closed back headphones

Guest JohnA

Guest JohnA

Ok guys you were all a great help when picking my main headphone rig and now i want to add a pair of closed back headphones.

there are times when the missus will have the tv on a little loud and i find i have to turn the volume up on the he-1000's to block it out.

Of course i am not looking at spending as much on the closed back ones, but still want something very good.

headamp in use is the moon 430 had

up to $2k max i would say

Guest JohnA

cheers Chris, one other thing, are they comfy that you can keep them on your head for hours on end.

I have tried a few that felt like they would squeeze my head in 

Beyer t5p v2;

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/beyerdynamic-t5p-2nd-gen-portable-audiophile-headphones

Own a pair of these currently, quite easy to drive off a portable, very nice sound with good detail and decent bass, very comfortable also. Price currently is good.

Other closed options I have heard and like in order are;

Audeze lcd xc (would need second hand to come in under budget, but this limited model looks good !);

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/audeze-lcd-xc-limited-ed-bocote-closed-back-reference-headphones

Fostex 900 v2

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/fostex-th-900mk2-closed-audiophile-headphones

Mrspeakers Ether;

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/mrspeakers-ether-c-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone-w-dum-cable

Mr Speakers Ether C might be worth considering.

Or Fostex TH-900.

Or ZMF Omni.

Might stretch that 2k budget a tad though.

And having said that, I haven't heard any of the above. 😃

But they all get good reviews.

Edited by soundfan

Just get a TH900. You can get the original versions for $1.3 from PriceJapan.

This guy basically gushes over those:

If he goes down the TH900 route, he may want to consider the Mk2 for optional balanced connection down the line.

Edited by Munce31

For me, most of closed phones have incorrect timbre, which can be quite annoying in listening to acoustic instruments and vocal. Some have plasticy, hard timbre, and the worst have metallic timbre.

So far, only th-x00 and ether c sound close to have correct timbre for me. If timbre is not a priority, th900 and audeze sine are also nice phone.

That's why it's best to audition them :-)

• Like 1

For me, most of closed phones have incorrect timbre, which can be quite annoying in listening to acoustic instruments and vocal. Some have plasticy, hard timbre, and the worst have metallic timbre.

So far, only th-x00 and ether c sound close to have correct timbre for me. If timbre is not a priority, th900 and audeze sine are also nice phone.

That's why it's best to audition them :-)

Yep indeed a problem. Probably the only closed headphones that don't really have it is the L3000, CD3k and the bass light R10.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Edited by liteneasy

Guest JohnA

thanks guys, some great info

looking at all the options, and dont mind if i have to spend a little more.

will put a short list together and pay a2a another visit soon

I have Final Audio Sonorous III closed cans. Cost $549, and addictedtoaudio in Melbourne stock them. Love mine.

Yes. Really nice headphones

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

CLOSED BACK HEADPHONE EXPERIENCE:

For my closed back headphones I'm using the Final Audio Sonorous VI (used to be called the Pandora VI until they got into trademark issues with Pandora radio) and the Fostex Massdrop THX-00.  I've also got some B&W's which i never listen to anymore.  They are just not in the race.

Have also heard the Audeze XC, Fostex Th-900 Mark 1 and briefly the Mark 2, the Ether C, Sonorous III and VIII and X ($6499).

I really love my THX-00 after basic mods were done (too resonant and small sounding stock with cloudy top end).  Ended up sounding similar after mods to the XC but with greater clarity, dynamics and more percussive bass but similar slightly dark and timbral tone.  Really good soundstage once modified.  Stock a little closed in.

Finals i've really enjoyed.  Very direct sounding with great clarity.  Really good on percussion and late 20th Century style music (like George Crumb, Philip Glass and the like). Can sound a little small and analytical.  Great at initial transient but less good on decay.

Ether C sounded really fantastic.  Maybe a smaller soundstage but didn't listen for too long so I haven't made up my mind yet.

Fostex TH-900 MKi and MKII.  The two models sounded basically the same to me.  Fantastic bass.  Deep, tight and great dynamics.  Sounded a little relentless though.

