International HiFi Show, Melbourne - Impressions

Guest Misterioso

Apart from the Avantgarde Zero 1, were there any active speakers at the show? Warwick was supposed to show Geithain RL906 but I must have missed them. Any others?

I tried to keep it quiet but I was indeed chasing down the mythical third album in Mrs Mills Jumbo Party Trilogy. I have the first two.

p1020157.jpg

Hey Look Me Over is a blast! And don't ever let it be said that she doesn't have attitude coz she has got it in spades!

christophe-gowans-mrs-mills.jpg

PM me if your prepared to part with the 'Third' ...

She has damn hairy arms ;)

• Like 1

I can understand the attraction. I couldn't before, but this is exactly why I borrowed 40.2 to live with for a while. They have an engagement, and a warmth that I've not come across with almost all other speakers. If you're into music, then these are the speaker for you. If you're an "audiophile", you'll criticise their accuracy. From a reviewers perspective, you couldn't have them as a reference. From an owners perspective, they'd provide many years of beautiful music across all genres.

They fit a certain application, that perhaps the majority of StereoNET readers likely wouldn't appreciate. Just my opinion.

I really liked the Harbeths, they seemed to have a bit of boogie that other flasher speakers didn't

Having read most of the posts up to this point, I have to say that I thought most of the rooms had different versions of good sound.  There were a couple with bad sound but I always give show demos the benefit of the doubt.  Not easy getting good sound at a show.  Try getting good sound at a GTG at your home, with a roomful of people.  

The point of audio shows is to get a grasp on what the nature of the sound is on equipment.  There was some very expensive equipment which some show goers thought were not good for the money.  A lot of expensive displays at shows are on a hiding to nothing.  If they sound good, they are expected to sound good.  If they sound mediocre, the knives are out.  

I attended on Friday and Sunday.  Some exhibits were being dismantled towards the end on Sunday, which was disappointing when I went to retrace my steps through the exhibits.  Maybe next time I'll go on Saturday instead of Sunday.  

• Like 1

• Administrator

Having read most of the posts up to this point, I have to say that I thought most of the rooms had different versions of good sound. There were a couple with bad sound but I always give show demos the benefit of the doubt. Not easy getting good sound at a show. Try getting good sound at a GTG at your home, with a roomful of people.

The point of audio shows is to get a grasp on what the nature of the sound is on equipment. There was some very expensive equipment which some show goers thought were not good for the money. A lot of expensive displays at shows are on a hiding to nothing. If they sound good, they are expected to sound good. If they sound mediocre, the knives are out.

I attended on Friday and Sunday. Some exhibits were being dismantled towards the end on Sunday, which was disappointing when I went to retrace my steps through the exhibits. Maybe next time I'll go on Saturday instead of Sunday.

What time did you arrive Sunday? The show was advertised as closing at 3pm and I didn't notice anyone winding down before then as it was still quite busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What time did you arrive Sunday? The show was advertised as closing at 3pm and I didn't notice anyone winding down before then as it was still quite busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I arrived at 11.30am.  I wanted to retrace my steps are around 2.40pm and found a couple exhibits had been dismantled.  

I took a flight from Brissie early last week for the show.Did a dummy run on the trams and then a short walk to the hotel on Thursday afternoon just so I knew where to go on Friday arvo.Had a bit of a sneak peak around as they were setting up.Sadly didn't realize I met Marc and failed to introduce myself.

I went to the show with the intention of checking out prealifiers with remote input and volume control as I am now of 'that age'.Surprisingly little to see..but I did catch a glimpse of that rarest or rare breeds.....the almost mythical and mystical ME58 in the Wyndham room.Unfortunately not hooked up when I was there but the guys did offer to set it up for me on Saturday when I came back.As fate would have it I had managed to pick up a virus,probably on the plane down earlier in the week,(cattle class of course) and by Saturday was too sick to go back on the Sat or the Sunday.If anyone heard it ...I would love to hear their impressions,especially if you already have any of the earlier ME pre's

I did notice in one of the pics posted here that the ME58 had mysteriously disappeared in the later pics posted....did some lucky bastard buy it on the spot .

Like a lot have said here I didn't have any expectations of hearing great sounds in any of the rooms....for me it was all about seeing what was out there...in the flesh...it is a 'show' after all.

I enjoyed my short 3 hrs there and thought it a much better venue than all the previous locations.Organisation seemed very well done from my limited observations.I congratulate Marc ....from personal experience I know a huge amount of work goes into setting up and running public events.

