Thoughts on interconnects for turntables > phono stage > preamp

Hi again everyone, and hope you're enjoying the day! On my current setup journey, I've now got my turntable going in my new system, and it's already sounding great! It certainly needs some tweaking, and I reckon I could improve things greatly with a few small changes (not to mention getting some record cleaner! Suggestions welcome on that topic!).

So, I have:

Pro-ject 6.1 turntable with Ortofon MC10 cart > Creek Audio OBH-9SE phono stage > Wyred4Sound STP-SE pre

I was wondering about experiences with cabling for starters? I had a look here, but I'm interested in silver vs copper, long vs short, RCA vs XLR - that sort of thing.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/58011-great-cheap-phono-interconects-have-to-let-you-guys-know/?hl=interconnects

I will likely soon get some of these (silver interconnects) to go dac>pre and cd>pre

http://stagersound.com/silver/order.htm

So perhaps I should get some for the phono too? I have also started a thread about the "balanced" nature of phono signals. In my setup, I could:

1. Go RCA phono >phono stage> pre

2. RCA phono>phono stage> then RCA to XLR pre

3. Have the tone arm reward and go fully balanced (but would need a new phono stage....

Lastly, as can be seen in pics, I have cheapo cabling with "inbuilt" ground wire. Once a setup is decided upon, what's the best way to do a new ground?

Awesome!

Mat

post-155585-0-93418800-1467507516_thumb.

post-155585-0-50942000-1467507551_thumb.

Guest Muon

Just make sure the table to phono stage ones are shielded, and quality as the lower the signal level the more quality will show through IMO.

Shielded yes. But what defines "quality" in this instance? I assume we need very low impedance given the nature of the signal? So does this mean silver? Also, I can manage very short lengths with the current little phono stage, so should I get super short?

The Aurealis phono cable is a nice bit of kit:

http://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/phono-cables-shielded/

The new entry-level Aurealis 'The Source' cable is shielded and would also do the trick. The use the nice 'Star' RCAs which are the bang-for-buck champs IMHO:

http://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/aurealis-the-source-interconnect-shielded/

If you went for the latter cable, you could use whatever tickles your fancy for the ground wire (eg. a short length of wire with bare twisted ends, or with crimped spade connections on each end). 

Guest Muon

Low capacitance is wanted in a phono IC, quality refers to every part of the cable and connectors, the conductors, dielectric and construction, connectors too.

The Aurealis phono cables above are a safe bet, and one I went with.

Edit: Short is good as it means even lower capacitance.

Edited by Muon

I have just recently been trying the Aurealis R3 cables from SUT to phono stage in comparison to the Van Damm  silver plated OFC.

The R3 solid silver cable is very good but the silver litz is a step above.  These both were using the KLEI absolute harmony.

It had wider and deeper sound stage and tighter control of lows and highs.

Unless you are willing to buy on spec or others suggestion you will never know until you have it in your system and spend some time with it.

Once I decide on a SUT I will be implementing the R3 silver litz!  Perhaps hard wired one end into the SUT to avoid one set of plugs and sockets.

P.S. Regards length.  Future proof yourself as if you go short then decide on a SUT or head amp etc you will be limited on positioning them away from sources of interference e.g. transformers, turn table motors etc. 

Thanks mates! Some nice food for thought here. Yeah - if only I could manage to buy lots of sets, audition, then move on the losers, but a bit of an expensive undertaking!

I agree on the length - I'm yet to build my final (!) cabinet, and let's face it, stuff moves and changes.....

I have just recently been trying the Aurealis R3 cables from SUT to phono stage in comparison to the Van Damm silver plated OFC.

Why not compare against a LOMC phono stage which will:

• take the phono cable directly
  • thus doing away with a. a SUT and b. a set of cables?

Andy

@@andyr because my MC is only 100 uV output and I only built my valve phono amp at Christmas and don't want to move on.  The MC on my amp does not have enough gain so I use the SUT at 36x and the MM stage.  Is better than the SUT and Graham Slee reflex M and straight into the Graham Slee era gold.

But I understand what you are saying.

@@andyr because my MC is only 100 uV output and I only built my valve phono amp at Christmas and don't want to move on.  The MC on my amp does not have enough gain so I use the SUT at 36x and the MM stage.  Is better than the SUT and Graham Slee reflex M and straight into the Graham Slee era gold.

But I understand what you are saying.

Aah, yes - 0.1mV LOMCs are a problem!  ;)

Andy

P.S. Regards length. Future proof yourself as if you go short then decide on a SUT or head amp etc you will be limited on positioning them away from sources of interference e.g. transformers, turn table motors etc.

This becomes crucial if you want to run a very low output MC cartridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much are they? What did you compare them to?

Compared them to nothing (I'm not made of money!! :P), I just have used them myself (obtained on Ebay cheaper than RRP) and they're great, and know from reviews that they compare well in price to other high end brands......and they're German, a pretty good place to start. :)

Edited by stevoz

@@Mat-with-one-t

Mat, looking at the pics in ya' original post, could I suggest that you try and keep signal cables well away from power cables :cool:

Nice pickup. Yeah I just moved everything and hadn't got to organising the mess yet! My eventual plan will be to have all power stuff well away, and perhaps add a reconditioner down the track.

Guest Conifer

I'm using the MIT5 interconnect RCA cables and from my turntable > Pre Phono > Preamp

As Muon mentioned, power away from RCA/Signal cables, I was trying hard to keep my cables organised also. Only just plugged everything back up on Sunday. It was a long day...