Qwertyqaz

Wireless IP Camera for Home

3 hours ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Bit locked into Netgear's own solutions though.

Unfortunately so.  And there's the catch. 

3 hours ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Something at that price point that can't use a NAS to record is a bit offputting.

That may be true but for me, having a cloud based storage to record makes more sense to me.  Thieves will roam around the house and loot your laptops, NAS, router, modem etc  So having your recording stored locally on a NAS may not be the best approach. 

On ?1?/?24?/?2017 at 2:03 PM, Darren69 said:

Meh, bit the bullet and got an 8 camera Swann set up and will simply take my time routing cables. :P

$575 from Harvey Norman.

Correction, $475, had $900 on the price tag...and it's all done!!

Took me three or four days of up ladders and laying under the house covered in sweat and dirt and another day in front of the pooter fine tuning but it has all turned out very good.

I got a second screen, a cheap Samsung VGI setup for $125, all hooked up and a goer.

Then, it takes about half a day of just testing, walking around and seeing how your cameras are behaving in their given area. I have turned the sensitivity down on some, left them at default on others. I have not had to turn any 'up'.

Swann camera's are from 1 to 8 (I think), the higher the number, the more sensitive. You can also specify areas for the cameras to look at, to cancel out swaying garden fronds etc. The way it is set up now, the dog does not set it off but I do, passing cars etc are not picked up but they are when they come in the driveway at all and so on. A good breeze blowing the bike cover around, aussie flags in the shed etc don't turn them on but they might if it is very windy.

I have my unit set to send snapshots to my email address so even if Mission Impossible music starts and someone slides down from the ceiling and takes it, I have 'something' but as mentioned previously, not as foolproof as a cloud setup but you aren't left with nothing either.

At night the cameras give off a soft red glow. Cameras can be viewed through your phone.

For under 500 bucks (say 650 inc the new monitor), the Swann setup, with lifetime support and two spare cameras (I used 6 of 8), should be good enough for moi. :)

On 14/07/2016 at 0:30 PM, Qwertyqaz said:

Its a little too dear for a solution that's only temporary.

Any further recommendations?

Don't laugh - a second-hand babycam may do what you want :)

Have a look at some of the entry level d-link IP cameras in conjunction with their USB recording box to record video if needed.

JDH

The Hikvision cameras have both wireless capabilities and onboard storage through a micro SD card. They don't seem to have it listed in the specs on their website though. 

Sponsor

A couple of friends recently installed these & for a budget unit seem to work quite well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZOSI-960P-4CH-HD-Network-NVR-2500TVL-Wireless-IP-CCTV-Security-Camera-System-/181927868940?hash=item2a5bbefa0c:g:5GUAAOSwo4pYZibU

You need to fit a HD for the recording function.

4 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

A couple of friends recently installed these & for a budget unit seem to work quite well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZOSI-960P-4CH-HD-Network-NVR-2500TVL-Wireless-IP-CCTV-Security-Camera-System-/181927868940?hash=item2a5bbefa0c:g:5GUAAOSwo4pYZibU

You need to fit a HD for the recording function.

Hey Clayton,

I looked at wi fi versions and once I realised I still had to get power to them, well I went for fully wired. I also like how it all operates without affecting my wi fi at all.

Mine has been working great and all I seem to record is rain, moths at night or very amusing mud dauber wasps that seem to like looking at themselves hovering in front of the lens. Not so much as one single stray cat or dog at two in the morning or anything.

On 2017-3-17 at 10:41 AM, Darren69 said:

Hey Clayton,

I looked at wi fi versions and once I realised I still had to get power to them, well I went for fully wired. I also like how it all operates without affecting my wi fi at all.

Hey Darren,

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread but did you come across the Netgear Arlo? JB HIFI have a 3 camera system for $499. I know, it isn't the 8 cameras that you got with Swann but they don't need fixed power. 

Wondered if you compared the Swann to these?

11 hours ago, demiliam said:

Hey Darren,

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread but did you come across the Netgear Arlo? JB HIFI have a 3 camera system for $499. I know, it isn't the 8 cameras that you got with Swann but they don't need fixed power. 

Wondered if you compared the Swann to these?

Hey Liam, no bro, I simply made the decision to go wired, didn't do any comparisons between brands/components. Once I heard that Wi-Fi may slow your home system down I didn't go that way.

old iPhone 4s are worth considering, with super cheap sim plans, battery backup, low voltage power and they are immune to the simple bypass of all of your expensive systems are prone to.

I just installed a new Axis P1365Mk2 camera to replace an Axis Q1604 and I'm blown away by the picture quality and low light capability. The Q-series are their high-end camera, but now the P-series cameras are so good there really is no need for a Q in a home installation.