Unwelcome Windows 10 upgrade has stuffed my computer

I guess you mean 10 uses a lot of the code that was written for 7. Would make sense of course, it would be unlikely that any of these operating systems were completely re-written from scratch.

I guess you mean 10 uses a lot of the code that was written for 7. Would make sense of course, it would be unlikely that any of these operating systems were completely re-written from scratch.

Over 50 million lines of code in Windows 8 (which was basically Win 7 and Metro hobbled together). Have no idea of Win 10 but imagine it's up there somewhere.

Still not sure about all the hate for W10. I was happily set with W7 and wasn't considering upgrading, even thought about disabling the autoupgrade options so W10 wouldn't happen, but when it did I was pleasantly surprised.

The upgrade went fine (took a while, but that's to be expected), booted up to W10 fine. Few minor issues getting wifi to work (wifi adapter software issue, not W10) and getting files to batch-copy to external drives but since then it's been plain sailing. Even looks nicer than W7 and runs, seemingly, just that little bit smoother.

You can customise the look to be 99% the same as W7 if you want and you can disable all M$ snooping/tracking if you are so inclined (takes a little bit of effort). But if you're connected to the internet then you're a fool to think you're not already being tracked - unless you've gone to extreme lengths to remain anonymous online. For the average punter though, they shouldn't have anything to worry about with the stock M$ snooping.

• Like 1

not sure hate spyne, more annoyance of pretty much having something forced onto you ...something unwelcome as per the  title. I lost a good bit of time start of the week which is pretty important to me. 

ps something odd with outlook in windows 10. can be typing away an email and will often and I mean I got it 6 times while typing one email where it popped up with a box saying I would loose my work if proceeded and whether I actually wanted to do so ... yes?  no?  ... wha ? of course no you dummy ! 

Guest Muon

unfortunately with all the updates recently  windows 7 is a lot like 10 these days not looks wise but under the hood

No here, but then I only do critical and security updates.

Guest Muon

I didn't mean you......................I was pointing out to others that the default settings are not in their best interests.

Oops...sorry :D

I agree, no reason to install any updates that are not needed.....or wanted.

Windows 10 is better than Windows 8/8.1................but Windows 7 is better than all of them.

Win 8/8.1 is the certainly the one to avoid but I rather like Win 10.

Win 7 better, not if you've ever gone through the endless stuck in a recovery loop that it's famous for.

I don't get any update now adverts at all ? Nada

Just recently my Win 7 has unexpected recovery issues popping up all the time now if it's left on overnight

And 2 updates just fail to load ? This has been happening for months ?

I'm still in 2 minds for the win10 OS update

On another note -

Have an IMac as well and all OS is updated / upgraded for free if you choose to do it

I don't get any update now adverts at all ? Nada

Just recently my Win 7 has unexpected recovery issues popping up all the time now if it's left on overnight

And 2 updates just fail to load ? This has been happening for months ?

I'm still in 2 minds for the win10 OS update

On another note -

Have an IMac as well and all OS is updated / upgraded for free if you choose to do it

It would not surprise me if Microsoft cripple Win7 and 8 a little to make people upgrade to Windows 10. Currently they pulling out a few dirty tricks already.

My Lappy (Win8.1) which never hardly gets used except for the occasional Room EQ Wizzard sweep with a mic and it too will not install the last 9 updates. Goes through all the motions and then fails at the very end.

My Lappy has just windows and team viewer and a couple of antispyware manual programs plus REW and that is it. No Antivrus, no other programs.

Reinstalling Win 8.1 at the moment. :)

Edited by rocky500

Reinstalled a fresh Win 8.1 and just put the first round of updates on.

Just trying to check on another update to see what it does and I get this below. This lappy has worked so well for 2 years. I might try Win 10 and I bet it works 100% fine again. :)

post-107190-0-92329400-1464852460_thumb.

Guest Muon

I just looked at my update history, only one failed and it was successful on the second try.

I'm wondering if these nasty updates are all optional updates, as I don't do optional and have had no bad ones on Win7.

New ram in but still my new Win 8.1 is lagging way more than usual.

Now installing Win 10 to see how it goes. I don't use it for much, so it is a good one to try the new OS again.

I think it may be time to update this lappy as couple hours later it is at 25% upgrading and looks like it will be a while.

Actually had to reboot the lappy a few times yesterday as it got stuck upgrading to Win10. Downloaded the big file and then sat there saying downloading something. By morning still downloading.

Edited by rocky500

All the Big Brother MS Win10 crap is almost enough to make me want to swap to Linux.

There was some talk of class action lawsuit for all the heavy handedness and unauthorised access that Win10 allows itself BUT Microsoft wrote into the EULA clauses specifically disallowing any sort of law suits if you use it.

My bet is the NSA/CIA has a hand in it all given the amount of spyware and keylogging it does.

I haven't posted on this thread for a while now.  As previously posted I was able to get the computer to revert to Windows 7 by way of a Toshiba partition on the HDD where it had a non re-writable back up of the original install.   Initially this seemed to work okay but when I got JRiver loaded again the computer had trouble running JRiver without bringing out the WIndows 7 spinny blue wheel.  It got so bad it wouldn't even turn off.  I can only assume that the reinstall of Windows 7 from the protected area on the HDD didn't work all that well.

I'm decided to see if an upgrade to Windows 10 will help.  Strange as this is what I was trying to avoid in the first place.  Going through the Windows 10 update process as I type.