LenehanAudio at the International Hi Fi Show

Lenehan Audio

Hi Guys             Yes we will be at the show in Room 1311 with the lads from Magenta Audio. Mike Kirkham ,Tony Wong and myself will be there and Rockin.

There is an all new ML1 and a revamped ML2 . They will be driven by the stunning PS Audio BHK power amps and the equally stunning Prima Luna and Audion Power amps .

Our new LenehanAudio cables will also be there as well as our full range of Curious Cables . Orders taken at the show will be eligible for a 20% discount ! you heard it right Brudda's 20%

So if your in the market for what is obviously the worlds best USB cable or the worlds best Mini monitor ! come hither Brethren because our offer must stop dead straight after the show .       See You There Lads      Mike Lenehan

LenehanAudio

Edited by Lenehan Audio
  • Like 3

May I ask about the new cables ? :)

Hi Lindsay

there are new interconnects ! both Balanced and unbalanced ,they are called FoilFlex and new speaker cables FoilTek.   Let me start a new Topic on this as I think it needs one      Mike

Please do Mike I'm looking at speaker cables atm to compare to your/ETI Ribbontek's to get the best out of the BHK300's and my Quad2905 ESL's. The Ribbontek's sound pretty dam good to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say how great your (little red) speakers were at the HiFi show.

Felt they were a wisker better than the quads (& also my acoustat spectra 22s) and only bettered by the JBL Everest/Melody combination!!

My neo doo *** acapella music really showed them at their best.

Yes these speakers really do do mid range!!!

Congratulations on producing such a great speaker!

Bruce 

• Like 3

Felt they were a wisker better than the quads (& also my acoustat spectra 22s) and only bettered by the JBL Everest/Melody combination!!

Bruce

Hi Bruce. Many thanks , this is our latest version of the ML2. You should have heard the new little ML1 it's just as impressive.

Best Regards Mike Lenehan

• 3 weeks later...

Bruce 

Were they anything like these ones?... not that I'm a all a fanboi

post-110771-0-11623700-1469853647_thumb.

• Like 3

That's them.

What a great speaker.

Made some of the expensive big boys sound like wimps!!

No doubt about it they can deliver 'real' mid range.

Very impressive!

Bruce

• Like 1

That's them.

What a great speaker.

Made some of the expensive big boys sound like wimps!!

No doubt about it they can deliver 'real' mid range.

Very impressive!

Bruce

Small monitors do mid range superbly. How was the bass though?

My test track was only for mid range.

I was not listening, there or anywhere else at the show, for bass.

I look at it like this,

For me,

If a speaker cannot do mid range it is not worth listening to!!!

It seemed to me, as I ran my test track through maybe a dozen speakers, is that, and I quote the Lenehan guy,

"It is very difficult to do mid range".

One speaker (that I tested at the show) was better, and one marginally worse, 

AND,

The rest not within a bull's roar!!!

I reckon that if you want deep bass, maybe buy a sub but don't sacrifice the mid range!!

But that, of course, that is my personal listening preference!

I think, but am not sure, that they might have another speaker in the range that does more bass.

I would never sacrifice mid range for bass but that is just me!

Bruce

• Like 2

I didn't mention deep bass and I have zero interest in a sub . Of course mid range is critical, I do get that, or I should after so many years. Duh.

ANY speaker should be balanced and capable of portraying music in its entirety. It isn't much use if it only does midrange and dictates to the listener what kind of music they can actually listen to but WTF would I know? :unsure:

• Like 2

Sorry I mistook your bass comment to mean deep bass.

I apologise!

You know, I think that you and I are a bit unusual!

I say that based on the fact that we both appreciate mid range!!!

We both get it.

As also do the Leneham Audio folk!

When I listened to the speakers at the show most of them did a very poor mid range!

That includes some of the big name, high priced speakers!

Do the Lenehams do a good bass?

I will tell you what I think.

I would expect that a company such as Lenehan Audio that has put the effort into achieving excellent mid range would also put effort to making sure that the bass was also good!!!

I own electrostats and I can say that these speakers have electrostatic quality mid range.

I would say to anyone who appreciates the mid range and is looking for new speakers, 'have a listen to the Lenehans'.

Bruce

Lenehan speakers produce excellent bass, I'm lucky enough to own the top of the line speakers, full bodied bass down to 35hz, pretty impressive for a two way stand mount, add the beautiful mid range, nice highs and you almost have it all, unless you want to go deeper.

All my visitors can't believe the bass these speakers produce, I recently had to tame the bass after a DAC software upgrade, I found it too boomy, a slight speaker reposition and all is sweet again, tight, defined and powerful when required.

Great speakers.

• Like 1

Thanks Lads

Indeed before I started build conventional loudspeakers in the early 80's the only thing I could listen to was my stacked Quad ESL57's

In custom frames .

We fed them with a 15ips half track Crown Mastering machine and drove the Quads with a pair of custom built Allen Wright valve MonoBlocks .

Our first efforts with conventional box speakers were in fact horrible ! Just like every other box speaker I had heard in fact . After the Quads all else was trash , box speakers sounded like singing in a bathroom while holding a bucket in front of my face .

Anyway 17 years later we finally had it nailed ! Bout Frikken time ! It was in fact about everything but the speakers themselves ! That's right it was the enclosures and Xovers . That's why the little BBC LS35a had it nailed in the mids > it was all the little low energy storage box and a very advanced Xover for the day.

Enter the new ML1 !! It's a Flammin ball tearer Lads , more power in the bass and it goes slightly deeper . The mids are more resolved and faster .

