Sign in to follow this  
Kensell21

International HiFi Show, Melbourne - Impressions

Couldn't have said it better Matt...well done...

Very welcome, "be part of the solution" make the event even more attractive for Exhibitors, so maybe more will come :party  

What is the overall impressions of the various attendees of the Isotek demonstrations? I attended the Vision Living demo here in Adelaide. They used a full McIntosh set-up with B&W 803D3 speakers. Starting with the usual plug everything in to the standard electrical switch and went through the various power cable and power conditioning, power regeneration upgrades and to my ears the sound improved at each step - the reason for the demo. Not a basic set-up by any means. I couldn't see that there was any "sleight-of-hand" going on.

Interested in the observations/opinions of others with perhaps a bit more time and better ability to discern the results?? Any negative reactions?

Excellent!

It's a smart demo with incremental upgrades until he goes back to the "ikea" board which makes the improvements very obvious.

I did an A/B with my old Bunnings power board and the Isotek Polaris that I bought from the show. Every time the amp is plugged into the Polaris, the difference is notable, in increased depth in bass and greater coherence in placement of instruments and etc.

Replicates exactly the same result as the demo by Bjorn of Isotek.

Very happy with the demo and the product.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Very welcome, "be part of the solution" make the event even more attractive for Exhibitors, so maybe more will come :party

Certainly. Cooperative effort. In the end, the manufacturer/importer must be willing to seek and undertake compliance before selling in this country.

Went on Saturday. My impressions in order of importance:

1. The Telos room blew everything out of the water. It's the first time I've heard tape and hearing Led Zep was a real treat! I've never heard drums sound like that. At $600 a track on a half a million dollar system it's also somewhat depressing but a great reminder of what true 'reference' is. For me at least.

2. Waaaay to much elevator muzak that sounds dynamic and sparkly on any system: easy going adult contemporary, lite jazz and covers! What is it with hifi and covers?! I heard Led Zep, Adelle, and the Doors all done in an asinine, soul-less, slowed down manner. Are the originals too abrasive? Not polished enough? Maybe dealers/manufacturers don't trust their audience and/or a large portion of the hifi community simply don't like music. My litmus test is Stockfisch recordings like this. You play that crap and I'm out of the room. Rant over.

3. Harbeths by audiomagic sounded great for the money - seriously interested in getting a pair. Pure music group room sounded great too.

4. Vinyl systems sounded better than  digital ;)  I say that having only a digital front end myself.

Vinyl may sound better when everything aligns. I really cannot remember what room it was but I walked in half way through a track and all sounded good. They put on a different record and  cracking and popping was all I could hear. Maybe the record was dirty? Maybe it was damaged in some other way? But no one batted an eyelid and they kept nodding away seemingly in rapture. Have people become so desensitised to this sort of stuff in pursuit of greater dynamic range?

Not looking for an argument or anything just my own personal observation. YMMV

Marc, 

Thanks for all the effort, a world class audio show in Melbourne and hope to see one in Sydney. I would also like to thank your show support staff and the hotel staff for making the show so easy to attend, setup and pull down.

Not having much time to visit other venders rooms (due to the massive crowd) i think the best sounding room has been over looked, the Heed room had some awesome sound for what was one of the best budget systems on display with the Enigma speakers sounding great in the hotel room space.  http://heedaudio.com/loudspeakers/

I look forward to seeing all the great SNA members and attendees at the next show.

Alan

DEQX 

Vinyl may sound better when everything aligns. I really cannot remember what room it was but I walked in half way through a track and all sounded good. They put on a different record and  cracking and popping was all I could hear. Maybe the record was dirty? Maybe it was damaged in some other way? But no one batted an eyelid and they kept nodding away seemingly in rapture. Have people become so desensitised to this sort of stuff in pursuit of greater dynamic range?

Not looking for an argument or anything just my own personal observation. YMMV

Fair point Saxon. But even with crackle and pop vinyl can be magical. From what little I know it's the era the great stuff was recorded and mastered in, and not so much the format itself. I heard average vinyl at the show as well but no digital front ends really got my ear.  And we were hearing plenty of $10K + DACs. Just my opinion as well! 

ps we talking about the musical they played at the radho demo ? was a movie I think, name just slips my mind. great ... was it a joe cocker track in it ? awesome ! :)

was it this one here ?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Across-the-Universe-Blu-ray/643/

643_large.jpg

thats the one. Was a great track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc, 

Thanks for all the effort, a world class audio show in Melbourne and hope to see one in Sydney. I would also like to thank your show support staff and the hotel staff for making the show so easy to attend, setup and pull down.

Not having much time to visit other venders rooms (due to the massive crowd) i think the best sounding room has been over looked, the Heed room had some awesome sound for what was one of the best budget systems on display with the Enigma speakers sounding great in the hotel room space.  http://heedaudio.com/loudspeakers/

I look forward to seeing all the great SNA members and attendees at the next show.

Alan

DEQX 

I made a comment early on about the little Heed speakers. I thought they punched well above their weight.

Each to their own of course because someone else mentioned they thought it was the worst room.

I guess our ears are all a different shape ;)

I made a comment early on about the little Heed speakers. I thought they punched well above their weight.

Each to their own of course because someone else mentioned they thought it was the worst room.

i liked the fact they asked what style/artists I wanted to hear without prompting. Sound was excellent, very natural and less "HiFi"

Marc, 

Alan

DEQX 

i liked the fact they asked what style/artists I wanted to hear without prompting. Sound was excellent, very natural and less "HiFi"

I mentioned here as well, where they asked for feedback. :)

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/106919-would-love-to-hear-your-feedback-on-our-room-m3-hifi-show/#entry1658759

one thing I forgot to mention in that thread was how welcoming they were :)

The Pulman Mercure sounds like a keeper Marc

If you get there early you can parking is a breeze.

I was released in 1957. Mighty fine year

so were you made in 1956? :)

cheers

mick

I would like to add to the congratulations to Marc for organisation and vision to put the show on. I managed to take good advantage of the earlier entry time for VIP passes and it was very valuable. Well done!

Also I want to thank vendors who went out of their way to set up a demonstration of Classe and Antipodes equipment so that I could confirm compatibility and performance (not audio accuracy).

Thanks B&W/Classe, Pure Music Group and Mark for indulging me.

In my opinion the show was a perfect opportunity to tap into some of the best minds in the country (or hemisphere) working on quality audio reproduction. I had some of my ideas confirmed by people I respect who could add personal experience I could not hope to get and I also had a few ideas that turned out to be mere thought balloons that popped in the face of reality.

Well worth the cost of time and travel.

Guest Muon

Yeah ;)

Was also the year of the first Eurovision song contest, gawd damn it!

Edit: I do love "The Girl Can't Help it" one of my favorite movies.

Edited by Muon

Suggestions for future hi-fi shows

Exhibitors:

1. Play a variety of music eg. alternate between rock, jazz, classical tracks. That way, you get to satisfy most people while also demonstrating whether your equipment can handle a wide range of music.

2. Please provide seats so one can audition the hi-fi. Show visitors generally value 'listening to' more than 'merely looking' at the hi-fi.

3. It would be nice if more exhibitors facilitated requests to play "bring along" music.

Attendees:

1. Refrain from complaining about other people's choice of music. Your sublime music may be noise pollution to another person; no one is in the wrong here, except those who are disrespectful.

2. Show some courtesy for the audience and exhibitor: don't talk or use your phone while the music is playing; if you need to leave, wait until the track is finished.