Sign in to follow this  
dwayne

creative sounds 2.5 way questions

Hi guys I'm wanting to build a centre channel using 2 wr125s and one usher, these will match my main speakers  (exodus 2641's) which have the same mid tweet complement.

I want to build a 2.5 where the tweet and mid are facing the audience and the remaining mid (wr125) is facing the tv wall but only operating in the lower region purely to bolster bass performance.

question is do I run this in a 2.5 way format or 3 way??

I assume the rear facing driver would need to be reverse polarity.

The cabinet will sit up right hence the rear driver to reduce height. WAF!!

Thoughts guys?

Guest scumbag

Hi,

can you please explain further what drivers you are talking about?

On the face of it you will need to run either 2 woofers, firing backwards or 4 woofers with 2 firing forward and 2 firing back. Depends on how low the mids go of course. If your mids go down to 80hz then you could send the woofers to the back only.

If the mids do not go that low then you need to cross them over higher (whatever the mid will accommodate). You would then run the 2 front firing ones in series and the 2 rear ones in series. You then parallel the rear ones with the front ones but insert an inductor in line with the rear ones. So for example, you have 2 woofers that run up to 500hz to meet the midrange. They are wired in series (let's say 12ohms). You then run the rears in parallel but add an inductor in series, let's say 5.6mh to form a 1st order low pass. You set the frequency of the lowpass to correspond roughly with the baffle step frequency so that they will 1. Not send out higher frequencies which will muddy the sound. 2. Will augment the bass at frequencies below the baffle step frequency.

Send me details of the drivers and your proposed crossover points.

Mark

Muon you are correct they are the ones!

Mark i was hoping to have the tweet and mid on the front and have an additional mid on the back just to supoort lower bass.

The front 2way would have the same crossover as my mains which use the same drivers (cant remeber the crossover off hand) however was going to run the mid full range, then piggy back another mid rear facing with a low pass just for lower mid bass performance.

Was hoping to determine ideal low pass for that mid and if it needed to be reverse polarity as it will be facing the wall with about 300mm gap.

The wr125 has a fs of 68hz.

Thanks for your help.

Dwayne.

As a side note not expecting crazy output or bass from this unit just want matching timbre whilst having decent midbass for movies will be set to small on reciever which i can configure to 40hz to eliminate nasties.

I assume the rear facing driver would need to be reverse polarity.

Not necessarily, but it will be better for it to have quite a steep low pass filter (so it really only plays bass)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FreddieB
      Item: Pair GoldenEar SuperSat 3 and 50C center
      Price: $old
      Item Condition: Good to Very good
      Reason for selling: Surplus to needs
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Speakers are in great condition and sound excellent just surplus to needs atm and trying to clear out some extra gear.    One small hole (~2mm) in grill cover on one of the SuperSat 3s and some minor mounting marks on speakers but other than that in great condition.  Will ship at buyer's expense. If picked up I will include some steel speaker stands to go along with the supersat 3s.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By LachlanJM
      Item: Paradigm Millenia 20 Center Speaker
      Price: $250
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info: Selling because I've sold all my other home theatre gear. Only have stereo sound now, so no longer need a centre channel!  Excellent condition. Comes from a  smoke free pet free home. Still have original packaging. Local pickup preferred. 
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By maccdaddy
      Item: B&W HTM62 S1 Center Speaker 
      Price: $150
      Item Condition: Used 
      Reason for selling: NLR 
      Extra Info: 
      Ideal match for B&W 685, 684 and 683 S1 speakers.
      Perfect operational condition.

Tweeter dust cap was pushed in by a child, cap has been carefully drawn back out, though minor creases are still visible. No audible difference, cosmetic only.
      Pictures:

• By Bruno28
      Item: Thiel MCS1 Speaker
      Price: $900
      Item Condition: Very good outside condition. Both the woofers have some deformities. See photos.
      Reason for selling: Not being used. Need funds
      Extra Info:
      As can be seen on the photos both the 6.5inch woofers had the dust cap pushed inwards. As it is a aluminium driver, when I pulled them back out it did leave some visual marks.
      The marks do not affect the sound of the speaker and you can use the speaker cover and will never know there is a visual annoyance from the dust caps.

Some specs:
      Nominal Power: 300 Watt RMS;
      Magnetic Shielding: Magnetically Shielded;
      Speakers Function: Main / Stereo; Construction: 3-Way;
      Connectivity: Cable; Frequency Reponse: 47 Hz - 23 kHz;
      Sensitivity: 90 dB;
      Woofer Size: 6.5;
      Woofer Material: Metal;
      Tweeter Size: 1;
      Midrange Size: 3.5;
      Cabinet Finish: Metallic & wood.

It is hand made in USA and has the signature of the person who made it in the back.
      Its got a beautiful wood finish and this this is heavy, 34kg. they weigh the same as my much bigger Kef R900 floorstander.
      These retailed $3000usd each. There is a pair on eBay for $3500 currently (second hand) so $1000 justifies the asking price.
      Was originally going to be used as a centre speaker for a home theatre setup as its perfect for laying down horizontally.

Pictures:

• By Bruno28
      Item: Thiel MCS1 Speaker
      Price: $1000
      Item Condition: Very good outside condition. Both the woofers have some deformities. See photos.
      Reason for selling: Not being used. Need funds
      Extra Info:
      As can be seen on the photos both the 6.5inch woofers had the dust cap pushed inwards. As it is a aluminium driver, when I pulled them back out it did leave some visual marks.
      The marks do not affect the sound of the speaker and you can use the speaker cover and will never know there is a visual annoyance from the dust caps.

Some specs:
      Nominal Power: 300 Watt RMS;
      Magnetic Shielding: Magnetically Shielded;
      Speakers Function: Main / Stereo; Construction: 3-Way;
      Connectivity: Cable; Frequency Reponse: 47 Hz - 23 kHz;
      Sensitivity: 90 dB;
      Woofer Size: 6.5;
      Woofer Material: Metal;
      Tweeter Size: 1;
      Midrange Size: 3.5;
      Cabinet Finish: Metallic & wood.

It is hand made in USA and has the signature of the person who made it in the back.
      Its got a beautiful wood finish and this this is heavy, 34kg. they weigh the same as my much bigger Kef R900 floorstander.
      These retailed $3000usd each. There is a pair on eBay for $3500 currently (second hand) so $1000 justifies the asking price.
      Was originally going to be used as a centre speaker for a home theatre setup as its perfect for laying down horizontally.

Pictures: