Sign in to follow this  
Mat-with-one-t

Vinyl cleaning machine - maybe Consonance or Record Doctor V

Hi all. I've set up my 20yr old Pro-Ject 6.1 that I bought new in my new system, and I must say it sounds lovely. The downside is, as it's now got a ho e in a very revealing system, the sound of gunge has also been revealed! I'd love to try cleaning a bunch of my faves (al, the 'Zeps, all the Doors, Hendrix, all,Beatles, some jazz, Lou Reid, lots of the Cure - what fun!) with a proper machine. I'm thinking I'll likely get one of the 2 mentioned here. Consonance available locally but a bit pricey. Doctor about 1/2 that price.

I'm inner north Melb. Would consider buying one 2nd hand too if price right. Perhaps I can offer some replenished cleaner stuff bottles on return?

Cool!

Mat

If you can't afford  a wizz bang one..................buy a Spin Clean until you can!

The Consonance if a great unit, flawless. Mine is still going strong after a few hundred records!

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/record-cleaning-machines-okki-nokki-vs-consonance

That's funny - I just read that article before you posted. Yeah I'm tempted to just get one. I need to do about 100 for starters, and often have access to grotty used stock.....

The Consonance if a great unit, flawless. Mine is still going strong after a few hundred records!

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/record-cleaning-machines-okki-nokki-vs-consonance

That's funny - I just read that article before you posted. Yeah I'm tempted to just get one. I need to do about 100 for starters, and often have access to grotty used stock.....

And I bought the Okki Nokki over the consonance because I preferred the look of it ... and that it had forward and reverse.

Both are great machines ... I just prefer mine to not look like a bread making machine ... :P

Mmmmm. You're onto something.

"Place cleaning fluid in reservoir A, and flour, yeast and water in B......"

Here, have a read. I steered clear of the Okki nokki because of the wand problems.  Review

Guest Runaway

Hi all. I've set up my 20yr old Pro-Ject 6.1 that I bought new in my new system, and I must say it sounds lovely. The downside is, as it's now got a ho e in a very revealing system, the sound of gunge has also been revealed! I'd love to try cleaning a bunch of my faves (al, the 'Zeps, all the Doors, Hendrix, all,Beatles, some jazz, Lou Reid, lots of the Cure - what fun!) with a proper machine. I'm thinking I'll likely get one of the 2 mentioned here. Consonance available locally but a bit pricey. Doctor about 1/2 that price.

I'm inner north Melb. Would consider buying one 2nd hand too if price right. Perhaps I can offer some replenished cleaner stuff bottles on return?

Cool!

Mat

Hi Mat

I have the VPI machine, Spin Doctor and Spin Clean. Happy to loan anyone of them to you. I am in Blackburn but do get into the city at times, or you can come out to the east. I am travelling (in sunny Noumea) but will be back in Sat arvo. pM me if you want to proceed.

Mun

Edited by Runaway

Sydney HiFi have a VPI record cleaner in their ex demo sale.

Your other option is there is a new vinyl store in Johnston St Abbotsford (opposite the old Victoria Park) who will clean records for you.

http://dutchvinyl.com.au/record-cleaning-melbourne

Bugger - missed that one ($650 - sold)....

Interesting business - record cleaning!  I'd prefer to learn myself, hoever.  Their cheapest is $3.  That's maybe $300 to start with for me, and can maybe score a machine for not too much more than that....

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

Here, have a read. I steered clear of the Okki nokki because of the wand problems.  Review

Yeah I read that one.  Leaning towards the Consonance, as it sounds like a keeper, and I live only 30mins away from Greg Osborn.... 

If you can't afford  a wizz bang one..................buy a Spin Clean until you can!

Thanks mate.  Yeah - I've seen these, however most people seem to think the vacuum is really important when it come to reliable ongoing cleaning.  I am happy to stand corrected on that one though!

Your biggest decision is going to be what fluid you use once you get a machine. I mentioned what was the best in my review.

Marvellous stuff.

But feel free to buggerise around on the edges and try other stuff like I(and many others have done) and then realise you've been doing exactly that when you purchase and use your first bottle of MM.

It's that good.

Your biggest decision is going to be what fluid you use once you get a machine. I mentioned what was the best in my review.

Marvellous stuff.

But feel free to buggerise around on the edges and try other stuff like I(and many others have done) and then realise you've been doing exactly that when you purchase and use your first bottle of MM.

It's that good.

Yeah I'll be going straight to that gear methinks.  Thanks mate.

