Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
thathifiguy

Vincent SV-237 Hybrid Amplifier

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

 

Just received my NOS Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plate tube to replace the stock Chinese made 12AX7 in the front window.

 

I figured I would take a few shots of the internals while I was at it.

 

This is a pretty impressive looking unit for the asking price, or at least I think so.

 

post-147252-0-34374800-1464859610_thumb.

post-147252-0-85765800-1464859634_thumb.

post-147252-0-80195800-1464859661_thumb.

post-147252-0-87053200-1464859691_thumb.

post-147252-0-52829100-1464859710_thumb.

post-147252-0-17263200-1464859730_thumb.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm big fan of the Vincent amps, I noticed a distinct improvement in the mid section when I changed the tubes. What are your impressions of the new tubes and where did you get the NOS from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm big fan of the Vincent amps, I noticed a distinct improvement in the mid section when I changed the tubes. What are your impressions of the new tubes and where did you get the NOS from?

 

I bought them from eBay seller N7RK. He runs http://www.arizonatubesupply.com, very pleasant to deal with. 

 

So far, just replacing that single tube (still eyeing off NOS 6N1P-EV) I would say the mid range is far less grainy (not that it felt grainy to begin with) and the sound seems far more dynamic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If want a bigger improvement to the low end spectrum for bass, you can remove those 4 10000uf Rubycon filter capacitors and bump them up to 18000uf no problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hifiguy,

 

I was hoping you might help me with tube rolling challenges with the Vincent  sv 237.

Haven't yet had difficulty with the tube as I'm still having trouble with the top cover plate. Was wondering if the hex keys are imperial rather than metric? Metric seems to fit but slips when using enough force to turn the screw and I'd hate to strip it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks, Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, djmt said:

Hifiguy,

 

I was hoping you might help me with tube rolling challenges with the Vincent  sv 237.

Haven't yet had difficulty with the tube as I'm still having trouble with the top cover plate. Was wondering if the hex keys are imperial rather than metric? Metric seems to fit but slips when using enough force to turn the screw and I'd hate to strip it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, I no longer own the amp as I upgraded to a Vincent pre/power combo.

 

I don't recall any difficulty though, I just have a Stanley driver kit I picked up from Bunnings, I just used that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djmt said:

Hifiguy,

 

I was hoping you might help me with tube rolling challenges with the Vincent  sv 237.

Haven't yet had difficulty with the tube as I'm still having trouble with the top cover plate. Was wondering if the hex keys are imperial rather than metric? Metric seems to fit but slips when using enough force to turn the screw and I'd hate to strip it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

 

Be careful with the screws. Although not familiar with the SV237, I stripped the screws on my SA-T8 Pre.. What a pain getting them out with Ezy-Out. They are either cheap Chinese rubbish or I did read that you need a Torque Driver to get them out? Rolling the Tubes in the SA-T8 made a pretty big jump in performance, but an even bigger upgrade was getting rid of 12 Wima Caps in the critical path and replacing with various Mundorf Caps. I'd strongly advise doing this if possible (room could be an issue). The SA-T8 went from "Giant-killer" as stock, easily competing or surpassing Pre's twice it's RRP, to "Slayer of All", competing or surpassing Pre's 3 or 4 times it's RRP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thathifiguy said:

Hi Mike, I no longer own the amp as I upgraded to a Vincent pre/power combo.

 

I don't recall any difficulty though, I just have a Stanley driver kit I picked up from Bunnings, I just used that.

 

 

Thanks for the quick response. I'll hit Bunnings tomorrow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


46 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

Hi Mike,

 

Be careful with the screws. Although not familiar with the SV237, I stripped the screws on my SA-T8 Pre.. What a pain getting them out with Ezy-Out. They are either cheap Chinese rubbish or I did read that you need a Torque Driver to get them out? Rolling the Tubes in the SA-T8 made a pretty big jump in performance, but an even bigger upgrade was getting rid of 12 Wima Caps in the critical path and replacing with various Mundorf Caps. I'd strongly advise doing this if possible (room could be an issue). The SA-T8 went from "Giant-killer" as stock, easily competing or surpassing Pre's twice it's RRP, to "Slayer of All", competing or surpassing Pre's 3 or 4 times it's RRP.

I'll give it one more go after a trip to Bunnings. Thanks for the warning. I won't push my luck too far.

Edited by djmt
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, djmt said:

I'll give it one more go after a trip to Bunnings. Thanks for the warning. I won't push my luck too far.

I don’t recall any issues with the 237, however I did roll the stock tube on my PHO-701 and remember the screws being ridiculously tight and frustrating to remove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

I don’t recall any issues with the 237, however I did roll the stock tube on my PHO-701 and remember the screws being ridiculously tight and frustrating to remove.