If I could comment on anything it would be that most of the rooms were always so dark that checking out the gear was quite difficult,nice for listening however ,but as I said it is supposed to be an opportunity to see/show the gear too. I did appreciate the rooms that took the trouble to label and price their gear...this made it less necessary to disturb listening sessions by talking to the reps .....probably not exactly what the reps want but you know how grumpy some of us on here get when our listening is disturbed.

I found all the reps I did talk to very helpful friendly and extremely generous in their offers to afford me some access and time to hear their equipment after the show...Warwick was especially helpful but my state of health was not conducive to further listening.

All in all I really enjoyed the show and the venue?

Edited by atavid
  • Like 4

I took a flight from Brissie early last week for the show.Did a dummy run on the trams and then a short walk to the hotel on Thursday afternoon just so I knew where to go on Friday arvo.Had a bit of a sneak peak around as they were setting up.Sadly didn't realize I met Marc and failed to introduce myself.

I went to the show with the intention of checking out prealifiers with remote input and volume control as I am now of 'that age'.Surprisingly little to see..but I did catch a glimpse of that rarest or rare breeds.....the almost mythical and mystical ME58 in the Wyndham room.Unfortunately not hooked up when I was there but the guys did offer to set it up for me on Saturday when I came back.As fate would have it I had managed to pick up a virus,probably on the plane down earlier in the week,(cattle class of course) and by Saturday was too sick to go back on the Sat or the Sunday.If anyone heard it ...I would love to hear their impressions,especially if you already have any of the earlier ME pre's

I did notice in one of the pics posted here that the ME58 had mysteriously disappeared in the later pics posted....did some lucky bastard buy it on the spot .

Like a lot have said here I didn't have any expectations of hearing great sounds in any of the rooms....for me it was all about seeing what was out there...in the flesh...it is a 'show' after all.

I enjoyed my short 3 hrs there and thought it a much better venue than all the previous locations.Organisation seemed very well done from my limited observations.I congratulate Marc ....from personal experience I know a huge amount of work goes into setting up and running public events.

If I could comment on anything it would be that most of the rooms were always so dark that checking out the gear was quite difficult,nice for listening however ,but as I said it is supposed to be an opportunity to see/show the gear too. I did appreciate the rooms that took the trouble to label and price their gear...this made it less necessary to disturb listening sessions by talking to the reps .....probably not exactly what the reps want but you know how grumpy some of us on here get when our listening is disturbed.

I found all the reps I did talk to very helpful friendly and extremely generous in their offers to afford me some access and time to hear their equipment after the show...Warwick was especially helpful but my state of health was not conducive to further listening.

All in all I really enjoyed the show and the venue?

Hi atavid, the ME58 was missing from the pics because it was doing duty across the hall in the Pure Audio Project room. We set up a Soulines Dostoyevsky turntable for the lads in the PAP room and it was a completely different set up using the ME58. Ron Berger was there at the show on all three days, so hope you managed to catch up with Ron while you were down.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

I was not able to attend the show but may I ask those who did, their favourite/best sounding speaker/s that were affordable I.E around $4-6K?

in the "reasonably priced car" er, speaker category (apologies to Jeremy Clarkson era Top Gear) Whatmough Signature 15i at $5k sounded excellent.

http://www.whatmoughaudio.com.au/product/whatmough-signature-15i-2-way-stand-mount-speakers/

Thanks everyone for your collective impressions & the pics.

I was unable to attend however from the thread it seems there were two elephants in the room this show:

No Yamaha NS-5000 speakers

No Technics SL-1200GLD

Or did I miss someone's comments?

Thanks everyone for your collective impressions & the pics.

I was unable to attend however from the thread it seems there were two elephants in the room this show:

No Yamaha NS-5000 speakers

No Technics SL-1200GLD

Or did I miss someone's comments?

No, neither of those were on show. As regards the Technics tt it looks unlikely it will be available here anyway as Panansonic have no plans to sell any Technics gear in Australia so it will be a case of going overseas to hear and buy one.

Are the NS-5000s available commercially anywhere yet? 

Edited by Hergest

For me the best system, if I was in the market starting over again, was the Avantgarde Zero 1.  $26,000 for the complete system..I'd buy that with real money.  That is the perfect remedy for someone who just wants to listen to music and not screw around with components.  

• Like 1

Now that the Thread has quietened off a little, decided to post the other photo of the person that made the HiFi Show, what it was.

Hope the problem with the arm/shoulder gets sorted ok

post-149865-0-85301300-1468812354_thumb.