I have a Record doctor V and I've cleaned hundreds of records with it.  Let's face it, it's just a vacuum cleaner that runs for a few seconds at a time when you're sucking junk outta your records.  If  it didn't make it to the many thousand record mark, I'd be p!ssed off.  I'm now looking at an US unit because I don't have time to clean records.  You need to be aware it's a time consuming business.  If you've got a thousand records or so to clean, you need to give that serious consideration.

Bugger - missed that one ($650 - sold)....

Interesting business - record cleaning!  I'd prefer to learn myself, hoever.  Their cheapest is $3.  That's maybe $300 to start with for me, and can maybe score a machine for not too much more than that....

To my earlier point, this is a supremely time effective way to get 100 records cleaned for very little outlay.  I would give this serious consideration, but I'd want to know what they clean the records with first...

Marvellous stuff.

It's that good.

Agreed.  And if I had my time again, I would have bought Melody Maker from the start.

Guest Runaway

Sydney HiFi have a VPI record cleaner in their ex demo sale.

Your other option is there is a new vinyl store in Johnston St Abbotsford (opposite the old Victoria Park) who will clean records for you.

http://dutchvinyl.com.au/record-cleaning-melbourne

The RCM at Dutch vinyl is interesting. I think it is the same as that advertised at aussiehifi

https://www.aussiehifi.com.au/clearaudio-double-matrix-professional-double-sided-record-cleaning-machine

If so, the $3 per record is quite worthwhile. The machine includes a "sonic option" in addition to the usual wash and vac, except reading the user manual, it is not really an option but integrated in the cleaning. This is better than the $4 per record charged elsewhere using the VPI machine which cost about 1/5 of the price. It does not appear to me that this is as good as the "real" ultrasonic cleaner where the record is immersed in liquid agitated by ultrasonic vibration but must be better than the wash and vac machines.

For a smaller outlay, this does a great job: http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-knosti-disco-antistat-record-cleaner

I'd still think the vacuum feature adds a lot to the process, particularly on older or dirtier records. For maintenance cleaning though, I'm using this more than the Consonance.

The Knosti is a great budget alternative Marc - have reverted to using it in preference to the more laborious process of washing a single side and finishing up with a vacuum on my Kab EV-1.

Very happy with result! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

For a smaller outlay, this does a great job: http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-knosti-disco-antistat-record-cleaner

I'd still think the vacuum feature adds a lot to the process, particularly on older or dirtier records. For maintenance cleaning though, I'm using this more than the Consonance.

I may well go this way - the Disco to get started, and the Consonance when I can afford it!

Hey I've noticed there's a Disco "Mark 2" out. Anyone have experience with it compared to the previous?

Hey Mat, don't over think it.

Grab the Disco. It's a great el cheapo cleaner.

You'll see them pop up for 85 to 110 on eBay used.

When you've tried it then move on to a proper vacuum cleaner or keep it like Marc is doing.

I used a  homemade mix of 99% Isopropyl alcohol and springwater (distilled water too and that rarest of breeds...the stuff that drips out of a AC unit ) and a surfactant(dishwashing liquid at a pinch) for a while and the washing was done in the kitchen sink and once the record is quickly rinsed under the tap, you apply your mixture with an old spray bottle and you use a 2 inch paintbrush from Bunnings with half the bristles cut off so you have a short feisty brush to push into the gunk.

You'll soon realise if you take a regular look at your cartridge that this method works so well that most of the gunk ends up on the end of your diamond...

Time for a vacuum jobbie eh...

I have an Audio Desk RCM Ultrasonic arguably the world's best. I'd be happy to do it at $2 a record...it does a fabulous job.I live in the South Eastern suburbs.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By anthony vinyl
      Item: Micro Seiki BL 91 turntable with SME 309 tonearm
      Price: 3400
      Item Condition: very good
      Reason for selling: a very reluctant sale but want funds for another project  . 
      Payment Method: cash ,  PayPal +% , transfer
      Extra Info: a very special combo. the SME 309 should need no introduction - see online reviews. superb in styling and a breeze to use.   the micro seiki is simply a beautiful turntable both in form and function.  from vinyl engine specs site it
      "Features a massive, thick, 12.2 inch platter, employing special alloy bearings machined and polished with techniques usually reserved for turbojet engines.
      Micro Seiki engineers devised an exclusive oil-bath damping system to support the entire rotating assembly in complete isolation from all mechanical resonances.
      A precision-ground drive belt connects the rotating assembly to the brushless, servo-controlled motor with total isolation from motor generated vibration.
      In fact, the BL-91 (L) is probably the smoothest, most vibration-free device of its kind ever built. the plinth is multi-laminar natural wood finished with hand rubbed natural ebony... 16 kg"
      all original handbooks for SME and micro seiki. . please note the benz cart is NOT included in sale price .  please also see blemish on tonearm where it sits in holder ( common )and blemish on plinth. also the wire connectors on the tonearm head shell to cartridge have shabby insulation that is unnoticeable from above and does not affect performance. would prefer a pickup but will consider postage. preference for pickup.  will consider seperating - although the unit is functionally and aesthetically outstanding as it is. . 