Somewhere in a production line I hear a Chinese worker laughing😤

Edited by djmt
?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, djmt said:

Somewhere in a production line I hear a Chinese worker laughing😤

No doubt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 13/06/2018 at 8:12 PM, initforthemusic said:

Hi Mike,

 

Be careful with the screws. Although not familiar with the SV237, I stripped the screws on my SA-T8 Pre.. What a pain getting them out with Ezy-Out. They are either cheap Chinese rubbish or I did read that you need a Torque Driver to get them out? Rolling the Tubes in the SA-T8 made a pretty big jump in performance, but an even bigger upgrade was getting rid of 12 Wima Caps in the critical path and replacing with various Mundorf Caps. I'd strongly advise doing this if possible (room could be an issue). The SA-T8 went from "Giant-killer" as stock, easily competing or surpassing Pre's twice it's RRP, to "Slayer of All", competing or surpassing Pre's 3 or 4 times it's RRP.

What tubes did you try and how did it change the sound. How many caps did you have to change, and where did you purchase the Mundorf's from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

am Having 237 Mk new and wish to change tubes for betterment.

which brand tube is better.

can we feel big change in sound quality after changing the tubes.

pls reply

pradeep george

Edited by Pradeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pradeep said:

Hi

am Having 237 Mk new and wish to change tubes for betterment.

which brand tube is better.

can we feel big change in sound quality after changing the tubes.

pls reply

pradeep george

I replaced just the 12AX7 with a NOS Telefunken and it brought a good improvement.

 

The SV237 sounds excellent even with the stock tube, but the upgraded 12AX7 just took it even further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 13/06/2018 at 6:50 PM, djmt said:

Hifiguy,

 

I was hoping you might help me with tube rolling challenges with the Vincent  sv 237.

Haven't yet had difficulty with the tube as I'm still having trouble with the top cover plate. Was wondering if the hex keys are imperial rather than metric? Metric seems to fit but slips when using enough force to turn the screw and I'd hate to strip it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks, Mike

 

Vincent is German, is it not?  As such, they would use metric - not imperial.

 

Are you sure they aren't 'torx' bolts?

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That they were Andy. Due to 66 year old eyes I now have every type of wrench known to man. The Gold Lion did make an improvement though.

2 hours ago, andyr said:

 

Vincent is German, is it not?  As such, they would use metric - not imperial.

 

Are you sure they aren't 'torx' bolts?

 

Andy

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, djmt said:

That they were Andy. Due to 66 year old eyes I now have every type of wrench known to man.

 

Great to hear that, djmt.  Yes, I agree - my 69 year old eyes leave a lot to be desired!  :(  Buy yourself a light / magnifier headband!  :)

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2016 at 12:24 PM, liteneasy said:

If want a bigger improvement to the low end spectrum for bass, you can remove those 4 10000uf Rubycon filter capacitors and bump them up to 18000uf no problems.

@liteneasy do you know if such a mod is possible on the sv-236 mkII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By LachlanJM
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Hurstville Grove 2220 State: New South Wales Payment Method: COD Reason for selling: Upgraded Further information:  Onkyo's flagship amplifier. Excellent condition, 3 years old. Selling because of an upgrade. Pickup only as I can't find the box anymore.
       
      Photos:
       
      PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved



    • By Masseey
      Item:Musical Fidelity M6 500i
      Price Range: depending on condition
      Item Condition: New or demo
      Extra Info: looking for
      Musical Fidelity M6 500i integrated amplifier
       
      Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By Masseey
      Hi Guys
       
      What will be the best power amplifier /integrated amplifier to choose in the musical fidelity between $5000 - $7000?
       
       
      Does pre-pro has advantage over MF integrated?
       
      Thanks in advance
       
      Is new series of MF is going to be coming soon?
       
       
       
    • By Gregory13
      Item Condition: Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Roselands State: New South Wales Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Looking for funds to upgrade Further information: Purchased 1 year ago from Addicted to Audio. 1st and only owner. Best way to describe the condition is I can pack it back up in the original box and and sell it as brand new, it's that perfect. The photos can be deceiving but it's just the dust that makes it appear as dirty or with marks. It has been paired with a Schiit Yggdrasil Amplifier. At this price point, I am yet to find a better headphone amplifier, and believe me, I've tried lots of them. It comes with all the original paperwork, the original box and the original power cable which is still brand new (I used another power cable). This is an incredible headphone amplifier and I can assure you, you will not be disappointed, not to mention that this amp is very rarely listed privately and for a good price. I am open to reasonable offers but please, no low balls. If any more information is required please send me a message, I usually respond very quickly. Thank you. 
      Photos: 
    • By heathygeorge
      I've inherited a pair of Jamo 707i floor standing speakers (in black).
      I'm looking for a second hand amplifier that will handle them, from what I understand they're a little power hungry!
      Details below from Hifi Review:
      "Parameters specifications module of input impedance are quite loyal load for the amplifier: average is 8.6 Ohm, nominal impedance is 3.5 Ohm, standard deviation is +/-3,2 Ohm, maximum is (2 kHz) 16 Om. The setting's frequency of the resonator is 55 Hz. Rated power is 200 W, a valid short-term exposure is to 280 watts. The average sensitivity in the range of 100 Hz - 20 kHz, according to our estimates is very decent - 89 dB."
       
      Trying to understand what will handle them.
      And that might cost around the $500 range (second hand).
       
      Yamaha A-S501?
      Yamaha A-S701?
      Also saw a NAD 7600 in the classifieds here which looks to be an absolute beast?
       
      Hope I followed the rules with this post!
      Thank you audio gods, I am not yet worthy.

×
×
  • Create New...