The enclosure is the deadest lowest energy storage device we have produced so far ! Ahh it's about the same as the ML2Limited but it does it because it's enclosure is much smaller of course and we are now using three different thicknesses of steel plate inside the enclosure . I slip some pics of the new ML1 up on Monday and make a new thread . Regards Mike Lenehan

• Like 4

Sorry I mistook your bass comment to mean deep bass.

I apologise!

You know, I think that you and I are a bit unusual!

I say that based on the fact that we both appreciate mid range!!!

We both get it.

As also do the Leneham Audio folk!

When I listened to the speakers at the show most of them did a very poor mid range!

That includes some of the big name, high priced speakers!

Do the Lenehams do a good bass?

I will tell you what I think.

I would expect that a company such as Lenehan Audio that has put the effort into achieving excellent mid range would also put effort to making sure that the bass was also good!!!

I own electrostats and I can say that these speakers have electrostatic quality mid range.

I would say to anyone who appreciates the mid range and is looking for new speakers, 'have a listen to the Lenehans'.

Bruce

Bruce,

Having known MIke for quite a lot of years I have to say that one of the things Mike is very particular about is achieving very good bass out of each of his speakers.

Both in terms of extension and articulation.

Bear in mind that it all comes down to physics in the end so a 5.5 inch bookshelf is not going to do 20hz.

BUT... for the size of the ml1 for example the bass is spectacular.

The midrange.... well, your comments pretty much sum it up.

How many tines have I ( and others) heard MIke whilst listening to other speakers utter the immortal words " nah nah nah, no bass mate, no bass"

For those that know him well, add the appropriate vocal inflection.....

Sorry mike

• Like 3

My test track was only for mid range.

I was not listening, there or anywhere else at the show, for bass.

I look at it like this,

For me,

If a speaker cannot do mid range it is not worth listening to!!!

It seemed to me, as I ran my test track through maybe a dozen speakers, is that, and I quote the Lenehan guy,

"It is very difficult to do mid range".

One speaker (that I tested at the show) was better, and one marginally worse, 

AND,

The rest not within a bull's roar!!!

I reckon that if you want deep bass, maybe buy a sub but don't sacrifice the mid range!!

But that, of course, that is my personal listening preference!

I think, but am not sure, that they might have another speaker in the range that does more bass.

I would never sacrifice mid range for bass but that is just me!

Bruce

Want more bass?

Get the ml3 limited.

In my experience and opinion the sound staging of the ml 3 limited is better than the ml 1s ( have owned a number of the ml1s and currently have ml1 references), the midrange is better, and the bass in my room gets down to 20 - yes that is measured.

But.... they sadly do cost a wee bit more.

Worth it? Hell yea.

Cheers

Rawl

Want more bass?

Get the ml3 limited.

In my experience and opinion the sound staging of the ml 3 limited is better than the ml 1s ( have owned a number of the ml1s and currently have ml1 references), the midrange is better, and the bass in my room gets down to 20 - yes that is measured.

But.... they sadly do cost a wee bit more.

Worth it? Hell yea.

Cheers

Rawl

Yes mate the ML3's in a well integrated room can be very good . There are two functions here that can allow the ML3 to soundstage better than the ML1

1. The ML3 is made for a larger room and larger rooms usually produce a bigger soundstage. More space around the speaker also assists in making the speaker disappear.

The ML1 in the same environment on small scale material like a single acoustic guitar and vocal can be spectacular but on larger full scale program will be out of its depth . This is all to do with the bass drivers ability to move air in its first forward motion or positive going excursion . An initial pressure pulse of air is pumped forward and this is the only chance a speaker gets to control a room .

This pulse of air has a hemispherical shape and a radius ! The larger the bass drivers swept area the larger the radius of that pressure pulse and the further it pumps into the room on its first excursion . After the first pulse loads the room a second pulse is activated by the first and so on , but of course there are time delays now and the bass and subsequent sound stage is slightly depleted.

I'll continue soon I'm down to 4% battery ! Bugger I was on a roll. Regards Mike Lenehan

• Like 2

Looking forward to the foil cable thread too.

Hi Darren

My son James works full time on cables ! About 60% of his time on building Curious USB and the rest of the time is full on development work on the new FoilFlex interconnects and FoilTek speaker cables , it is definitely happening with about 20 hours per week going into them for the last 3 months.

I'll kick off a new thread when we release the first cables ,which will be interconnects ! Both RCA and XLR. Regards Mike Lenehan

• Like 1

Sorry Gentleman and Ladies.

I gave Mike a soapbox to jump on.

What have I done..........

Cmon Mike

Looking forward to the rest of your writings when you get battery back.

Ohh come on Boy ! Not me ! I'm much too humble >>> I'd prefer a stadium. YeeeeeeeeeeeHa

Ok where was I ? The ML1 has the diaphragm swept area to correctly load a room of approximately 30 to 50 cubic mtrs ! That is say 3.5 mt x 5mt x 2.4mts or thereabouts .

The ML2 will drive a room from around 45 to 85cubic mtrs or say 4.5mtrs x 6.5 x 2.5mtrs . The ML3 from around 60 to 125 cubic mtrs

As Rawl has mentioned we are developing a new 8 inch two way which will attempt to use the seas 8inch Magnesium bass driver and a seas 35mm tweeter .

The results we have obtained with Bills MagnesiumLimited with the 6inch Magnesium and Morel Neo tweeter are very incouraging .indeed.

Another thread lads ! That's what we will need for this one , Rawl is driving this new project So he will be doing a fair bit of Beta testing and listening for us . Keep listening Lads. Mike Lenehan

• Like 2