• By MGO
      Item: Technics Direct Drive Turntable SL Q2 Quartz
      Price:  Reduced to $195  $250  Prefer pick up
      Item Condition:  Very good for age
      Reason for selling:  Leaving vinyl
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD 

Excellent TT!  Sounds good doesn't miss a beat.
      Auto arm lift and return.  Very convenient, doesn't go round and round wearing the style.
      Hinges of perspex cover gone.
      Comes with Shure SC35C cartridge, cork mat and damping.
      Could pack and send but prefer pick up in Sydney 2036.

• By candyflip
      * Item full name and model etc. ...see below for individual details
      * Location ... Melbourne
      * Item condition description ... varies as detailed in text below (Standard SNA/Goldmine gradings)
      * Price and price conditions ...as specified below 
      * Reason for selling ... latest finds
      * Payment/delivery Methods:  NO PICKUPS SORRY - mail only.
      Bank transfers, or PayPal (Friends & Family only, no notes) are both welcome.

STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW:
              Once all sold (or near to), a donation to SNA of 5% of items total will follow.
              Any titles here get brand new inner and/or outer quality Blake sleeves as needed before shipping.
              I try and ship 3-4 days a week.

THE SMALL PRINT:
             I fully guarantee everything I offer  - if you don't like any item for whatever reason, return it at my expense for a full refund, no questions asked (verified 30 day+ active Forum members only thanks)..
             Original contents are stored inside the cover.
      I try to ship all records themselves outside the cover, so any postal damage is minimised.
             I use mostly s/hand pre-made cardboard mailers for all orders, and these virtually guarantee safe arrival of your record (they are also MUCH faster to pack).
             Combined postage to anywhere in Australia at cost (or close enough) and is EXTRA (ie. not included in prices). 
            ABSOLUTELY NO LOCAL PICKUPS - don't ask - it's not going to happen.
      Complain to me loudly if anything goes wrong (although it barely ever does) - and it'll be fixed, in your favour. 

Please post in this thread  to reserve your item(s).

Combine with anything in this list to save postage:

Brazil Classics 2 : O’Samba - w/David Byrne vinyl LP. NEW & SEALED. Compiled by David Byrne (ex-Talking Heads). Includes Digital Download. "The music is wonderful, also a historical archive as partial basis for contemporary Brazilian music. Danceable, singable, easy to listen to over and over again."   $35

Jason Isbell & 400 Unit – Here We Rest – 2011 Lighting Rod gatefold &  7" single (…15506) - SEALED and BRAND NEW. Vinyl album w/ 7" single in gatefold cover.  - $40

Jason Isbell – Sirens of the Ditch - US 2018 Special Deluxe Edition 2LP - SEALED and BRAND NEW.  180 gram 2-disc with download card which includes 4 extra unreleased songs not available on the original release. Deluxe Edition hype sticker and New West Records 20 Year hype sticker.  $42

The Incredible Jimmy Smith – Midnight Special – Blue Note 2015 (602547476463)  BRAND NEW &  SEALED. Blue Note Records 75th Anniversary Vinyl Initiative release of fantastic hard to get Blue Note original recordings.   $38

James – Living In Extraordinary Times – EU pressed 2018 2LP vinyl (…393620)  BRAND NEW and SEALED. 180 Gram Vinyl, includes Download Code.  $40

Various – American Epic :The Best Of Blues – Third Man Records 2017 vinyl - BRAND NEW and SEALED. Remastered using a mix of analog and digital technology. A nifty companion to the amazing US PBS documentary series. Single pocket tip-on jacket with soft touch finish, with black poly-lined inner sleeve. Paramount record masters courtesy of Lars Edegran and the George H. Buck, Jr. Jazz Foundation. Jack White as Producer.   $38

Traffic – When The Eagle Flies – 2013 Ltd Friday Music gatefold - BRAND NEW SEALED. Remastered from original Island Records tapes. Mastering by Joe Reagoso w/ Kevin Gray.   $40

Miles Davis + 19 / Gil Evans – Miles Ahead – US 2013 Columbia KG mastered MONO repress. BRAND NEW and SEALED in baggie. 180-gram audiophile mono vinyl LP. Reissue of the original mono version cat.#: CL 1041. Sticker notes the release is 'individually numbered', however there is no number printed on this cover!  Regardless, another Kevin Gray masterpiece.   $38

