Sign in to follow this  
Addicted to music

Foods outside the Box

Hmmm. Those spiders reminded me of Cambodia. But they were seriously oily and tasted of nothing else. And, to be honest, most bugs I've tried have just not been that appetising - maybe it's the texture, I'm not sure.

As far as meats in Australia, all the crocodile you can buy is farmed, and they feed them all chickens, so the croc you get pretty much tastes like chicken. If you ever get a chance to taste croc with an aboriginal family or group, don't hesitate. Tender, delicious and not at all like chicken - and not nearly so fatty.

Water buffalo (which I don't think you can get any more) was fantastic. Sort of like beef, but about 4 times the flavour, really intense. Even the eye fillet was sort of dense and tough, but tasted fantastic. A real shame, but I think they killed them all because of brucellosis(?) or something like that.

Camel is a real eye opener, can also be tender and delicious and has a flavour somewhere between aged beef and pork.

Snake that I've had is generally file snake (so named because of it's rough skin). Not bad, but tends to be good with strong spices or vegetables as it is almost always overcooked. And if it's not, it tastes a bit like catfish.

But what's not to like about durian, I wonder? I mean, just about everyone I know likes washed rind cheese, yet turns up their nose at the smell of durian. All the more for me, I guess...

I've tried chicken feet once. Very...... crunchy.

Also tried sea cucumber...once. Very.... gelatinous.

:unsure:

I've never had crunchy chook feet, just the suck-the-meat-from-the-toes kind. And they were delish.

What about Black Pudding, Morcilla, Butifarra? The old blood sausage.

Growing up in Sweden we used to have that for dinner on a regular basis.

Not 100% sure if we're talking about the same thing here, but it was a large "sausage" about 120mm dia, sliced in about 10-15mm thick slices, then fried until a bit crispy.

We'd have it with fried eggs, spuds, coleslaw and lingonberry jam.

Yum

:P

People go EEEEW that's weird and that's disgusting about a lot of cooked meats/creatures.....

....yet have NO probles slurping down raw oysters!

Yuk

Ocean snot.

Has no taste

You can't chew it

It's not cooked

Just swallow it

Don't mind them Kilpatrick'd, or cooked in a dish.... but raw....what's the point?

People go EEEEW that's weird and that's disgusting about a lot of cooked meats/creatures.....

Yuk

Ocean snot.

Has no taste

You can't chew it

It's not cooked

Just swallow it

Don't mind them Kilpatrick'd, or cooked in a dish.... but raw....what's the point?

Axtually, they do have a taste. They taste like snot. From the ocean. And I love them. :)

Axtually, they do have a taste. They taste like snot. From the ocean.

Hahahahahahahaha

Yuk

Ocean snot.

Has no taste

You can't chew it

It's not cooked

Just swallow it

At an all you can eat expensive restaurant, I downed 3 dozen raw oysters with different sources. The BOSS freaked out! Then they stopped them coming.... Errrrr! Hot happy Jan. So I got stuck into the smoked salmon and sushi......gotta get my monies worth... Believe me, I was sick of the full plate of smoked salmon.....must have been a kg of it that I devoured.... Then they stopped filling that too.... Then it was the tiger prawns..... then the Greek octopus Salid.... By the time we finish, I wasn't feeling too well. :unsure:

At an all you can eat expensive restaurant, I downed 3 dozen raw oysters with different sources. The BOSS freaked out! Then they stopped them coming.... Errrrr! Hot happy Jan. So I got stuck into the smoked salmon and sushi......gotta get my monies worth... Believe me, I was sick of the full plate of smoked salmon.....must have been a kg of it that I devoured.... Then they stopped filling that too.... Then it was the tiger prawns..... then the Greek octopus Salid.... By the time we finish, I wasn't feeling too well. :unsure:

... probably didn't look well either

davyjones.jpg

Any fans of Jerusalem Artichoke?

They're in season about now but usually have to look around a bit to find some.

Usually have to tell the register operator what they are, or they'll put them through as ginger.

They're an acquired taste, bit of a smoky flavour.

all you can eat expensive restaurant I downed 3 dozen raw oysters with different sources.

The BOSS freaked out!

Can''t see why....

Then they stopped them coming....

Can't see why...

So I got stuck into the smoked salmon and sushi......gotta get my monies worth... Believe me, I was sick of the full plate of smoked salmon.....must have been a kg of it that I devoured.... Then they stopped filling that too.... Then it was the tiger prawns..... then the Greek octopus Salid...

:wacko:

. By the time we finish, I wasn't feeling too well. :unsure:

Serves you right.

That's just stupid.

Another is this, there's no way I Would be tucking into this, even if I was staving.

http://elsewhere.nine.com.au/2016/06/24/14/02/0624-phnom-phen-unusual-eats

Really not my cup of tea but a lot of this comes from necessity... When your option is to starve or eat this when you're hiding from Pol Pot then I suppose you're gonna try it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of protein comes from insect in the future due to necessity.

I'm looking forward to that about as much as drinking recycled water

Eats ocean snot

Won't eat deep fried spider.

Right

Channelling Homer Simpson eh?

Did you eat the display plastic lobster as well and get thrown out?

Hi JakeyB, agree with what you say, if I was starving I would eat anything nutritios. I have eaten tarantulas, grasshoppers and worms, and steak season with red ants. All good.

It's all rather subjective really.

Went to a dinner party years ago when the food was all coloured with food dye.  Orange roast, purple peas, green spuds etc. Tasted fine in a blindfold test but there was copious moaning from the diners.

Went camping years ago with a bunch of families who ate communally at night.  I made a salad and enquired if adding tinned fish was okay.  'Sure' was the reply.

Evil me had previously bought a tin of wild red salmon and a tin of black and gold cat food and swapped the labels.  As I ostentatiously opened the tin there were cries of horror.

me - 'no problemo, much cheaper !'.

them - no no no no

me - 'look it all comes from the same factory - what are you worried about ?'

them - no no no no

me - 'what a bunch of wimps - try a spoonful'

them - 'well you try it first'

etc etc.

edit - witchetty grubs are excellent.   Sort of like lamb chop marrow in an inedible condom.

Edited by lencolad

Went camping years ago with a bunch of families who ate communally at night.  I made a salad and enquired if adding tinned fish was okay.  'Sure' was the reply.

Evil me had previously bought a tin of wild red salmon and a tin of black and gold cat food and swapped the labels.  As I ostentatiously opened the tin there were cries of horror.

Absolutely pi--ing myself laughing at that

:D

edit - witchetty grubs are excellent.   Sort of like lamb chop marrow in an inedible condom

Absolutely not going to ask any questions about your experience with edible condoms....

As a kid I Loved kangaroo tail soup but still cant eat kangaroo.

Had a home made pie floater last night - dash of sauce, vinegar and salt & pepper, ah! delightfull.

I like roo.

A bit tricky to cook but very tasty.

:)

Had to google "pie floater"

Figured it was a pie floating in something....but wasn't sure what..

Interesting

I seem to the only person I know that isn't perturbed by durian. The smell doesn't bother me at all - not really offensive to me. Had it quite a few times in South East Asia. Open a can of tinned tuna though, and I start to wretch. Smells foul. Raw tuna sashimi though, delicious!

I'm a complex creature.

I seem to the only person I know that isn't perturbed by durian. The smell doesn't bother me at all - not really offensive to me. Had it quite a few times in South East Asia. Open a can of tinned tuna though, and I start to wretch. Smells foul. Raw tuna sashimi though, delicious!

I'm a complex creature.

Aaaaaah Durian, sometimes referred to as smelling like raw sewage yet you don't like the tuna smell...... Someone finish this off so I don't get banned........

OK, 

i walked  down own these streets when I was in Japan last year.....

There is no way I will be trying this, has anyone in these neck of the woods tried it and  still standing be kind enough to give us you thoughts?  :P

the liver is 1200 X deadlier than cyanide.... :unsure:

http://elsewhere.nine.com.au/2016/06/29/14/28/osaka-seafood-guide

Edited by Addicted to music

Apparently it taste sooooo good. If you're licensed you can handle this fish safely. I haven't tried it due to lack of opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Pulse-R went to Japan earlier this year and NOONE would serve it.

I grew up in Malaysia. I had an uncle who had a hunting rifle and would go shoot some interesting creatures to eat. So ... i've eaten bat, wild boar, kancil (something like a miniature deer), squirrel, snake, lizard, and all sorts of wild birds. 

Needless to say, being Chinese - eating chicken feet, frog, sea cucumber, century eggs, and most of the stuff people have listed here does not faze me at all. 

And the strangest thing of all ... horsehoe crab: 

images.jpg

At times I would refuse to eat something strange. My dad would sternly say "I worked hard to put food on your plate. You are Chinese! We eat everything! So eat it!"

I ate it.