where can i buy cassette tape deck belts?

my deck while in a mint condition wouldn't play the tape. it makes that loud sound of something being engaged and then stops after trying to roll the tape for a few secs.

ffwd and rwd work fine.

guess the best thing is to take it to a tech but not too sure if i can justify the costs knowing the market value of these decks.

there is an ebay listing for the right set of belts for some $30 shipped.....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272278921556?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but was wondering if i can find one cheaper and locally??

WES Components in Sydney can supply at very competitive prices. Trouble is, you will need to know what size belts you need. Should cost less than 10 Bucks.

that's Wagner, right?

ok looks like these:

Belts:

What I found on a French audio forum (and my conversions and matching-up using the turntableneedles.com belt info):

Capstan: 251L x 5w x 0.6t = 9.9 inches long = FBM 9.9
Counter: 205L x 1w x 1t = 8.0 inches long = SBO 8.0
Sub-belt: 162L x 1.3w x 1.3t = 6.4 inches long = SBS 6.4 or perhaps a SBT 6.3

The battery in my calipers is dead, so I can't give exact thicknesses for what I pulled out of the deck - but roughly:

Capstan: 262 x 3w x < 1t = 10.3 inches long = probably a stretched FBS 9.9). Note this belt didn't ride properly centered on the motor hub ... and speed control had to be cranked all the way +ve.
Counter: 210 x <1w x <1t = 8.2 inches long = probably a stretched SBO 8.0
Sub-belt: 166L x >1w x >1t = 6.5 inches long = probably a streched SBS 6.4

What I had in the 'parts bin' that seems to work just fine:

Capstan: FBM 9.6
Counter: SBS 8.0
Sub-belt: SBS 6.2

Hope that helps those that follow.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/alpage-al-300-cassette.273994/

well the old one inside wouldn't be in the specs anyway right?

guess i will have to order from Germany then :/

When a tech looks at a deck, he/she will remove the old belt, measure it and make allowances for stretch. If the belt has disintegrated, then we would estimate belt size and select the correct belt from those in stock (I keep several hundred belts in stock). Unfortunately, it's all down to experience. It's why we techs earn the big Bucks.  :(

• Like 2

ok looks like these:

Belts:

What I found on a French audio forum (and my conversions and matching-up using the turntableneedles.com belt info):

Capstan: 251L x 5w x 0.6t = 9.9 inches long = FBM 9.9

Counter: 205L x 1w x 1t = 8.0 inches long = SBO 8.0

Sub-belt: 162L x 1.3w x 1.3t = 6.4 inches long = SBS 6.4 or perhaps a SBT 6.3

The battery in my calipers is dead, so I can't give exact thicknesses for what I pulled out of the deck - but roughly:

Capstan: 262 x 3w x < 1t = 10.3 inches long = probably a stretched FBS 9.9). Note this belt didn't ride properly centered on the motor hub ... and speed control had to be cranked all the way +ve.

Counter: 210 x <1w x <1t = 8.2 inches long = probably a stretched SBO 8.0

Sub-belt: 166L x >1w x >1t = 6.5 inches long = probably a streched SBS 6.4

What I had in the 'parts bin' that seems to work just fine:

Capstan: FBM 9.6

Counter: SBS 8.0

Sub-belt: SBS 6.2

Hope that helps those that follow.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/alpage-al-300-cassette.273994/

No one is interested in inches. mm only.

No one is interested in inches. mm only.

this is true :)

as i said above, you know the value of tape decks nowadays is even worse than older DACs. i only have a couple of tapes to play anyway. that said it love the build quality and look of this deck.

might just order the belts from eBay. thanks for your help :)

I'm in the same boat - I need belts for my Tascam 102 Mk2 cassette deck, no idea of the sizes.

Ouch at least mine was available on ebay not yours...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I have just looked at the date of the last post, but,@Zaphod Beeblebrox i have a Denon DR-F7, i took out a broken belt and measured it, it was 265mm long, the only reference to the DR-F7 was in USA,  SMC Electronics had a square belt IC=9.000", THK=0.040", 265mm = 10.4" would of the belt stretched that far or is this not the belt?, it's from a deceased estate and has sentimental value, i had one many years ago but was told the belts were no longer available?