Replacement or better Capacitor

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what capacitor Brand and type to replace some buldgeing

Samwha Series WB 470uF 25V electrolytic from the power supply section of an induction cooktop.

Samwha caps are radial 10mm x 16mm with 5mm lead spacing 105 degrees C

Was thinking of Panasonic FM Series with maybe a higher voltage rating of say 35V?

Any ideas of a suitable better cap?

Panasonic FL, FM, FC, NHG are all good replacements. 35v and up is fine (even though the original rated cap was 25v, it doesn't hurt to have a bit more headroom).

RS Components AU has some of the mention Panasonics in stock. Less than $10 shipped if placed through online order.

• Like 1

Check out RS Components or Element14. Search for a cap with a 125 degree rating. That is the most important parameter for your needs. Temperature, not Voltage. Brand names will be limited in that temperature range. IOW: Take what you can get. If you can't source 125 degree C units, then restrict your search to 105 degree C units and look for the ones with the longest life-span. That will probably be 10,000 hours. Possibly 5,000 hours.

• Like 2

Thanks, much appreciated.

This has been causing an intermittent problem on the Miele induction cook top Error FE 32 or FE 30

that has slowly gotten more regular.

Not unusual. Appliance repair guys are lazy (and possibly, not too bright). If they can't replace the entire module/PCB, they just tell the client to buy a new one. All for what is often just a $2.00 capacitor.

• Like 1

samwahhhhhh are a known 'bad cap'.

for the price steal, i mean, meile charge they can afford to use proper parts.

really disappointed that theyd use caps that are known to have issues...

I go through the unit and swap out all caps.

i dont think ive seen a panasonic or vishay go bad so that can narrow your hunt.

Edit, I wonder if you use some 'fine golds' or low esr panasonic fr series if the food would sound better ..............

Edited by Green Wagon
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses.... Sound wise my son has some techno stuff that sounds similar to the cook top from time to time... :)

According to my better half...  repair guys estimated that a repair cost of between $800 -$1500 or thereabouts..without actually coming out and doing any PD..

So that got my attention..... :ohmy:

Thanks again.

Edited by ummagumma
  • Like 1

What a rort.

Just like how meile claim they don't price fix which is illegal.

Sure you don't. thats why the resellers say they can't give any discounts as the price is set by meile........................

What model is it ?

Might have to do some preventative on ours. Awesome, another job to add to the list.

KM5753. 4 plate induction.

Paid a lot of $ for it. When new it failed after about 1 week. It was replaced.

For the original cost and some of the longevity claims of the manufacturer I would of expected that they would of used better spec'd components in my opinion....

That said it was reliable for several years after that until about the last 12 months.

Been great while working and my wife loves it.

Not really wanting to bag the manufacturer but their servicing / probably more the spare parts  costs are extremley high, in my opinion, in this country.

My advice and some of my friends our families is that they buy say ovens/cooktops/dishwashers with say a 5 year warranty that are relatively cheap and

even if they have to replace them a few times they could  still be ahead...provided the replacements still fit the cut outs etc...

Am thinking about all those other Samwhas in the rest of it now.... :emot-bang:

Edited by ummagumma

KM5733. 4 plate induction.

Paid a lot of $ for it. When new it failed after about 1 week. It was replaced.

For the original cost and some of the longevity claims of the manufacturer I would of expected that they would of used better spec'd components in my opinion....

That said it was reliable for several years after that until about the last 12 months.

Been great while working and my wife loves it.

Not really wanting to bag the manufacturer but their servicing / probably more the spare parts  costs are extremley high, in my opinion, in this country.

My advice and some of my friends our families is that they buy say ovens/cooktops/dishwashers with say a 5 year warranty that are relatively cheap and

even if they have to replace them a few times they could  still be ahead...provided the replacements still fit the cut outs etc...

Am thinking about all those other Samwhas in the rest of it now.... :emot-bang:

Sorry, but I refuse to purchase anything that's European made, simply because I've worked on too many products, especially kitchen appliances and I haven't worked on kitchen appliances! but when you pull one apart you know why. Technika has stainless steel that rust the minute it's exposed to water... WT! And rangehoods that can't take it all the way! Great looking products that look like they are the part, but it's just that, all smoke and mirrors.

• Like 1

samwahhhhhh are a known 'bad cap'.

No they are not. Genuine Samwah capacitors from Korea are decent caps for the money and some of there range that are high ripple and low esr are comparable to the Panasonic variants. There photoflash capacitors are also commonly used throughout many high end DSLR camera's. 

We've got a km6317 january '13 - $2.5k

so yes, very interested in the pics.

only looks to be a few electros.

do em all I say.

for what its worth i doubt its heat that killed them. More likely poor construction (of the caps that is)

oh, and these days we have better laws that mean if something expensive doesnt last, you can claim warranty on the basis that as an expensive item, it should last longer than a cheap one.

yes yes, not the right wording but thats the general jist.....

• Like 1

We've got a km6317 january '13 - $2.5k

so yes, very interested in the pics.

only looks to be a few electros.

do em all I say.

for what its worth i doubt its heat that killed them. More likely poor construction (of the caps that is)

oh, and these days we have better laws that mean if something expensive doesnt last, you can claim warranty on the basis that as an expensive item, it should last longer than a cheap one.

yes yes, not the right wording but thats the general jist.....

The other caps with a T shaped cut for safety relief on the top are; I could be wrong but have the Panasonic hallmark, it's not shown here but the the Panasonics have a "M" in a square. Notice these haven't ballooned.

Think you are right about the other caps...

Looks like the only Samwhas are the two 470uF failures..would of been nice if they stuck to Pana's for the lot...

No town gas in the street here...except for what I produce.. :rolleyes: 

If I was cynical ....this may be how  in built obsolescence is built into products....have a couple of lower spec'd parts that will almost certainly fail after warranty / fail first.

Make sure the expensive parts of the gear is relatively robust...easy low cost repair and keeps the cash flow going... :confused:

• Like 1

If I was cynical ....this may be how  in built obsolescence is built into products....have a couple of lower spec'd parts that will almost certainly fail after warranty / fail first.

Make sure the expensive parts of the gear is relatively robust...easy low cost repair and keeps the cash flow going... :confused:

Lots of open possibilities in manufacturing,

The common is that they have run out of supply of one value and an alternate supply is used.

Cost cutting where the engineers are questioned a cheaper part can be used as an alternative.

Recently I have been given directive on what's called "rework" Possible injury can occur and I had to replaced metal rails as they had the potential to collapse and series injury can occur.....

Ended up getting Panasonic EEU-TP1V471B ALUMINUM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITOR, 470UF 35V 12.5mm x 20mm.

It was the closest available  for ESR, Ripple etc to the original  and had a high temp rating, would  physically fit (just) and was in stock at E14.

• Like 2

Ok just to finish off this topic...the caps did the job..caps $9.

Lessons...some of the plastic locking clips that retain the cables are very fragile mainly near the hot areas.

Not really recommending this for anyone not familiar with equipment repair and the need to be cautious and

observe all relevant safety precautions.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Edited by ummagumma
  • Like 2