Vinyl cleaning machine - maybe Consonance or Record Doctor V

Hi all. I've set up my 20yr old Pro-Ject 6.1 that I bought new in my new system, and I must say it sounds lovely. The downside is, as it's now got a ho e in a very revealing system, the sound of gunge has also been revealed! I'd love to try cleaning a bunch of my faves (al, the 'Zeps, all the Doors, Hendrix, all,Beatles, some jazz, Lou Reid, lots of the Cure - what fun!) with a proper machine. I'm thinking I'll likely get one of the 2 mentioned here. Consonance available locally but a bit pricey. Doctor about 1/2 that price.

I'm inner north Melb. Would consider buying one 2nd hand too if price right. Perhaps I can offer some replenished cleaner stuff bottles on return?

Cool!

Mat

The Consonance if a great unit, flawless. Mine is still going strong after a few hundred records!

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/record-cleaning-machines-okki-nokki-vs-consonance

That's funny - I just read that article before you posted. Yeah I'm tempted to just get one. I need to do about 100 for starters, and often have access to grotty used stock.....

The Consonance if a great unit, flawless. Mine is still going strong after a few hundred records!

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/record-cleaning-machines-okki-nokki-vs-consonance

That's funny - I just read that article before you posted. Yeah I'm tempted to just get one. I need to do about 100 for starters, and often have access to grotty used stock.....

And I bought the Okki Nokki over the consonance because I preferred the look of it ... and that it had forward and reverse.

Both are great machines ... I just prefer mine to not look like a bread making machine ... :P

Guest Runaway

Hi all. I've set up my 20yr old Pro-Ject 6.1 that I bought new in my new system, and I must say it sounds lovely. The downside is, as it's now got a ho e in a very revealing system, the sound of gunge has also been revealed! I'd love to try cleaning a bunch of my faves (al, the 'Zeps, all the Doors, Hendrix, all,Beatles, some jazz, Lou Reid, lots of the Cure - what fun!) with a proper machine. I'm thinking I'll likely get one of the 2 mentioned here. Consonance available locally but a bit pricey. Doctor about 1/2 that price.

I'm inner north Melb. Would consider buying one 2nd hand too if price right. Perhaps I can offer some replenished cleaner stuff bottles on return?

Cool!

Mat

Hi Mat

I have the VPI machine, Spin Doctor and Spin Clean. Happy to loan anyone of them to you. I am in Blackburn but do get into the city at times, or you can come out to the east. I am travelling (in sunny Noumea) but will be back in Sat arvo. pM me if you want to proceed.

Mun

Edited by Runaway

Sydney HiFi have a VPI record cleaner in their ex demo sale.

Your other option is there is a new vinyl store in Johnston St Abbotsford (opposite the old Victoria Park) who will clean records for you.

http://dutchvinyl.com.au/record-cleaning-melbourne

Bugger - missed that one ($650 - sold)....

Interesting business - record cleaning!  I'd prefer to learn myself, hoever.  Their cheapest is $3.  That's maybe $300 to start with for me, and can maybe score a machine for not too much more than that....

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

If you can't afford  a wizz bang one..................buy a Spin Clean until you can!

Thanks mate.  Yeah - I've seen these, however most people seem to think the vacuum is really important when it come to reliable ongoing cleaning.  I am happy to stand corrected on that one though!

Your biggest decision is going to be what fluid you use once you get a machine. I mentioned what was the best in my review.

Marvellous stuff.

But feel free to buggerise around on the edges and try other stuff like I(and many others have done) and then realise you've been doing exactly that when you purchase and use your first bottle of MM.

It's that good.

• Like 2

Your biggest decision is going to be what fluid you use once you get a machine. I mentioned what was the best in my review.

Marvellous stuff.

But feel free to buggerise around on the edges and try other stuff like I(and many others have done) and then realise you've been doing exactly that when you purchase and use your first bottle of MM.

It's that good.

Yeah I'll be going straight to that gear methinks.  Thanks mate.

I have a Record doctor V and I've cleaned hundreds of records with it.  Let's face it, it's just a vacuum cleaner that runs for a few seconds at a time when you're sucking junk outta your records.  If  it didn't make it to the many thousand record mark, I'd be p!ssed off.  I'm now looking at an US unit because I don't have time to clean records.  You need to be aware it's a time consuming business.  If you've got a thousand records or so to clean, you need to give that serious consideration.

Bugger - missed that one ($650 - sold)....

Interesting business - record cleaning!  I'd prefer to learn myself, hoever.  Their cheapest is $3.  That's maybe $300 to start with for me, and can maybe score a machine for not too much more than that....

To my earlier point, this is a supremely time effective way to get 100 records cleaned for very little outlay.  I would give this serious consideration, but I'd want to know what they clean the records with first...

Marvellous stuff.

It's that good.

Agreed.  And if I had my time again, I would have bought Melody Maker from the start.

• Like 1

Guest Runaway

Sydney HiFi have a VPI record cleaner in their ex demo sale.

Your other option is there is a new vinyl store in Johnston St Abbotsford (opposite the old Victoria Park) who will clean records for you.

http://dutchvinyl.com.au/record-cleaning-melbourne

The RCM at Dutch vinyl is interesting. I think it is the same as that advertised at aussiehifi

https://www.aussiehifi.com.au/clearaudio-double-matrix-professional-double-sided-record-cleaning-machine

If so, the $3 per record is quite worthwhile. The machine includes a "sonic option" in addition to the usual wash and vac, except reading the user manual, it is not really an option but integrated in the cleaning. This is better than the $4 per record charged elsewhere using the VPI machine which cost about 1/5 of the price. It does not appear to me that this is as good as the "real" ultrasonic cleaner where the record is immersed in liquid agitated by ultrasonic vibration but must be better than the wash and vac machines.

• Administrator

For a smaller outlay, this does a great job: http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-knosti-disco-antistat-record-cleaner

I'd still think the vacuum feature adds a lot to the process, particularly on older or dirtier records. For maintenance cleaning though, I'm using this more than the Consonance.

• Like 1

The Knosti is a great budget alternative Marc - have reverted to using it in preference to the more laborious process of washing a single side and finishing up with a vacuum on my Kab EV-1.

Very happy with result! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For a smaller outlay, this does a great job: http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-knosti-disco-antistat-record-cleaner

I'd still think the vacuum feature adds a lot to the process, particularly on older or dirtier records. For maintenance cleaning though, I'm using this more than the Consonance.

I may well go this way - the Disco to get started, and the Consonance when I can afford it!
  • Like 1

Hey Mat, don't over think it.

Grab the Disco. It's a great el cheapo cleaner.

You'll see them pop up for 85 to 110 on eBay used.

When you've tried it then move on to a proper vacuum cleaner or keep it like Marc is doing.

I used a  homemade mix of 99% Isopropyl alcohol and springwater (distilled water too and that rarest of breeds...the stuff that drips out of a AC unit ) and a surfactant(dishwashing liquid at a pinch) for a while and the washing was done in the kitchen sink and once the record is quickly rinsed under the tap, you apply your mixture with an old spray bottle and you use a 2 inch paintbrush from Bunnings with half the bristles cut off so you have a short feisty brush to push into the gunk.

You'll soon realise if you take a regular look at your cartridge that this method works so well that most of the gunk ends up on the end of your diamond...

Time for a vacuum jobbie eh...