SOLD
      Miles Davis- Pangaea – US 2012 Double 180gm LP by Four Men With Beards. BRAND new and SEALED.
      Stop - don't run! 
      This 4 Men With Beards pressing is actually great!   
      Recorded live at Osaka Festival Hall, Japan, Evening, February 1, 1975. Original vinyl released June 1976. 
      180 gram double vinyl, gatefold sleeve.  $42

Ry Cooder – The Prodigal Son – black vinyl EU Concord 2018 repress - SEALED & BRAND NEW - Ry back on top form in this highly acclaimed new album. Great reviews!   $35

Fleetwood Mac – Pious Bird of Good Omen – 2012 MOV EU press - BRAND NEW & SEALED. Nice solid bottom, clear mids and very pleasant top end too. Great collection of Peter Green era tunes.  $40

The Stooges – Stooges – 2010 import Rhino Vinyl 180 Gram Repress LP. SEALED and BRAND NEW. Cut from the original analog Masters, incredible SQ. Highly acclaimed.... "this press is definitely the one to get. Dead quiet, great dynamic range and separation, just all around beautiful sound. I don't have an original to compare to, but this version definitely does have the best sound to me...."THIS is the copy to have… $38

Santana – Inner Secrets – US 2014 Friday Music repress - NEW & SEALED in baggie. Lovely copy, Mastered by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music Studios, and pressed at R.T.I. plant.   $42

Lana Del Rey – Ultraviolence – 2014 US 2LP pressing - SEALED and BRAND NEW. With colour insert.  LP mastered by Wes Garland at Nashville Record Productions and pressed by United Record Pressing.   $42

Price: $3300 Price Drop $2850 inc shipping Australia Wide, can do a little less if you can collect in person to save packing and freight.
      Item Condition: Excellent, Used
      Reason for selling: New Project/Custom Build
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

This is a complete custom build from the ground up based on a Rega P series design. Raw cost of materials and items was over $6000.

Plynth milled from single block of billet alloy on CNC router (around 15kg) Finished in red automotive paint Followed same dimmensions as a Rega P3 plynth. 5x Maglev feet (tried with 3, 4 and 5 configurations and 5 was the best) IsoKinetic IsoDrive Power Supply with 33/45 speed selection IsoKinetic 25mm Acrylic Platter IsoKinetic IsoSub Groovetracer Machined Subplatter IsoKinetic Phosphor Bronze Bearing Sleeve IsoKinetic Ruby Bearing + Spindle Oil (lifetime supply left in bottle) IsoKinetic Puck/Stabiliser IsoKinetic Red Thing Silicone Belt + Spare New One in Packet IsoKinetic MTB-D Motor Thrust Bearing + Motor Isolation Mod for Premotec Motor Premotec 50hz Synchronous Motor Audiomods Series 4 Tonearm with Series 5 bearing, lift and arm hold. Full VTA Adjustment - no VTA adjuster.  All original weights and headshell weights/spacers included to adjust to any cart. Custom Acrylic Dust Cover to accomodate arm height No cart included, but I did have an Ortofon MC25e on it and it was stunning.  
      *I have covered the hole bottom left corner where a power button would have gone if I didnt use the external motor PSU and controller with a samurai silver coin from WA mint. So the turntable is dubbed "The Samurai"

For interstate buyers, it will be professionally crated and foam lined for shipping with tonearm back in original transport box. Shipping Australia wide with insurance included.

For those that want to know where to from here - my next build will be in the similar vein...but using the MK6 Audiomods tonearm for primary, 200mm monster delrin platter,  ceramic bearing sleeve, larger billet plynth with 2 armboards for future arm addition and external motor and controller.
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By thejt
      Item: Linn LP12
      Price: 1600 ono
      Item Condition: good
      Reason for selling: small child is now almost ready to destroy everything I own. Best it go somewhere safe.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Early Linn LP12 for sale equipped with Rega RB300 tonearm and Linn Asak moving coil cartridge. I am told that I am the third owner of this beauty with the original owner having it for many decades. The second owner got a newer Linn rather than upgrade. The fluted plinth is in pretty good condition with a few small nicks as seen in the photos. Lid is crack free with only minor swirling. Hinges replaced by myself so are almost new. No idea about the hours on the cartridge but it plays without a hitch and stylus looks very straight. I've put on less than 50 hours personally having only got it right before our child was born. It has been well looked after by all owners and I even have the original documents. Bonus shim for the tonearm in case you need to raise the height to accommodate a different cartridge. Happy for inspections for anyone in Perth.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.