New Mini DSP 2X4HD

23 minutes ago, andyr said:

As well as the SNR issue which Dave mentioned, there were reports a few years ago that 2x4s put a loud transient through your amps when you switched them off.

Old ones do.  Yes.

I believe this issue was then solved via an update to the 'plug-in' software.  Certainly my 10x10HD does not make any evil noises if I accidentally turn it off before turning the amps off.  :thumb:

It's all models.   One of my oldest 10x10s do.... which is especially problematic as I sometimes have the connected directly to compression drivers with no series capacitor  :-S

A substantial improvement on the previous setup, where a preamp fed the analogue inputs of the miniDSP unit (using the 48kHz 8x8 plug-in).

One should ALWAYS feed a device like this with a strong analogue signal.     Using a preamp before an A to D converter  (to send it a reduced input signal) is a big no-no for performance - but you see it done/recommended quite a lot.     It would be much better to send in a full analog signal, and use the internal digital volume to output the reduced volume signal.      Or if needed (if that still doesn't get it there) like you're doing outputting a full sized analogue signal from the DSP, and then using a multichannel volume control.

Guest Peter the Greek

Excellent discussion, thank you all.

So it seems the DDRC-88A  is the way to go then. Gives me FIR and I can play with Dirac and see what all the fuss is about. Any reason not to get it?

In saying that, the new 2x4 model might be more advanced? Dirac aside

1 minute ago, Peter the Greek said:

Excellent discussion, thank you all.

So it seems the DDRC-88A  is the way to go then. Gives me FIR and I can play with Dirac and see what all the fuss is about. Any reason not to get it?

In saying that, the new 2x4 model might be more advanced? Dirac aside

For your theatre setup right? As opposed to a stereo

Guest Peter the Greek
2 minutes ago, Happy said:

For your theatre setup right? As opposed to a stereo

Eventually the multi channel yes. Right now just 2 x 2-way speakers and one or two subs. So I need a minimum of 5 channels

2 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Eventually the multi channel yes. Right now just 2 x 2-way speakers and one or two subs. So I need a minimum of 5 channels

If you’re doing a multi channel stereo (ie multi way stereo speakers plus subs) then I’d recommend ddrc 22d. 88a is primarily for surround speakers i think.

36 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Are you sure PtG?  :)

If you are actively bi-amping those 2-way speakers then, yes, you need 5 channels - or 6 if you have 2 subs.

But if you are driving your 2-way speakers with a stereo amp (ie. 1 amplifier channel each speaker) ... then you only need 4x output channels, with 2 subs (so the 2x4HD gives a HP filter for each 2-way and a LP filter for each sub).

Andy

Guest Peter the Greek
5 minutes ago, andyr said:

Are you sure PtG?  :)

If you are actively bi-amping those 2-way speakers then, yes, you need 5 channels - or 6 if you have 2 subs.

But if you are driving your 2-way speakers with a stereo amp (ie. 1 amplifier channel each speaker) ... then you only need 4x output channels, with 2 subs (so the 2x4HD gives a HP filter for each 2-way and a LP filter for each sub).

Andy

Yep, they're fully active. 1 channel per driver so 4 for the monitors plus any subs

Guest Peter the Greek
5 hours ago, Happy said:

If you’re doing a multi channel stereo (ie multi way stereo speakers plus subs) then I’d recommend ddrc 22d. 88a is primarily for surround speakers i think.

I should have said the system was fully active per comments with Andy, so I need something like the 4x10 or 8x8. That was my understanding at any rate. I wanted to at least have the option for FIR, so wanted to make sure it was available, otherwise I'd just get a bunch of the 2x4hd's. I figure Dirac is pretty well liked, so worth at least trying

image.thumb.png.59720a3b6edc3ef14d3322b94ce044e4.png

Guest Peter the Greek

LOL, Found my wife's near 20 year old laptop. I'll be buggered, it works! No need for new dsps for a while....going to get me a usb mic though, screw stuffing around with sound cards and the like.PSX_20180904_175629.thumb.jpg.679d86aee64bb9739e307ff97de4c53c.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 03/09/2018 at 1:15 PM, andyr said:

This is the way I now run my 10x10HD.  I use the (96kHz) 4x10 plug-in and feed into the digital input.  The 8 analogue outputs then go into a 'RelaiXed' 8-channel, digitally-controlled, analogue volume control ... before going to the 8 amplifier channels.

A substantial improvement on the previous setup, where a preamp fed the analogue inputs of the miniDSP unit (using the 48kHz 8x8 plug-in).

Andy

Andy, where did you get the 8 channel RelaiXed volume control from? I want to do something like this but with the DDRC-88A/BM.

Cheers

Mitch

4 minutes ago, Compass said:

Andy, where did you get the 8 channel RelaiXed volume control from? I want to do something like this but with the DDRC-88A/BM.

Cheers

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I'll PM you Jos's email address.

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 year later...