Sign in to follow this  
Mat-with-one-t

All turntable cartridge output is a balanced signal, yes?

Hi gang. I'm continuing on my steep learning curve procrastination.....I mean.....research. I am setting up new gear, and plan to integrate my old Pro-ject 6.1 tt into the new system. I currently use a modest little Creek phono stage.

My new setup can potentially be totally balanced front to back. No, this is not a debate about single ended vs balanced post!

Rather, I am interested in advice on how to get the best out of the turntable connections (and no, it's not a post about placement, vibration isolation either!).

I have a pre with balanced XLR in and out. I have true balanced XLR in Monoblock valve power amps.

One set of balanced inputs to pre will be taken by a dac, leaving one spare.

So (whew) this is the question. If one runs RCA leads from tt (as it is currently), are these technically carrying a balanced signal? If so, then I assume if up I use/build a phono stage that can keep a balanced signal to pre, then we still have a true balanced signal?

Or, does the tt need rewiring for XLR outs?

Or, does it not make a difference?

Or......?

Ideas?

Guest Hensa

I'm no expert on this but there is some interesting reading on the Aqvox site. I use a CEC (designed by the Aqvox designer) balanced phono stage which is utterly silent but whether that is purely down to the balanced connections or not, I couldn't tell you. I do know that the sound is dramatically better with the balanced inputs on this particular phono stage.

Scroll down the linked page for the information. They also have a list of tonearms (including Project) that are considered suitable for a balanced connection (they have a floating ground).

http://www.aqvox.de/phono.html

I'm no expert on this but there is some interesting reading on the Aqvox site. I use a CEC (designed by the Aqvox designer) balanced phono stage which is utterly silent but whether that is purely down to the balanced connections or not, I couldn't tell you. I do know that the sound is dramatically better with the balanced inputs on this particular phono stage.

Scroll down the linked page for the information. They also have a list of tonearms (including Project) that are considered suitable for a balanced connection (they have a floating ground).

http://www.aqvox.de/phono.html

hmmmm would love to try this phono to see if it would quiet down my main cart

Guest Hensa

hmmmm would love to try this phono to see if it would quiet down my main cart

Here's the CEC equivalent which can be had for a lot less and sounds remarkable with the balanced inputs (only for MC carts). It certainly eliminated some hum I was getting from a Dyna 17D2 before that cart was retired.

http://www.cec-web.co.jp/products/amp/ph53/ph53_e.html

Edited by Hensa

Here's the CEC equivalent which can be had for a lot less and sounds remarkable with the balanced inputs (only for MC carts). It certainly eliminated some hum I was getting from a Dyna 17D2 before that cart was retired.

http://www.cec-web.co.jp/products/amp/ph53/ph53_e.html

thanks mate who sells them?

i guess i should experiment with my parasound to see if it's the tube noise

The correct operation of a balanced input, requires that  all shielding or screens  have to be separated from the signal wires which are referred to as hot (+) 0 and cold (-). For phono ccts this means that depending on the cartridge type and if SUT,s are in use , the operation can either be floating or balanced to ground.Added to this the cables running from the pickup arm to the preamp need to be  of a twin shielded type and the plugs ,most likely, XLR types. The main hindrance to a balanced connection will be dependent on how the pickup arm wires are terminated at the arm base, as this can be quite a task to  do  neatly.

Edited by VanArn

Guest Hensa

thanks mate who sells them?

Not sure - got mine from a former distributor or dealer through ebay a year or so ago.

Not sure - got mine from a former distributor or dealer through ebay a year or so ago.

lucky man. even the hifishark has no listing recorded there lol

Hi gang. I'm continuing on my steep learning curve procrastination.....I mean.....research. I am setting up new gear, and plan to integrate my old Pro-ject 6.1 tt into the new system. I currently use a modest little Creek phono stage.

My new setup can potentially be totally balanced front to back. No, this is not a debate about single ended vs balanced post!

Rather, I am interested in advice on how to get the best out of the turntable connections (and no, it's not a post about placement, vibration isolation either!).

I have a pre with balanced XLR in and out. I have true balanced XLR in Monoblock valve power amps.

One set of balanced inputs to pre will be taken by a dac, leaving one spare.

So (whew) this is the question. If one runs RCA leads from tt (as it is currently), are these technically carrying a balanced signal? If so, then I assume if up I use/build a phono stage that can keep a balanced signal to pre, then we still have a true balanced signal?

Or......?

Ideas?

short answer is yes  to your question about is all cartridges are balanced signals

Duc

Edited by lovetube

Or......?

Ideas?

The output of a cartridge is in principle balanced UNTIL one side (usually the negative) is connected to ground. This may happen at the cartridge (where the (-) side of one channel is connected to a magnetic screen around the cartridge internal wiring, or happen when one side of the cartridge wiring is connected to ground through normal, or 'single ended' connections using RCA cables.

To be absolutely clear, RCA cables cannot carry a balanced signal. 

Edited by johnmath

Thanks for the maths John. Yeah that was always my understanding re the rca's. Thanks!

Mat.

if you want to use your balance on your phono then change the RCA on your tonearm output to XLR with the correct connection .

Mat.

if you want to use your balance on your phono then change the RCA on your tonearm output to XLR with the correct connection .

Yeah I might ask about doing this when I drop the old girl in for a service.....

Yeah I might ask about doing this when I drop the old girl in for a service.....

cool.

i convert one right now for the member here .

Duc