new ML-1 any news

rantan

I hope I have not made a mistake here, but I have been told that there is a new iteration of the venerable ML- 1 speakers and I was curious if any members here have tried them or purchased them and if so, what their impressions were?

Also @@Lenehan Audio, could you advise regarding pricing?

I did look on the website but there is no indication of price and if the model pictured is the new or old model

Thank you.

Edit: could Mike also advise regarding ML-2 pricing?

Edited by rantan

You are quite right there rantan there is a new ML1 in development.  I saw one in the flesh a few weeks ago when I dropped in on Mike at the factory.  I can't answer any questions about price or availability but I can say a definite yes to the existence of the new ML1.  Different bracing, different steel plating and apparently a decent upgrade on the old model.

• Like 2

• Administrator

I think, but can't confirm they may be launching at the show in a couple of weeks. And knowing Mike he's probably frantic preparing the models for exhibition as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still very happy with my early ones, but I can imagine how awesome these new ones would be, some lucky punters there will be very soon no doubt :cool:  

I hope I have not made a mistake here, but I have been told that there is a new iteration of the venerable ML- 1 speakers and I was curious if any members here have tried them or purchased them and if so, what their impressions were?

Also @@Lenehan Audio, could you advise regarding pricing?

I did look on the website but there is no indication of price and if the model pictured is the new or old model

Thank you.

Edit: could Mike also advise regarding ML-2 pricing?

Someone thinking of an upgrade??  :)

Just went to Mike's new website - wow it is completely new  a bit weird as it does not have the MLT speakers on there?

I saw some  interesting speaker cabinets in progress when I was there a few months ago.  

Mike is always developing (and then he has members with special requests) so it is always interesting to see what is happening.

I heard the Tardis last year and they were supposed to be a "cheaper" version of the ML1, don't know what is the latest.

I do know that Mike will have speakers at the show - so maybe we should all go there and get the latest news  :) .

• Like 3

From Mike's Facefriend page "After 11 strong years and sales across the globe, it's time to update the ML1 loudspeaker. We'll be debuting an all new ML1 at this year's Australian HiFi Show. We're very pleased to be partnering with PS Audio in Room 1311. More info:" but this was posted on the 25th of January so .......................................

• Like 1

You are quite right there rantan there is a new ML1 in development.  I saw one in the flesh a few weeks ago when I dropped in on Mike at the factory.  I can't answer any questions about price or availability but I can say a definite yes to the existence of the new ML1.  Different bracing, different steel plating and apparently a decent upgrade on the old model.

Most definitely.

I heard it at a GTG a while back.

They are a big improvement IMHO.

But I hate to say it, the new Magnesium Limited were simply - amazing.  Much more expensive of course, but once heard you cant go back.  Halfway between the size of the ML1's and ML2 yet with equally as good bass.  

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Lads     

yes indeed there is a new ML1 ! and I can report that it is a very significant advancement over the original model.

The original ML1 commenced life in 2004 so it was an ageing platform , even so I don't think there is any mini monitor still  that can match it ! The basic design was steadily upgraded throughout it's life but of course reached a point where any further improvements required a new design .

The only thing that has not changed is the drivers !! Yes Yes I can hear the audio Jewellery desperates now !! Aww Mike ya shoulda used some HIGH end drivers this time ! Ya know like Scanspeak Revelator woofers and diamonds tweety's .

The fact is these are still the best drivers I can find for the ML1, it's the rest of the package that really needed the upgrades .

I'm going continue this tomorrow I'm flaming shagged Lads ! I'll run  through the rest of the design in more detail      Regards Mike Lenehan 

• Like 4

Given that you're still using the same drivers, I take it you aren't as seduced by the Morel magnesium drivers as Bill?

I must say i'd be surprised if they are a better *all round* solution than your existing drivers - speed and detail isn't everything, and the Peerless HDS are very well behaved, producing exceptional tonal neutrality and accuracy in your designs (and let's face it - plenty of speed and detail anyway).

• Like 1

Given that you're still using the same drivers, I take it you aren't as seduced by the Morel magnesium drivers as Bill?

I must say i'd be surprised if they are a better *all round* solution than your existing drivers - speed and detail isn't everything, and the Peerless HDS are very well behaved, producing exceptional tonal neutrality and accuracy in your designs (and let's face it - plenty of speed and detail anyway).

Hi Lee. I slipped a response on the Magnesiums over to the Magnesium Limited thread but you are basically correct re the Nomex Drivers used in the ML series .

Very tough nuts to crack indeed,I tried three other bass drivers in the new ML1 . The Scanspeak Revelator ,The Papyrus diaphragm SB Acoustics and the Wavecore 152 . None of these had a chance in Hades of matching what the current ML1 Peerless Nomex bass driver could do in the midrange !

Having said all this it is probable ( not definite yet though ) that the Magnesiums will exceed the overall abilities of the Nomex Drivers ! Albeit at significant expense > there Ya go for those of you that are snobby audio jewellery pride of ownership audio Dweebs Mike is finally going to supply some Pride of Ownership quotient to his designs by incorporating a , Ta Da > HIGH END DRIVER in one of his designs

Regards Mike Lenehan

Edited by Lenehan Audio
  • Like 2

I'll be patient and wait for your next big floor stander thumpers Mr lenehan. Hope all is good for you and yours.

Hi Darren

There is a new 8 inch two way but it's just begun development ! This will be another thread mate and I hope to kick it off soon

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Darren

There is a new 8 inch two way but it's just begun development ! This will be another thread mate and I hope to kick it off soon

Mike

Darren,

This time I am the guilty party undertaking this with MIke.

Give Bhobba a breather for a while on pushing new development.

MIke and I have had significant conversations around the driver choice for this 8 inch 2 way which is very similar to the ML3 limited but aiming to take what the current ML3 limited does and add more.

I guess you could say that I ( and therefore we) am aiming for the speed and transparency of electrostats but maintaining/extending the beautiful natural timbre and tone of my existing ml3 limiteds and the wonderful way the bass is integrated as part of the musical reproduction. Integrating the bass with stats is a very trying thing to achieve.

Sounds easy when you say it fast!!!

10 minute job to design these Mike said.

MIke. You reckon that sorta covers the design objectives??

• Like 3

Very well Lads I shall continue with the general description of the New ML1

Starting with the Xovers , we are still using Quasi third order low pass and Quasi second order high pass. The actual circuit is new because of the new shape baffle .

Driver integration is superior to the older speaker with an even deeper anti phase response evident at the Xover frequency.

We have also added our new solid copper driver screws which sound better again to the brass screws we were using in the earlier speaker.

Ok the enclosure ! This is totally new and looks like a mini ML2 . There are two big upgrades in the new speaker that really define its superior performance . Firstly the baffle is now nonlinear in shape ! By this I mean it is faceted and not square rectangular like the old speaker.

In technical terms it means that the half space to full space transition or response step doesn't give the drivers an abrupt shock as the combined wavelength of sound which is defined by the baffle width and height is reached ( usually in a mini monitor this is around 1300 to 1600hz )

In the New ML1 the faceting has been designed so as to smooth this transition by offering the signal an array of step frequencies to mask this otherwise audible phenomena . Whew ! Ok wake up I can see you going to sleep over there in the corner.

Right onto the inside of the enclosure ! There is now Silicone filled Copper Tube differential bracing replacing the earlier 25mm hardwood dowel . This new bracing has a good youngs modulous impedance fit with the surrounding steel plated MDF enclosure >> AKA the enclosure has less energy storage .

The enclosure shell !

The original ML1 used an 18mm WR grade MDF enclosure shell with 3mm steel plate on the sidewalls and top . The new speaker uses a 16mm WR grade MDF shell with 25mm WR grade Baffle .

The internal steel plate bracing is now 3mm , 4mm and 6mm ! These are used in different areas inside the enclosure which were identified by accelerometer testing .

Internal volume is now also 0.83ltrs larger which in concert with altered internal damping and port retuning enables the new speaker to hit a touch harder in the bass and also go about 5 hz deeper.

What is the difference in sound between the original ML1and the new speaker ? Clarity and speed ! Even after removing a pair of our latest ML2Reference from the stands this feeling remains ! I'm just left grinning and smilin like a Cheshire Puddy Tat .

Looks like the new ML1 will kick in at $3800 ML1PlusR at $4400 per pair . The Reference will be another story as the enclosure will be all out and the Xover will probably run 10awg wire and some new crazy internal wiring we are fooling with .

Best Regards Mike Lenehan

• Like 4

Having said all this it is probable ( not definite yet though ) that the Magnesiums will exceed the overall abilities of the Nomex Drivers

By expense Mike doesn't mean just the cost of the driver - they are more expensive but not hugely so - they are a real challenge to get right.

George Short is one of the best crossover experts on the planet - read the issues he had:

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Pegasus/Pegasus.htm

'Eventually it came to me that the problem with the W18’s upper midrange is a two edged sword. The mechanical break up of the cone is a high Q mechanical resonance. The "low pass network plus trap" approach creates a second high Q resonance. The problem, then, is that there are two high Q resonances in the electrical/mechanical/acoustic system right in the middle of the range where the ear (at least mine) is most sensitive.'

George solved it by using high slopes on the crossover - which has issues.  Mike by carefull hand tuning of the trap - which makes building the speakers a lot harder.

Thanks

Bill

Darren,

This time I am the guilty party undertaking this with MIke.

Give Bhobba a breather for a while on pushing new development.

MIke and I have had significant conversations around the driver choice for this 8 inch 2 way which is very similar to the ML3 limited but aiming to take what the current ML3 limited does and add more.

I guess you could say that I ( and therefore we) am aiming for the speed and transparency of electrostats but maintaining/extending the beautiful natural timbre and tone of my existing ml3 limiteds and the wonderful way the bass is integrated as part of the musical reproduction. Integrating the bass with stats is a very trying thing to achieve.

Sounds easy when you say it fast!!!

10 minute job to design these Mike said.

MIke. You reckon that sorta covers the design objectives??

Hi Craig

You have let da Puddy Tat out of da bag ! Let me just say that Craig Bill and I had a bit of a listening sesh at my factory a couple of weeks ago will the new Magnesium Limited !! Holy snappin !! The potential is huge , we all looked at each other and bloody well knew din we .

Currently this is just potential but Rawl99 is going to take a punt and run with an 8inch Magnesium bass driver and an as yet undisclosed tweeter in his new ML3's (if that's what we call them ). Nuther thread cumin up. Regards Mike Lenehan

• Like 3

Sorry Lads. Here's a few pics ! I'll post some better ones when I do a full on photo sesh!

You will be able to see and hear the new ML1 at the International HiFi show on the 1st July in Melbourne! We will be sharing a room with Magenta Audio .
Orders taken at the show only will enable a 20% discount as a once only offer . If your even thinking about a new speaker get there Brudda's. It definitely won't be able to happen after the show release
Regards Mike Lenehan

post-106822-0-60649900-1466225969_thumb.

Edited by Lenehan Audio
  • Like 11

I really like the new multi faceted look. It gives a lot of character even though the real rewards are in far better SQ. Aesthetics are still important to  many people so it seems like a win-win here

I assume these have dedicated stands but can also be used on other good quality rigid stands?