Sign in to follow this  
Super Mustud

Cigar confession

At the risk of resurrecting a dead thread (yes, a terribly dark pun perhaps...) I was wondering if anyone out there is enjoying these sublime little beauties?

Recently spent time in Cuba and finally 'got' the appeal of a good stoogie. Which isn't hard given the context and the price.

Wondering if anyone wants to share their favourites (and why...) and maybe some tips on where to buy them.

And maybe selection tips (I learn that rolling it next to your ear is not only the domain of TV villains - apparently if it crackles too much, it's overly dry...) and storage. I haven't invested in a humidor for the den yet....

At forty clams a throw I leave Cohibas for Xmas, but enjoy a Punch or Partagas more often. R & Y no 2's are a favourite too.

btw - I'm a reformed pack a day man and have never felt the urge to go back to the little white demons. I got hypnotised and haven't looked back - anyone struggling PM me and I'll send the details.

Anyway, gentlemen, over to you....Smoke 'em if you got 'em.....

I wonder about how dangerous cigar smoking is wrt lung cancer? Whilst one should not inhale cigar smoke, it must obviously get into the lungs to some extent. I think that there is also the issue that cigarettes have all sorts of ****ty additives that are said not to be in cigars.

But I am not trying to be an apologist for cigars, just wondering.

:)

Got an answer http://www.quitnow.info.au/internet/quitnow/publishing.nsf/Content/D8958AEC33CDA5CCCA257475001ADBB3/$File/cigar_lung.pdf

It's all genetic.

Some people never smoke and die from lung cancer.

Speaking of which.......I got a carton of Marlboro fags made in Virginia last week.

The cigarette companies here have a lot to answer for with the crap they sell.

I can't see it getting any better when all production moves to China.

It's all genetic.

Speaking of which.......I got a carton of Marlboro fags made in Virginia last week.

Pretty the best and worst of everything is made in China. Audio gear, cars, cigars, women...

Just need to know where to look.

The American made products are smooth and tasty with excellent quality control............unlike the Camels that are about the best smoke available in Australia legally......and they are made in Malaysia.

The cigarette companies here have a lot to answer for

They certainly do.

It's all genetic.

Funnily enough when I was in Fiji last year in may I bought a pack of Fijian B&Hs, and they were so terrible I quit on the spot and haven't had a cigarette since.

Funnily enough when I was in Fiji last year in may I bought a pack of Fijian B&Hs, and they were so terrible I quit on the spot and haven't had a cigarette since.

It can do that!

The lack of decent product in Australia has me thinking about it!

Wondering if anyone wants to share their favourites (and why...) and maybe some tips on where to buy them.

Partagas Series D, La Gloriana Robusto, Hoyo de Monterey Epicure 1s and 2s

If you're in Melbourne, then by far the best is Wal Baranows shop in Hawthorn

Selection tips: sourcing is everything. Go see Wal (or Ben)

Haven't had a puff now for over 12 years.

Used to like Villiger Exports.

mmmm wouldn't mind one right now......

Guest Muon

I'm still a cigarette smoker... yet I can't stand the smell of cigars, just one fired up across the other side of a beer garden can make me nauseous!

I've been on and off the ciggies for years now, (currently off) but enjoy Malboro Gold when I indulge.

Over in the Philippines a soft pack would cost about 80 cents a pack, and are so much better than the local version sold here in Australia.

This thread has truly turned to the dark side.....the love (of nicotine and all it's delivery systems...) that dare not speak it's name.

I'll repeat - I'm a reformed pack a day man and anyone in need should PM me for the number of a guaranteed hypnotist. But if you're happy on the marlboros, bonne chance to you.

Cheers Gimlet for the sourcing tip. In the past I've visited a certain merchant (who will remain nameless) on Toorak road and found them to be patronising, elitist and over-priced. Otherwise, I've been relying on some pretty low-fi tobacconists with either counter top humidors or small humidfied rooms. Perhaps not perfect conditioning but the price is right....

Looking forward to giving the marques you mentioned a spin.

What ring gauge are the Partagus D and what do you think is a fair price?

What ring gauge are the Partagus D and what do you think is a fair price?

Series D No4 (the robusto I prefer) is a 50 gauge and should be under 30 bucks. I also forgot to recommend the Cuesta Rey maduro no 7 (robusto) which is my casual cigar of choice and should be under 25. The sub-30 is my main stomping ground, which is why I don't smoke cohibas.

Series D No4 (the robusto I prefer) is a 50 gauge and should be under 30 bucks. I also forgot to recommend the Cuesta Rey maduro no 7 (robusto) which is my casual cigar of choice and should be under 25. The sub-30 is my main stomping ground, which is why I don't smoke cohibas.

Great tips - cheers.

I've been on and off the ciggies for years now, (currently off) but enjoy Malboro Gold when I indulge.

Over in the Philippines a soft pack would cost about 80 cents a pack, and are so much better than the local version sold here in Australia.

Are they made there or the US?

Only started having a go at the cigars recently, tried a few cigar packs with different brands really like Padron cigars.

I can still remember the days when smoking was allowed in the workplace. We used to have someone who insisted on smoking his Old Boot cigars in the corridor. The smell would linger for ages, so you could always determine his whereabouts by following the strength of the odour.

I can remember when teachers smoked in the classroom and doctors smoked in their consulting rooms!

Ah... a big week of work conquered... prawn tacos for dinner with a crisp riesling and a Punch 'Churchill' on the balcony for dessert.

Baranows describe them as a cigar everyone should try once and I'm in emphatic accord. Mild but with lovely spice and an exceptionally pleasant finish. At 7" it's a meal in itself but not fatiguing.

Went extremely well with a Hart Brothers Bowmore single from my local Dan M's.

If only the Pies had found a little extra something in the fourth quarter it would have been the perfect Friday night.

Oh, well, we battle on...

One of these

romeo-julietta-cedro-deluxe-no1.jpg

and a glass of this

103-1441.jpg

and you've stepped into heaven.

You're welcome.

I had a few exceptional cigars lately in Singapore along with some

Jonny walker blue - all fed to me by some lovely girls in a private kareoke room after a business meeting. I have to say it wasnt a chore - now a distant memory as I remain without a job Grrr

One of these

romeo-julietta-cedro-deluxe-no1.jpg

and a glass of this

103-1441.jpg

and you've stepped into heaven.

You're welcome.

I'll drink to that.

Has anyone tried Romeo y Julieta Churchills?

I've got few still left from me last birthday :) and couple of other brand which I haven't tried yet.

Thanks for reminding Mustud :thumb:

Just got a box of these for Xmas. I don't drink but after a huge Xmas lunch with good coffee and chocolate...Just the ticket!

MONTECRISTO%20Pt%20Edmundo%20-%2010.JPG

Just got a box of these for Xmas. I don't drink but after a huge Xmas lunch with good coffee and chocolate...Just the ticket!

MONTECRISTO%20Pt%20Edmundo%20-%2010.JPG

One of my cousins is a great cigar fancier. He will coming over for New Year's eve and I know that he will bring some great cigars to try with my Scotch. That is all well and good, however I only smoke one or two times per year, so even though I enjoy a good cigar I do not get through very much. I will have to hide the Davidoffs left over from his last visit.

I hope you can get through that box, stewyh. Do you have a humidor? Cuz even gave me a little humidor so that when he visits his cigars stay in good nick. I really should pay more attention...