Sign in to follow this  
TomW

Sydney Audio Club Meeting - Sunday 10th Jul 2016 - DEQX

The July 2016 meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us meet once again for an afternoon of fine music, great sound and amicable company.   Each month the Sydney Audio Club presents an excellent high end audio system for our members and guests.  Feel free to bring along your own music to test the capabilities of the system or to just share with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

For July, we are very pleased to have a return of DEQX (http://deqx.com/).  Alan Langford of DEQX will present the DEQX speaker correction and room correction system.  DEQX last presented to the club at least 5-6 years ago – much has changed and improved in its product line since then.   So another presentation is long overdue.

Details of the system….

DEQX HDP-5 preamp processor.  The HDP-5 (http://deqx.com/product-hdp5-overview.php) is the flagship of the DEQX line.  It performs powerful speaker and room correction/calibration.  It can do everything you’ll likely ever want to do.  It can accept your XLR and RCA analogue inputs.  It can accept your USB, SPDIF coax and BNC, AES/EBU, Toslink digital inputs.  It handles source switching and volume control.  It has its own DACs and can provide analogue output on RCA and XLR.  It provides digital outputs for thru, bass, mid/full and highs allowing you to handle  active cross-overs inside the DEQX.  It’s the ideal tool if you have your own speakers and you’re looking for the ideal active cross-over.   (If you don’t need the active cross-over ability you can opt for the DEQX Premate+ instead – it is the same as the HDP-5 minus the active cross-over.)   The DEQX units also sport audiophile grade components.   And they include their own microphone for taking your room measurements.   Just being released now is a Roon-Ready UTP interface.  There is a lot in the box for the money.

Refer to: 

http://www.deqx.com/reviews.php

http://www.audiostream.com/content/deqx-hdp-5-preamp-processor#PLe2VAcWPDUKWuQU.97

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/deqx/1.html by Edgar Kramer

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/10/from-a-land-down-under-to-rmaf-2015-deqx-calibration/ by John Darko

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/deqx-next-level-dsp-speaker-correction.413840/

DEQX Integrated Amplifier.   Fast, clear and clean.  This is a prototype and not yet for sale.  But hopefully its tantalizingly close – maybe you can spur Alan on to getting it to market.   

Refer to:  Sorry, no links as yet.

Epos ES11 speakers These speakers hail from the 1990’s.  These older speakers open up a good opportunity to use DEQX speaker correction.   Alan will demonstrate the benefits of speaker and room correction.

Refer to: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/epos-acoustics/es11/prd_119526_1594crx.aspx

Windows PC running Roon.  For Alan’s presentation, his source will be a Windows PC running Roon into the DEQX Roon-Ready UTP interface.

Rythmik Audio FS12SE Subwoofers.   â€œArticulate bass for the discerning audiophileâ€.   We’ll have two of these subwoofers such that Alan can demonstrate the bass cross-over functionality.

Refer to: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html

Oppo BDP-105D Universal player.   We will use the coax digital output of the Oppo (into the DEQX) primarily for our BYO session.

Refer to:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Overview.aspx and

http://www.whathifi.com/oppo/bdp-105d/review

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.   Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on CD/SACD or flash/USB drive.  (Sorry, no vinyl this month.)  All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others.  Feel free to come and hear the capabilities of the system, or to just share the experience with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. 

Guests are always welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
Address:  26 Stanley Road, Epping

When:  Sunday 10th July 2016

Doors open 1pm
Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters

President

Sydney Audio Club

www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au

tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

Edited by TomW

The meeting with Alan Langford from DEQX was very interesting indeed.  Alan spent the better part of 1.5 hours measuring the speakers, the subs and the room.  The Epos 11 speakers run a little hot in the treble so Alan adjusted that downwards a bit.  The bass of the Epos was rolled off quickly around 150HZ to allow the subs to kick in.  Alan was impressed that the subs measured so well – they were fairly flat from 20Hz to up around 200Hz.  They are excellent value at $999 USD (~$2000 AUD) each.  

While the overall sound didn’t meet the expectations of everyone (that’s probably impossible!) it was satisfying to most people I spoke to.   When Alan measured the room, it was with the microphone back around the third row of seats.  If you guessed that that is where it sounded best, well, you’d be right.  With some tracks it was a bit boomy at the very back of the room, but of course that is also dictated by the bass content of the music being played.   You’ll always get some recordings that have excessive bass and you will hear aberrations.  With more time, you can take microphone readings from various points around the room, and then average that out to adjust the settings in the DEQX.  As Alan said, you have 3 filters to set in the DEQX unit, so you can have a particular filter setting to reduce the bass energy to compensate for bass heavy recordings.   Conversely, you can have a setting to reduce high frequencies in “hot†recordings.

DSP is pretty much synonymous with digital – most DACs use DSP to shape the digital signal into the analogue.   The DEQX unit simply takes this further and allows you to correct time and phase aberrations caused by your speakers and your room.

Lastly, I had a person come up to me during the break and say that he thought it was the best sound he’d heard in our room.  And that was from a fellow that is usually hard to please!   So all in all, I think the overall presentation was very well received.

Here are some comments lifted from the feedback forms…

·      Interesting, informative and educational. Great!  Very effective. I am convinced that it works well.  A reasonable mix of of music.

·      Great meeting. Very informative.  DEQX was very impressive. Good variety of music.

·      Very pleasant. Good variety of music.  Very good sounding speakers.

·      Setup with room correction program didn't maintain the soundstage. Bass was boomy… (Uses buildings power supply common earth with its effect on sound.  Power supply not isolated.)

·      Music sounded much better in the second and third row than the back of the room.  Too boomy at the back.  Very good where Alan set the mic for calibrations.

·      Very informative meeting. Nice to meet experts like Alan.

·      Interesting and pertinent. Roon [via UTP aka Ethernet - TomW] much better than Oppo.

·      Too much bass with 2 subwoofers.

·      Great.

·      DEQX Interesting.

·      Excellent meeting.  Very knowledgeable presenter.  Will be giving DEQX at try at home after what I heard today.

Once again, I extend our thanks to Alan for the very educational and entertaining afternoon.  

Photos to follow...

Tom Waters

SAC

I would like to thank all the members that attended the meeting and it was a pleasure to meet many old faces and some new.  A very enjoyable afternoon.

Alan

DEQX

missed this :-(

will make it a point to come in the next time around...

DEQX HDP-5 preamp processor, DEQX Integrated Amplifier, Epos ES11 speakers, Rythmik Audio FS12SE Subwoofers,Oppo BDP-105D Universal player.

post-140819-0-71413200-1468827100_thumb.post-140819-0-11894200-1468827103_thumb.post-140819-0-69127400-1468827104_thumb.post-140819-0-34704900-1468827106_thumb.post-140819-0-53390200-1468827107_thumb.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Eagleeyes
      Price: $ Item Condition: 9-10 Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact,I can ship this item Suburb or Town: Perth State: Western Australia Payment Method: Paypal, cash, EFT Reason for selling: Not required A very interesting Audio component that can do it all - a one box of magic to complete and complement the best systems. Use it as a crossover actively or with passive speakers, as your new pre amp with dac and for Roon as well. And its Aussie designed and made.

Silver in colour  with full microphone and remote in box, brochure can be downloaded and one you receive you register with Deqx and they give you access to their software updates and other calibration software.

New price is more than 9000 Australian dollars. I believe for 180 you can have a Deqx professional come and install it and calibrate your speakers, room and system completely.

Our flagship model – with HD-Active, touchscreen, and network streaming.
        5 digital inputs
        2 analog inputs
        Speaker correction
        Subwoofer integration
        Room correction
        Balanced outputs
        Digital "thru" output
        High/mid/low digital outputs
        Remote control
        Touch-screen control
        Roon Ready
        DLNA network streaming
        From
      $5495 USD†
      After clicking "Order HDP-5," you will be able to choose front panel color and other options.
       Order HDP-5 † Pricing in USD, not including freight, import duties and charges, or taxes. Authorised dealers may offer pricing in your local currency.     What's included
        DEQX hardware unit
      Your ordered DEQX hardware unit. Every single DEQX unit is individually tested before leaving the factory.
        Calibration kit
      A Standard Calibration Kit is included with every DEQX. The Reference Calibration Kit is an optional upgrade.
        Software USB stick
      Includes the DEQX-Cal™ installer, microphone calibration files, and a PDF version of the user manual.

The heart of your system
        DEQX preamp processors feature unrivalled functionality and connectivity. In many cases a single DEQX processor will replace multiple boxes, simplifying your system as well as adding functionality and increasing system performance.
      Preamp
      Single-ended and balanced analog I/O
      5-input DAC
      Digital outputs
      Roon Ready network streamer Full-featured remote
      Speaker calibration
      Room correction
      Subwoofer integration   HD-Active linear phase crossover   Multiple listening profiles Preference EQ ("forensic tone control"   Roon is the most engaging, enjoyable way to browse music
        Being Roon Ready lets our PreMate Plus and HDP-5 processors transparently discover and connect to Roon – with no network configuration – for bit-perfect delivery of audio.
      Together, Roon and DEQX deliver the power, flexibility and performance benefits of networked audio, with the easiest setup and highest reliability available. Learn more at roonlabs.com.

• By Bee-Fizzle
      Item:  DEQX Pre-Mate Plus (Silver)
      Price: $3500: Exchange for Black Pre-Mate Plus, HDP-4 or HDP-5 give or take $ as appropriate
      Item Condition:  Excellent with original box, remote looks a little untidy due to sticker coming off.
      Reason for selling: Got a used one to try out, it's amazing, the rest of my gear is black though.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: No introduction required, if you are looking at this then you already know what it is. I just want a black one....

If you have any of the above models in black and want a silver Pre-Mate Plus then let me know so we can arrange something!

The remote on my one looks a little tatty, but they all use the same one anyway, so I'll just keep my one if you prefer

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By XOTIC
      Item: DEQX 3 or 4 
      Price Range: Neg
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info:

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By Music..Man! :)
      Item:  Legend Tikandi Speaker System
      Price: $8500  $8250
      Item Condition: Used (Excellent)
      Reason for selling: Downsizing - and my ears aren't what they used to be - in boxes, doesn't get used.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (if you wear the fees), Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: 
      Limited Edition.  Legend Tikandi Active Speaker System.  Includes amplification (Marantz MM8003), DEQX, custom Legend matched center speaker, calibrated (with file) Earthworks DM23 microphone (this is an upgrade) and all handmade cables (silver wire interconnects). 

The Tikandi system was purchased at the start of this year from a Stereonet member 10 year warrantee on speakers from 2013 - which Legend will honour (I have checked with them..).

Although a reluctant sale, I'm a realist. After years in a loud industry, I don't have the ears that I used to and this system is wasted on me. The DEQX unit allows adjustment to room acoustics, and is currently setup with a recently acquired file from DEQX - their support (even to a second hand owner such as me) has been first rate.

The system is working perfectly and will stand up to any test.

Speakers are in very good condition - there are some very minor marks which are unnoticeable in normal conditions.

The amp and DEQX are in perfect condition.  Microphone has been used once and reboxed.

Interconnects are custom made Silverwire. Speaker cables supplied by Legend.

I have all original boxes and manuals and remotes. Boxed up after recent move and ready to go.

Any questions answered and more photos on request.

Some reviews to assist

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/floor-standing/legend-acoustics-tikandi-loudspeaker-system-with-deqx-hdp-3-processing/

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue57/deqx.htm 

Pictures:

• By niss_man
      Item: Complete Active System (minus speakers). Comprising of 1 x Najda (diy deqx system) and 2 x 3 channel amplifiers (Ska Audio modules)
      Price: $1800  1500 ONO Delivered for whole lot ..or $900 for Najda dsp and $400 for each 3 channel amplifier if sold separately.
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Recently gone back to passive to get some room back(1 less amp spot)
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: This system would be great for those who would like to go active. It includes the Najda DSP which is basically similar to a DEQX. This has 8 x outputs which come from it's inbuilt dac. It is controlled via pc software/interface and has everything you could think of.
      1.  Najda DIY Deqx with very low noise power supplies. Info can be found at  Najda website.

Najda Overview
      Najda is a multi-purpose stereo applications electronic board designed to sit at the heart of custom sound systems, between sources and amplifiers.
      Najda indeed is both a multi-way DSP filtering processor, and also a complete interfacing solution providing the same comfort of use one would expect from a modern integrated system - but in your custom package.
      Najda as a multi-way processor

Najda takes on its input an analogue stereo signal or a digital one - it can be SPDIF coaxial, SPDIF optical or merely I2S. The latter suits particularly well to a USB to I2S converter. Digital signals pass through the onboard sample rate converter so that there's no need worrying about the source's sampling rate.

Outputs are available in various forms too. 8 unbalanced analogue outputs, with analogue volume and configurable level, let you feed immediately 8 power amps in order to build any system as large as 2x4 ways. If you have special requirements - for example you'd like balanced outputs - then you can connect your own DACs to the 10 SPDIF outs and achieve a 2x5 ways system. Additionally, another 3 pairs of signals with free routing are available as I2S.

In between is the dual-core DSP, which implements on 10 processing channels a wide range of algorithms useful for multi-way speaker management. Please refer to the software section to read more about the available algorithms. Internal DSP sampling rate is user selectable and can be any of 48, 96 and 192 kHz.
      Najda as a complete interfacing solution

In order to integrate Najda into his system, the user needs to provide:
      A standard 2x16 LCD display - can be any size and any colour A standard IR receiver module 8 push-buttons Optionally up to 7 leds In return, the user is being given the comfort of a modern system interface in a custom package. Commands that Najda understands - via keypad or IR remote controller - are various and include of course volume change and input source select, but also tone control and balance adjusts as well as filtering preset recall. Full operating status is presented on the LCD display.
      As many as 9 filtering presets can be stored in Najda's non-volatile memory and recalled from the fingertip, in order to ease A/B comparisons between several filtering strategies or simply to enable different filtering options adapted to the content.
      Najda boasts a Learn function that allows setting the remote controller behaviour in less than a minute.

2. 2 x 3 channel amplifiers. This has 3 of SKA-GB150D amplifiers in each box. Info at Greg Balls Website.       

Pictures:

Active DSP. Najda. * Channel Output