Final Audio.  The new III has the same diaphragm and slightly smaller magnet in a plastic vs metal housing used in the way dearer VIII and X.  All have a similar sound with the VIII and X offering greater refinement but you can tell they share the same basic technology.  Some people love them, some don't.  The III is incredible value at the price it sells for and scales pretty well.  Got a superb review on 6moons recently which really put the cat amongst the pigeons.  Still haven't decided if i like them enough to get them.  The X was really fantastic on classical.

Headphones polarise people way more than speakers it seems (maybe its because they are so close to the ears? 

I put on my closed backs when i want a more forgiving rendition of the recording and when playing 80's music.  My modified THX-00's are just fantastic at filling that brief.  

My thoughts above are purely subjective and totally related to my experience and with my setup.  Maybe a different setup may give totally different results?  Although some of the headphones listed above were heard on a range of amps and seemed to correlate with my experience with my gear.

Apart from the THX-00 (a much cheaper but not necessarily less valid option) The Sonorous VIII and the TH-900 MKII would be the two i would probably audition more carefully.  The Sonorous driver is based on a compression driver type diaphragm design (Titanium) and the TH-900 uses a lovely bio cellulose driver which is very similar to the THX-00 (save for the magnet size).  

Hope my rambling has been of some interest.

LPG

• Like 2

@@JohnA - Is isolation important for you i.e. cans that don't leak sound? The reason I ask is that the TH900's by all accounts leak a lot with many suggesting they are more semi-open than fully closed. I used to own a pair of LCD-XC's, and while I definately enjoyed the Audeze house sound their comfort and lack of isolation proved a deal breaker. Like you I needed a headphone to listen to while my wife watched TV. I've got a pair of Ether C's on the way. I picked the Ether specifically because they were part of the TOTL cohort of closed cans that reportedly isolate well.  

Guest JohnA

@@JohnA - Is isolation important for you i.e. cans that don't leak sound? The reason I ask is that the TH900's by all accounts leak a lot with many suggesting they are more semi-open than fully closed. I used to own a pair of LCD-XC's, and while I definately enjoyed the Audeze house sound their comfort and lack of isolation proved a deal breaker. Like you I needed a headphone to listen to while my wife watched TV. I've got a pair of Ether C's on the way. I picked the Ether specifically because they were part of the TOTL cohort of closed cans that reportedly isolate well.  

im not too fussed if they leak sound out, more important is they block external noises :)

Family hasnt complained yet about the he1000's when i am listening to them whilst they are watching tv.

comfort is also a very high priority

ether c's are on my to listen list for sure

thanks for the advice @@Galactic Soap :thumb:

At the price point you are looking at the P7 and Oppo PM1, 2 and 3 aren't regarded as being quite at the same level as some of the others listed above.  The PM3 are the closed back ones.  

Theres a guy who mods the PM 1 and PM 2 and with the mods they are supposed to be really awesome (but they are open backed) But if weight is an issue they get Audeze heavy which may be a problem for long hours of listening.  Not sure if they offer mods for the PM3.

I had read that the Ether C has slightly weak bass but i didn't notice that when i heard them briefly.

On Headfonics this is an interesting read (although its two years old it does talk about the sound of the TH900 and some other closed back phones:

http://headfonics.com/2014/08/12-flagship-headphones-compared-the-totl-guide/

LPG

• Like 1

Guest JohnA

nope, prefer my 1000's will do a more extended listen tomorrow as i have the day off and some time up my sleeve, but think i may be sticking with my 1000's and moving the headphone rig to another room

Different headphones reproduce different sound signatures

Just like cars they all display a deferent flavour

So I would like to ask the preference of your music style, as this will determine the best match in headphones for you

Guest JohnA

Different headphones reproduce different sound signatures

Just like cars they all display a deferent flavour

So I would like to ask the preference of your music style, as this will determine the best match in headphones for you

elctronica, dance, hip hop, jazz, blues, rock, alternative, indie, country, pop, reggae, vocal

almost everything but classical