New Mini DSP 2X4HD

Looks like Mini DSP has launched an update of the 2X4:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

Looks like it has Toslink and USB streaming input, it will be interesting to see how it sounds. It will be nice to be able to eliminate another A/D/A conversion.

Regards,

SS

From their website:

"Introducing the long-awaited “reboot†of miniDSP’s best-selling 2x4 digital audio processor: the miniDSP 2x4 HD! This tiny powerhouse is jam-packed with miniDSP’s tried and proven audio processing functionality: flexible para-metric EQ, Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley crossovers, advanced biquad pro-gramming, and delay on each output channel. miniDSP’s “one hardware many plugins†concept allows for many interesting future applications!

The upgraded on-board 400 MHz Analog Devices SHARC processor also ena-bles substantial processing upgrades previously available only on more ex-pensive platforms, such as 96 kHz internal processing for true high-resolution audio capability and assignable FIR filter taps for sophisticated equalization, crossover, and room correction capabilities. All to be accessed and programmed with miniDSP’s easy-to-use interface software.

I/O capabilities get an upgrade too, with the addition of USB audio streaming up to 192 kHz and a TOSLINK digital input. The miniDSP 2x4 HD will find application in full-sized hifi and home theater systems, on desktops, in cars, in recording studios — anywhere a compact, simple, yet surprisingly powerful DSP audio processor is needed.

Features
â—¦ADSP12489 400MHz Sharc DSP floating point engine
â—¦XMOS Xcore200 for USB control and bidirectional audio streaming
â—¦24 bit ADC/DAC resolution
â—¦Unbalanced inputs switchable with a jumper between 4Vrms and 2Vrms
â—¦Toslink digital input
â—¦Unbalanced outputs: Max 2Vrms
â—¦USB Audio Class 2 Bidirectional streaming with ASIO drivers, driverless under MAC OSx
â—¦4 preset configuration, recallable via IR, Software
â—¦Plug&Play USB driver and real time Software configuration using miniDSP plug-ins
â—¦Device does not required a PC once configured
â—¦External single 12V supply"

• Like 2

So Would this device help me integrate two subs into my system?

Yes, but you would need access to a measurement mic to set it up properly. There are a number of crossover and eq options on the MiniDSP, and if the subs are suitable you could even stretch the bottom end extension a little. A high pass to the mains would also be possible. A pre-out on the amp would be nice, unless you have a dedicated preamp.

Regards,

SS

• Like 1

A fair bit more leeway with the channel delays in this updated version which should make time aligning subs and main speakers easier for 2 channel systems.

I havent puzzled my way to making it work how i would like in my HT/2ch setup yet so i am sitting on the fence at this stage.

Still waiting for them to write a decent tutorial on how to use the plug ins and REW on the current mini dsp.

Features sound good on the HD, IR remote and being able to connect direct to the digital source.

• Like 1

I gave up and just bought the Dirac Live device lol

Cheater!

$600! just for the software.

Can just do the measurements and get someone on their forum to fix it for me. Would be nice to know how to do it myself though.

Cheater!

$600! just for the software.

Can just do the measurements and get someone on their forum to fix it for me. Would be nice to know how to do it myself though.

Apparently the filters in the current one works for low notes only as far as DRC is concerned anyway.

The low notes DRC can be done pretty easily following their tutorial.

The device (around $1k+ mark I think) comes with the software....you just need to jump when there's a used unit available on the market.

OpenDRC device is a lot cheaper though.

I gave up and just bought the Dirac Live device lol

I downloaded the REW user manual and my god the lack of continuity is mind boggling. My Umik USB mike sits in the draw waiting to be used. When I get a spare 10 days, six jars of coffee and a computer degree I might try again.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MiniDSP 2x4 plus Dayton Omnimic works well for me, and I'm not the most literate when it comes to computers.

I have the HDMI version of the mini dsp and the umik mike worked great initially but implementing it was a pain in the a...

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MiniDSP 2x4 plus Dayton Omnimic works well for me, and I'm not the most literate when it comes to computers.

What do you actually do with it though? I doubt you can implement a full scale DRC with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you actually do with it though? I doubt you can implement a full scale DRC with it?

You can do absolutely anything with it....   it just doesn't automagically implement the filters for you like a diraclive or deqx does.

The software REW, can do a very basic  "EQ this measurement to flat"  automation for you, but really it isn't enough to design a speaker or any sophisticated room correction beyond flattening out the bass.

... but there's plenty of other software which can help you design all types of filters which you can load into the MiniDSP.

You can do absolutely anything with it....   it just doesn't automagically implement the filters for you like a diraclive or deqx does.

The software REW, can do a very basic  "EQ this measurement to flat"  automation for you, but really it isn't enough to design a speaker or any sophisticated room correction beyond flattening out the bass.

... but there's plenty of other software which can help you design all types of filters which you can load into the MiniDSP.

Well this was what was told to me by them:

'REW will provide equalization for mostly low frequency (what IIR are good for). If you want full range room correction, then FIR powered filters would be the way to go. The 2×8 does “not†support FIR filter I’m afraid. '

Well this was what was told to me by them:

'REW will provide equalization for mostly low frequency (what IIR are good for). If you want full range room correction, then FIR powered filters would be the way to go. The 2×8 does “not†support FIR filter I’m afraid. '

The new 2x4HD does allow FIR

It has an IR receiver so you can switch sources remotely and I guess digital volume, but will you be able to adjust the volume on the analog source with remote?

How good would the DAC be? Is there a way of improving it or running a better one through the toslink?

Just wondering if I could do away with a analog preamp and run my 2 sources (turntable and squeeze box) direct.

Pity the cords come in at the front to, makes it hard to set up, guess I could make a box and reroute the leads to the back.

It has an IR receiver so you can switch sources remotely and I guess digital volume, but will you be able to adjust the volume on the analog source with remote?

How good would the DAC be? Is there a way of improving it or running a better one through the toslink?

Just wondering if I could do away with a analog preamp and run my 2 sources (turntable and squeeze box) direct.

Pity the cords come in at the front to, makes it hard to set up, guess I could make a box and reroute the leads to the back.

You can do that now already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk