Unwelcome Windows 10 upgrade has stuffed my computer

So, for months now I've been declining the Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop which has been quite happily running Windows 7 and doing everything I wanted.  I found tonight that good old Microsoft has forced its Windows 10 on my computer and just decided that it would upgrade.  I managed to find the decline button and then the computer indicated that it was reverting to the previous windows.   It seemed to get stuck at a black screen with the occasional blue wheel of death coming up and then doing nothing.  The computer just sits there with the black screen not going any further.

What has Microsoft done to my computer which was running perfectly?

It is stuck without a program to run itself?

Guest Muon

Sounds like the roll back went egg shaped big time

Try some recovery options if you are able to, if the options in F8 are no help use the recovery options booting via the Win7 disk.

Personally I would try and recover important files if need be, and then load Win7 fresh and implement the tricks to avoid it happening again.

So, for months now I've been declining the Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop which has been quite happily running Windows 7....

What has Microsoft done to my computer which was running perfectly?

It is stuck without a program to run itself?

Um yes... Microsoft's at it again. Still using Windows 7, ain't changing. Usually, the operating system supplied with a computer, especially a laptop, is suitable for that hardware configuration (especially with laptops). Upgrade the software, in this case the operating system, and... well, the newer operating system is not (and was not) designed for the hardware configuration of the computer, or laptop. I know I'm stalling on answering, I know.... with laptops, they have a partition set aside, usually a D: drive (sometimes viewing is disabled so the user can't destroy it)... anyway, on that drive (D:) is a recovery copy of Windows, the original Windows you were using before the 'upgrade'. But, if the upgrade has made changes to that drive, then you may have problems 'going back' as it were.

What I would do is NOTHING just yet.... until.... more coming....

You need to check with the manual, that came with your specific laptop. If you do not have a hard copy, then go to the vendors website and get a copy. If you don't know what I mean, then tell me what brand and model of laptop you have and I'll get a copy of the user manual for you... if I can. Anyway, in that manual you should have the correct information how to do a recovery. Be warned: you may loose everything on your laptop, this is a distinct possibility.... so if you have anything on the laptop that you really treasure, then I strongly recommend you seek out a computer shop, or someone that KNOWS what they are doing... especially when it comes to Microsoft's operating system, and in your case Windows 10.

Edited by rastus

So, for months now I've been declining the Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop which has been quite happily running Windows 7 and doing everything I wanted.  I found tonight that good old Microsoft has forced its Windows 10 on my computer and just decided that it would upgrade.  I managed to find the decline button and then the computer indicated that it was reverting to the previous windows.   It seemed to get stuck at a black screen with the occasional blue wheel of death coming up and then doing nothing.  The computer just sits there with the black screen not going any further.

Good, you found 'the' button to decline. But I assume it was during the install process. It indicated it was 'reverting to the previous [version] of windows', good again. Black screens are not good. Stating the obvious I know. I'm also trying to understand where your up to. The 'blue wheel of death'... I don't think I know this one, I do know the "Blue Screen Of Death" (BSOD).... is that what you seen? A blue screen, with writing all over it that didn't make sense?

"black screen" <----- Not sure what this is... nothing on it? No icons? No writing? Nothing?

Edit: Me thinks we lost him...

Edited by rastus

Guest Muon

You need to check with the manual, that came with your specific laptop. If you do not have a hard copy, then go to the vendors website and get a copy. If you don't know what I mean, then tell me what brand and model of laptop you have and I'll get a copy of the user manual for you... if I can. Anyway, in that manual you should have the correct information how to do a recovery. Be warned: you may loose everything on your laptop, this is a distinct possibility.... so if you have anything on the laptop that you really treasure, then I strongly recommend you seek out a computer shop, or someone that KNOWS what they are doing... especially when it comes to Microsoft's operating system, and in your case Windows 10.

Normally they will have two options, one that deletes/overwrites the C drive (Factory State) and one that doesn't.

Usually ;)

Guest Muon

Normally they will have two options, one that deletes/overwrites the C drive (Factory State) and one that doesn't.

Usually ;)

Or maybe I'm getting confused!

Best to be very careful if trying to save data.

GRC, Gibson Research Corp.... well I'll be, been 10 years easy, since I've checked that one out! Well I'll be... memory lane. For anyone wishing to know all about security on the Internet, Gibson is the man. Or was.

@@Jake > Good call brother!

"Easily Control Automatic and Unwanted Windows 7 & 8.1 Upgrading to Windows 10"

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

PS: Read Gibson's website, all of it, and you'll know more than me, that's for sure!!!!

• Like 1

@@Freedom this may be an opportunity for your advice.

glen is yours an asus laptop? siliconbeat for 4 aug 2015 has some depth on this. more generally,there seems to be a wealth of information about bricking by win 10 via google. the consensus, even unto the ms shills, veers towards 'pay an expert'. sadly.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help folks.  I was reading the posts as they came up but was watching the Hateful 8 last night so didn't do anything about the laptop.  Great movie by the way, classic Tarantino.

Anyway, the laptop is a Toshiba and it seems that by holding down the '0' button and switching on I can take the device back to factory settings.  This was just as well as just about every other option required either the admin password or the windows 7 disc, I've forgotten the password and forgotten where the disc is.  Fail on both counts.

I commenced the reset last night at about 11 pm and by 1 am decided to leave it and went to bed.  Up at 5.50 (wish I could sleep in, just once) and it was ready to go.  Looks like it's all back to factory settings and working fine with windows 7.  Typing on it now as a matter or fact.

• Like 7

Thanks for your help folks.  I was reading the posts as they came up but was watching the Hateful 8 last night so didn't do anything about the laptop.  Great movie by the way, classic Tarantino.

Anyway, the laptop is a Toshiba and it seems that by holding down the '0' button and switching on I can take the device back to factory settings.  This was just as well as just about every other option required either the admin password or the windows 7 disc, I've forgotten the password and forgotten where the disc is.  Fail on both counts.

I commenced the reset last night at about 11 pm and by 1 am decided to leave it and went to bed.  Up at 5.50 (wish I could sleep in, just once) and it was ready to go.  Looks like it's all back to factory settings and working fine with windows 7.  Typing on it now as a matter or fact.

Great news.

Had the same forced upgrade happening on my Acer. Manage to stop the upgrade and went back to 7.

I then disabled every possible upgrade option to make sure it does not happen again.

Funny, it's only the laptop that kept coming up with the upgrade option.   Is there something in the settings to tick to stop this?

Yes, I can type the details in for you but may take to long, just Google - it will show you.

I changed all updates to manual and I removed the icon on the toolbar.

• Like 1

Grrrr ! 

this is unwelcome ! not sure what I did. was working away, screen went black now this ! 

Ouch - I dont think you have done anything, this is the problem It just starts happening.

Edited by Jventer

Guest Muon

not sure if you can uninstall from safe mode, have never attempted it myself.

Just let it go then revert after, then tweak the system so it does do it again.