Sign in to follow this  
Super Mustud

Cigar confession

The Quai Dorsay Corona is by far the smoothest Cuban cigar I have smoked, in my limited experience. From tip to tail it did not disappoint. I bought only two samples from our favourite commie forum. I'm thinking of storing the other one for a while, to see how it matures.

But I'll have to remove Mustud's name from it, first.

Only just found this thread, wonderful  :thumb:

I have 3 humidors at home, a few hundred sticks in total.  Nothing like that smell when you open the box...

Had a NUB 2 weeks ago, I often forget just how good they are, and the price is excellent.  I bought a box of Alonso Menendez about 4 years ago, fantastic smoke, starts off mellow and really flavours up on the last 1/3rd with fruit & spice.  Have a Ghurka Cognac sitting there for my 40th coming up soon, had that for about 4 years so can't wait.  And also a big fan of Winston Churchill Blenheims (made by Davidoff).  Yeah, love Cubans of course, but there's stacks of great cigars not just from there as well - like the Alonso's (Brazil) I mentioned, and Teamo (Mexico)...just not enough time...

I usually stick with a nice bourbon and dry ginger with a cigar, suits my palate perfectly!  Here's one of my humidors -

post-134860-0-62007400-1387547964_thumb.

post-134860-0-95567300-1387547977_thumb.

post-134860-0-80237000-1387547988_thumb.

You have some funky cigars, Kaynin. Nice collection. I like the look of those Siglos :welcome:

I have only about forty, stored in a plastic storage crate in my basement room. They keep nicely in there and I too love that arome on opening the crate.

I started that Corona on the tail end of a Chimay Blue and then onto a Macallan FO 12. A perfect smoking experience.

Thanks mate, has taken me a while to collect what's there.  My mates know that the majority of my collection is open to guests to try, that's what I love about it - friends over for drinks and they can choose their own, then we just sit back and enjoy.

Good eye rehab, the Siglos IV's are very nice, I bought 25 about 4 years ago, that's what's left.  Haven't had one for a long time now, so can't exactly remember what they're like!  Will have to bust one out for New Year's perhaps...also a big fan of the Montecristo #4's (2nd photo, far left, the 3 on top).

What are you using to control the climate in the crate?

Ha! An educated guess. Never tried a IV. Maybe one day.

Yeah, mines and open box too, on occasions. Like tonight last night ;) Had my work crew over for a Xmas bbq. A few of them enjoyed an Upmann Half Corona, while I smoked the boss cigar.

I have a weather station in the box to keep an eye on things. A tiny cup of water to help maintain humidity. Interestingly, I have found that once things are settled at ~64-65%, it maintains that for a while without any water. My basement hideout maintains a very pleasant 21-22C even through summer. I have noticed an improvement on new stock after a couple of weeks in the box. Time will tell how things improve over a longer period. It's been about seven months since I started collecting.

Ha! An educated guess. Never tried a IV. Maybe one day.   

Yeah, mines and open box too, on occasions. Like tonight last night ;) Had my work crew over for a Xmas bbq. A few of them enjoyed an Upmann Half Corona, while I smoked the boss cigar.     

I have a weather station in the box to keep an eye on things. A tiny cup of water to help maintain humidity. Interestingly, I have found that once things are settled at ~64-65%, it maintains that for a while without any water. My basement hideout maintains a very pleasant 21-22C even through summer. I have noticed an improvement on new stock after a couple of weeks in the box. Time will tell how things improve over a longer period. It's been about seven months since I started collecting.

PM a postal address if you like, I'll send you a Siglo to try.

LOL - that's the way, I left others choose theirs first, then I pull out the big banger!

That's how easy it is to maintain a humidor.  Before I got into it I thought it was stacks of work, but it's so easy.  Your cellar is already a fantastic environment to start with, little can go wrong from there.  Yeah, it's always great to see the improvements in cigars the longer they're stored, it's like good red wine really. 

I just check each box once a month for distilled water, and then once every 6 months mix 50% propylene glycol, easy peasy.

Gunna smoke the last of my RyJ Romeo no.2s with a mate today, then decide which sampler pack to buy off the web. So many choices!!

That's what weekends are for!  Let us know what you decide upon.  Samplers are awesome, a great way to discover your new favourite!

Still need to buy a humidor. Have to wait til next month's pay for that unfortunately

Throw a picture up of the humidor as well if you like...

Nice finish and exterior design, and good for $100 delivered.  Main design features that I see which are positive are -

1. Cedar wood breathes, which is important for the climate inside;
  2. There's a lip on the inside of the opening which helps to make an airtight seal;
  3. The hinges are an excellent design, again helping with an airtight seal;
  4. Analogue hygrometer on the exterior for easy maintenance.

The advert doesn't say the cigar count, I'd ask that.  the dimensions seem good, but just check.  The count they give isn't usually based on the largest cigar sizes in the world, they're more likely smaller, so take the count accordingly.

Overall seems it will do the trick to me.

Fonseca #1 with a 2004 Lindemans riesling. Lovely!
f9f0680facc426e0045cdc9419ca467a.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave O))) said:

Dominican or Cuban fonseca? I've had a couple of the Cuban ones in Havana but I don't know them very well. 

2 hours ago, Dave O))) said:

f9f0680facc426e0045cdc9419ca467a.jpg

Nice!  The finer things in life, and at Christmas time too.

The last Fonseca I had was about 5 years ago at a wedding.  I can't remember anything about it because it was many cigars ago, but I did enjoy it!

Dominican or Cuban fonseca? I've had a couple of the Cuban ones in Havana but I don't know them very well. 
Cuban and a Lonsdale. A perfectly proportioned stick. A mild and nuanced smoke, well suited to the wine and in between a meal of roast pork and the dessert of rice pudding.

I have a Partagas serie E #2 tubo lined up for tomorrow. Some say these are a suitable alternative to a Behike. It will be my first so I am looking forward to it!

Guest JohnA

ohhh i had a couple cigars on Saturday night

valrhona caramelia chocolate and rosemary infused cigars, raspberry vinaigrette gel, smoked chocolate ash

absolutely delish .  :)

aaa.jpg.65a3da1398910c5affd4afa0359766cb.jpg

IMG_2642.JPG.c8d77d9ca0447ad05fe5bf8fcdd8fbbd.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG.7c37c287bc7de893eb240cc9e0239018.JPG

52 minutes ago, JohnA said:

valrhona caramelia chocolate and rosemary infused cigars, raspberry vinaigrette gel, smoked chocolate ash

Hehe, someone has been to Om Nom.

Back to the real stuff, Saturday night  Cohiba Esplendido with a Pikes kriek and a Boatrocker Ramjet

20190105_194456.thumb.jpg.7105af1d0eda6cef1a0e53840cd053bb.jpg