Gieseler Audio

DAC Preamp wish list

Sponsor

John

AES/EBU & BNC input - both good points.

I don't get much call in that area but I could certainly cad the PCB appropriately & just make it a custom option.

HDMI & I2S

I would love to have HDMI but you are correct there are license/fee issues & I don't really want to go down that path at the moment.

I2S

Now I completely overlooked that & it would certainly be a useful addition. Will look into it.

Fixed & variable out.

It does have variable out & also a high low output level switch (just forgot to mention it) to optimise power amp matching.

Fixed out is certainly handy & I already have a customer request on it so I will add that as a permanent feature.

Outboard DC power supply.

That starts me thinking about all those seriously expensive Naim external PSU's.

I have lots of room inside the case & will be going overboard with multiple low noise supplies so I pretty happy in that area.

It will be powered by a chunky external transformer so you could always upgrade that to a Haishimotto if you have money to burn.

Sticking with "PCM" only "AKM"

No - full DSD as well up to DSD256 & possibly a future upgrade to DSD512

Predicted ball park price - 2.5k

Two year parts & labour warranty

Yes - firmware upgradable.

Thanks for you input John - some great suggestions.

Ray

Balanced XLR in.

I might save that for a even higher specked version otherwise the price will start to blow out.

Paulk

Yes Paul totally agree with all that.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

*starts wishing people would stop asking for more features, price is starting to blow out of my reach*

Hi Clay, did you manage to include Balance Control ?

*shakes fist at woadl*

:sarc:

Ha Ha , should only be a Software tweak  :P

Sponsor

Sorry Brian - no balance control

Sponsor

Hey Adam I could offer it in two versions.

A basic entry level version with the bare minimum features in terms of inputs & outputs.

Say USB in & variable RCA & XLR out. I could then offer a upgrade service down the track to option it up to the full spec version.

Performance would actually be a little better due to less switching of digital & analogue lines.

In my own personal setup I am only ever going to use the USB in & variable RCA out - HT bypass would be useful though

That would make the cost of the basic unit arround 2k.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Haha, thanks Clay. If it's good enough for the maker, I'm sure it will be good enough for me :)

Will see how finances sit upon release - HT bypass and a second input could come in very handy in the future.

Sponsor

Actually with all the different requests I'm getting maybe I should just make a base model with various optionial upgrades.

It will mean cnc'ing different rear panels but I only do small runs anyway so that not a big problem.

That way you are only paying for the actual features you need for your system. The PCB will cater for all options so future upgrades will be possible.

Hi Clay,

As you say the base unit would probably be everything I would need.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Or maybe you could offer a choice of 2 only inputs (e.g. your choice of usb,coax,rca,xlr,aes/ebu etc.) and 2 only outputs (e.g.rca,xlr,etc), HT bypass on base model and then charge extra for any additional ins/outs.

I realise the BIG problem with this is you would probably be machining every box. Obviously less than ideal.

Or stick with what you said usb input, rca/xlr ouput and HT bypass then offer any extra ins/outs at additional cost.

I guess this would keep costs down for people like me who don't need additional ins/outs in my system but still be able to offer those that do require them to get exactly what they need and not raise the expense too much. 

I guess the idea with your products has always been offering outstanding gear that offers a real taste of the hi end at a fraction of the price that just about anyone can afford.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Looking forward to getting a look at this thing.

Paul