Using 2 channel Power Amp for 4 in ceiling Atmos Speakers

I am thinking of getting one of the new Integra DRX-4 7.2 Atmos AVR's since for some silly reason Integra didn't include and extra pre out for 5.1.4 it is only 5.1.2 can I use my Rotel to drive 4 in ceiling Atmos speakers. I understand they wont be descret but I have a 8M long room so will give a better spread.

post-113667-0-72088600-1468015895_thumb.

please dont...

perhaps dont understand what atmos and 3D object based audio is all about. its not like old digital formats and about just creating some fill...

its about discrete channels, and precisely creating a sound mix and utilising these channels to move objects in 3D space. and works extremely well. watching star trek into the darkness you hear the ship moving on above ...but its not just about height information....what the heights do is create possibility to pin point in space...so the spears being thrown in the opening scenes for instance move across the space towards the side past your ears !  till they end up on screen

please dont follow onkyos stupidity with silliness ! :D 

seriously though I suspect not stupidity on onkyos part here, just cost cutting to fit in price bracket. I suspect they think most people if using an AVR will be running their 3D audio speakers off the AVR and if wanting to go full 7.1.4 using a separate 2ch amp for say mains...or that people buying it rather than upper models might as best manage 7.1.2

just either save a bit more for the model above that does allow this or use the rotel for 2 other channels e.g. the mains where probably better utilised.

• Like 1

Makes sense. Will wait for 9 channel so i can do 5.1.4

9ch power amp in an avr... ? Will just severely compromise the already compromised power stage they squeeze in avrs as it is. If you mean 9ch in pre outs or something then ignore above :)

If it's just 5.1.4 you are doing better off at the least using your rotel for mains and getting an avr with 7ch power amp on board.

If have a large room and space at the back particularly if running 4 ceilings then I would suggest that running 7.1.4 with some rear surrounds part of the mix is probably more important the top rear heights work very well with rear surrounds :)

If restricted id go as far as saying I'd go 7.1.2 over 5.1.4 any day :)

So you can assign front speakers on avr to height speakers?

Am suggesting you use the pre outs on your avr to drive your mains via the rotel and using amps provided on board to feed the ceilings. Amp assign ability will be related to particular brands and models and will need to read up the manual on specific models capabilities depending whet you want to do.

Ok then some suggestions for AVR's with assignable speaker outputs would be appreciated.

I'd say would be very hard for people to know what to suggest to you without indication of budget or how many channels plan to drive in what configuration ? Whether plan to utilise external power amps ? How ?

Are there any brand preferences ? Suggest also worth doing some research yourself. Most brands have this info on line on web pages and if want to download manuals to check over if fits your specific needs

It would be very easy die someone to suggest something in appropriate to your specific needs depending what you actually plan to achieve.

$3k will easily buy you a denon 5200

http://au.denon.com/au/product/hometheater/avreceivers/avrx5200w

which even though retails for $3800, should emily be able to pick up bang on the money without even a haggle

http://www.deniswhite.com.au/denon-avr-x5200w.html?gclid=CNW0icPI5c0CFQ0IvAodioYKtA

just use your 2ch power amp t drive your mains hooking upto it with the pre outs and hook up 4 heights using the internal amps. leaves option of 7.1.4 if ever decide to run some rears (which I'd recommend)

alternatively could save some bucks on the 4200 which will do 5.1.4 with 2ch amp, though will need to do your reading to check on assignability.

similarly theres the marantz cousins in the 6010 and 7010 AVRs.

give a better spread.

"More" is not better.   You need the "right spread" which should fall within the angles in the atmos setup guide.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-2-setups.html

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-4-setups.html

Have a look at the "side view" for the 5.1.2 ....   If all of your 4 speakers all fall within the 65 to 100 degree angle.... then is ok to drive all 4 of them from the .2 channel.

Otherwise, if you've got your speakers laid out according to the 5.1.4 diagram ..... then no.   You should drive them with 5.1.4 output.

Ok got home and done some researching. I think I will sell the Rotel 1552 and Integra 30.5 and go for a Marantz 6010 and Rotel 1555. This will enable me to power Front L/R, Centre and the extra 2 height speakers which will give me with the AVR internal amps 7.1.4 and after I sell existing gear just under $3000.

• Like 2

Ok got home and done some researching. I think I will sell the Rotel 1552 and Integra 30.5 and go for a Marantz 6010 and Rotel 1555. This will enable me to power Front L/R, Centre and the extra 2 height speakers which will give me with the AVR internal amps 7.1.4 and after I sell existing gear just under $3000.

