JBL 4435 crossover update

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, VanArn said:

It is more to do with achieving the correct positioning of the coil  equidistant to the pole plate, and the cone suspension and spider to the frame. The genuine JBL cone assemblies being pre-assembled provide  no leeway when fitted to the wrong model, although they may operate without rubbing. I prefer to have the speaker parameters measured after assembly and even going to the extent of testing the flux density as part of the preliminaries.  Additional measurements of  the impedance and  the phase of the speakers to be used , are required to  design an improved  passive xover  if you do not wish to use the active solution.  The mass ring as used with the 2235 colours the sound and I am surprised that this noticeable effect does not seem to be a contentious issue on some of the Lansing forums.

Hmmmm the more I find out the worse it gets. Anyway it's a long term plan. Maybe I'll wait for 2234 or 2235 to turn up. 

Guest jakeyb77
2 hours ago, VanArn said:

It is more to do with achieving the correct positioning of the coil  equidistant to the pole plate, and the cone suspension and spider to the frame. The genuine JBL cone assemblies being pre-assembled provide  no leeway when fitted to the wrong model, although they may operate without rubbing. I prefer to have the speaker parameters measured after assembly and even going to the extent of testing the flux density as part of the preliminaries.  Additional measurements of  the impedance and  the phase of the speakers to be used , are required to  design an improved  passive xover  if you do not wish to use the active solution.  The mass ring as used with the 2235 colours the sound and I am surprised that this noticeable effect does not seem to be a contentious issue on some of the Lansing forums.

From what I've read the the E-140 magnet is 1 16th thicker but the actual top plate (gap depth) is the same. Also making it sweeter in the mid frequency. 

Guest jakeyb77

Questions gang. So if I run each 4435 clone Low end off a Monoblock. Can I run both woofers in a series? Also if using the active JBL Xover will I need to add something so the right woofer only runs less than 100HZ? 

Guest jakeyb77

I bought two more bi-radials that will arrive tomorrow also. 

So far I've managed 

2x2234H drivers $300

2x JBL Active crossovers $220

2xJBL 2425H CD and horns $300

2xJBL 2334 horns $300

So $1120 all up and only need cabinets and two more drivers. 

:thumb:

• 5 months later...
Guest jakeyb77
On 29/11/2017 at 11:02 AM, lusk said:

Seeshas those left and right speakers are serious.

Probably better to put the horn over the midbass driver like original than what is shown if you going to copy that, and some better bracing.

Went to the factory and we discussed this box. The original 4435 weigh 102kgs whereas this custom 4435 is all solid birch and well braced. In fact this box weighed 320kgs completed. 

Went to the factory and we discussed this box. The original 4435 weigh 102kgs whereas this custom 4435 is all solid birch and well braced. In fact this box weighed 320kgs completed. 

Was this at Aranmar?