files and build in DAC.

@@Davysn had a Quad CDP 2 for sale. I use one and love it. Lots of digital inputs for server/streamer tv whatever you need. It also has a digital output so you can upgrade to higher quality dac at a later date. And it plays cds of course.

Thanks mate. It is still available for sale. DAC is very effecient to upgrade sounds quality. Cheers. Edited by Davysn

Just as a bit of an update for anyone interested, I took the plunge and went for a second hand Cyrus CD8x and optional PSX-r power pack. Purchased here on stereonet.

I've only hooked up the CDP to date as I want to get used to the sound before plugging in the power pack.

The difference between the old Marantz CD6000 ose and the Cyrus can only really be described as night and day. Whilst I'm not in a position to ultimately pass advise on whether I am better off than going for the DAC option, I am very happy with the decision made.

Whilst reading up about the Cyrus, one reviewer commented on how correctly isolating the CDP created a massive difference to the sound quality. Whilst I have the components on a dedicated AV rack consisting of glass shelves supported by rubber ball style supports (Bell'o) I'd be interested to hear if anyone else in the real world has an opinion on this?

(Now then... onto the turntable ..... or the phono stage ...... or the cartridge...... )

(Now then... onto the turntable ..... or the phono stage ...... or the cartridge...... )

It never stops does it? Unless you get therapy. :unsure:

Just as a bit of an update for anyone interested, I took the plunge and went for a second hand Cyrus CD8x and optional PSX-r power pack. Purchased here on stereonet.

I've only hooked up the CDP to date as I want to get used to the sound before plugging in the power pack.

The difference between the old Marantz CD6000 ose and the Cyrus can only really be described as night and day. Whilst I'm not in a position to ultimately pass advise on whether I am better off than going for the DAC option, I am very happy with the decision made.

Whilst reading up about the Cyrus, one reviewer commented on how correctly isolating the CDP created a massive difference to the sound quality. Whilst I have the components on a dedicated AV rack consisting of glass shelves supported by rubber ball style supports (Bell'o) I'd be interested to hear if anyone else in the real world has an opinion on this?

The CD8X I can attest is a very good player ! Had one and a PSX-R

However.... The newer CDi cyrus is better again.... :D such is the nature of things...