I think thats a excellent approach :)

have top respect for the 1555, its a development of the very well regarded rotel 1075, top quality components, decent power stage good heatsinks - well designed. a very good power amp for the money. kind of thing can literally keep forever and no matter what you do down the track with the front end can be the ever staying foundation.

and wiht that the very important front stage will get the quality watts :)

whether denon or marantz being sister products they are top class really, very good processing and always at the forefront tech wise. the marantz units tend to also put a bit more effort on power supply, dac and analog stages so might actually be little bit surprised on how good it might be 2ch wise !

• Like 1

Or another option. Pioneer lxc79 and use speaker config e in manual that use current 2 channel power amp to power front speakers and all surrounds and centre to pioneer. The Pioneer looks like it would be great for2 channel hires music with those Hi end sabre dacs.

Or another option. Pioneer lxc79 and use speaker config e in manual that use current 2 channel power amp to power front speakers and all surrounds and centre to pioneer. The Pioneer looks like it would be great for2 channel hires music with those Hi end sabre dacs.

I personally wouldn't pioneer has dropped big time in the last 5 years in this regard. have just about close to exited. they've also backed right off on the tech development. and their avrs are really nothing like what they used to be like. 

ps in the other brands yamaha possibly one of the other brands to look at :)

• Like 1

• Volunteer

whether denon or marantz being sister products they are top class really, very good processing and always at the forefront tech wise. the marantz units tend to also put a bit more effort on power supply, dac and analog stages so might actually be little bit surprised on how good it might be 2ch wise !

Have agree with Al re Denon & Marantz being top notch products, Yamaha is also a good product however their YPAO audio set up is not anywhere as good as the Audyssey setup on the Denon & Marantz units.

• Like 1

I have had plenty of experience with both Denon and Yamaha, had a Yamaha RX-V2090 and a RX-A2000 also a Denon 3803. All great products, may try a different flavour with the Marantz.

There is not way to do 7.1.4 with a marantz sr6010. You'd need a 7010 or a Yamaha rxa 3050 plus a 2 channel amp to do 7.1.4. Denon has one too but can't recall the model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to find an AVR or wish someone to make one where you can power the front 2 or 3 with power amp and assign the front channels of AVR to height speakers.

you would be 100% better off in that case just using a processor and amps of choice for whatever. can get a compact amps if space and issue

e.g. this 8channel rotel which would power all your surrounds and heights   :) $999

https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Electronics/Audio-Visual/AV-Components/Amplifiers-/Rotel-RKB-1508-audio-distibution-amplifier-8-channels/Prospect/SA/AdNumber=455833

then run the amps of choice up front. while thinking the front 2 channels ... its actually the front 3 the centre particularly that is crucial in a av setup :)

rotel also makes the 1506 6 channel at $1299

http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/rmb1506.html

you would be 100% better off in that case just using a processor and amps of choice for whatever. can get a compact amps if space and issue

e.g. this 8channel rotel which would power all your surrounds and heights   :) $999

https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Electronics/Audio-Visual/AV-Components/Amplifiers-/Rotel-RKB-1508-audio-distibution-amplifier-8-channels/Prospect/SA/AdNumber=455833

then run the amps of choice up front. while thinking the front 2 channels ... its actually the front 3 the centre particularly that is crucial in a av setup :)

rotel also makes the 1506 6 channel at $1299

http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/rmb1506.html

That's got me thinking now in a very positive way. Finally I may be on the right track. :thumb:

I would like to find an AVR or wish someone to make one where you can power the front 2 or 3 with power amp and assign the front channels of AVR to height speakers.

No avr in existence can reassign the front channels to be a different channel. However a Yamaha rxa3050 can be had for $2600 and with your 2 channel amp can do 7.1.4

No avr in existence can reassign the front channels to be a different channel. However a Yamaha rxa3050 can be had for $2600 and with your 2 channel amp can do 7.1.4

Yeah starting to realise this with the amount of research I am doing. I just don't like the idea of wasting a poweramp on effect channels would rather use poweramp on front channels and let avr handle effects. 

Gonna give Yamaha a rest for a while, had a Rxa2000 and recently a 679, don't like their musiccast system at all, Integra's and Denon's is way better.

• 4 weeks later...

you can always go for an integra 60.6 9.2 channel AV receiver... they are being discounted by the distributor at the moment in anticipation for the replacement DRX-7

every single zone has pre-outs so you can use your 2 channel power amp for the fronts

its a 9.2 channel atmos amp but it also has 11 pre-outs so you can upgrade to a 7.2.4 at any time with an extra 2 channel amp for one pair of speakers

Edited by BaileyAV