DAC Preamp wish list

Well some serious progress today!

Fletcher who handles the programming side of things has finalised the code for the new single larger OLED display. We are now using one much higher capacity micro controller rather than the previous individual micros on the DAC & Preamp boards. The new micro is on a separate PCB (separate PSU as well) so has much better isolation in respect to the audio circuits. Also system integration is far better with one micro in total control of the whole unit. The only down side is the senior solderer (ME) has the daunting task of mounting a hundred pin micro controller chip - 0.5 mm pin pitch so not too bad.

The OLED display works brilliantly, each function uses the entire character display so even I can read it from across the room without binoculars.

All that is left now is to cad up & order the new micro controller PCB.

Bottom line - should have a totally finished (one anyway) product in about two weeks.:party

• Like 6

Hey guys I have just come up with a rather radical idea that may interest the Multibit R2R fans.

I still have a stash of PCM1704U-K chips left from my PDX manufacturing days so I was thinking of a very limited run of digital front end boards using that chip. The DAC/Pre uses a seperate (relatively small) digital front end PCB with a socketed Amanero USB module so easy to swap over. It will be pricey though as genuine PCM1704U-K's from a reliable source are at least a couple a hundred a pop. From memory Element14's last remaining few listed arround $380!!!

Anyway I have ten PCM1704U-K's left, they are mono so I could only do five boards. Just a thought - feedback appreciated!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

sorry for the delay with this. I'm in the process of changing houses so I have taken a bit of time off to get my house ready for sale. ETA on the finished DAC pre is about mid November. It is just waiting on a new controller board.

The PCM1704U-K digital option would be about $500 extra as that would be the extra cost to use those chips vs the AK4490EQ version.

I could also offer a AK4497EQ version at about $350 extra which is the one buy price for one of those chips at the moment. It is a lot less from AKM but they are only doing small runs at the moment & their minimum buy is 160 units! I have built up a AK4497EQ prototype which sounds very good but it is hard to tell is it is actually better than the AK4490EQ.

55 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I'm in the process of changing houses so I have taken a bit of time off to get my house ready for sale

Understand that, going thru the same thing here. Very stressful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Guys,

sorry for the delay with this. I'm in the process of changing houses so I have taken a bit of time off to get my house ready for sale. ETA on the finished DAC pre is about mid November. It is just waiting on a new controller board.

The PCM1704U-K digital option would be about $500 extra as that would be the extra cost to use those chips vs the AK4490EQ version.

I could also offer a AK4497EQ version at about $350 extra which is the one buy price for one of those chips at the moment. It is a lot less from AKM but they are only doing small runs at the moment & their minimum buy is 160 units! I have built up a AK4497EQ prototype which sounds very good but it is hard to tell is it is actually better than the AK4490EQ.

Oh my! That's quite a big change! My family is only just starting to go through that process, still early days yet. Can't imagine the stress level of that so stay well.

• 1 month later...
On 19/10/2016 at 5:15 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Guys,

Hi Clay,

How has the house moving gone - hopefully smooth sailing, it's certainly not the least stressful activity one can undertake!

Any progress on the DAC-Pre?

Hi Adam,

my factory is jammed packed with stuff from home - trying to de-clutter a bit & make the house look good for potential buyers.

DAC/Pre  -   we have actually been working on it today & making steady progress.

RE mico controller

The TQFP-100 Atmega2560 chip was proving a bit of a challenge so we have gone back to the DIP Atmega 328P as it is much easier to work with. The 328P has limited digital & analog outputs but it looks as if we will just make it. Preamp section now working nicely with the new OLED display so just need to add in the DAC code.

IMG_0173.JPG

• Like 2

Hello Clay,

My sympathies with the stress of moving home.

Just a question about using your DAC/Pre (or Klein ll - I need to decide) using USB-2 input: will it run as an ALSA device from an 'Idealish Server" running Snakeoil software without needing Linux drivers? Do you, or any of your clients, do this already?

Edited by BioBrian
got me terms in a twist

Hi Brian,

correct - no need for Linux drivers as the Amanero USB board does not need them with a Linux (or Mac) based server.

The Amanero only needs drivers for Windows which are available from his website.

I have tried Snakeoil with the Klein II using a mini-itx based server & it works fine.

• Like 1

Hey exciting news!

Digikey finally have stock of the new AK4497EQ DAC chip.

$71 US a pop tho. Ouch!

Actually just noticed that was in Aus $ so not too bad.

I have already developed a prototype using this chip so will be offering it as an option with the DAC/Pre for sure.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey exciting news!

Digikey finally have stock of the new AK4497EQ DAC chip.

$71 US a pop tho. Ouch!

I have already developed a prototype using this chip so will be offering it as an option with the DAC/Pre for sure.

Hi Clay,

that is good news. Please offer the AK4497 as an option for your DACs without preamp as well.

Matt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

well finally we have it all sorted.

The whole unit is controlled with one 28 pin DIL micro controller. It is in a socket so very handy for future firmware upgrades if required. The big OLED display has a home menu showing all info as well as sub menus in a large font which is readable from across the room. The AK4497EQ will be a upgrade option or I may even make it standard issue. Over the next couple of weeks I will machine out a new front panel & build up a fully finished final model. When that is done I will start a new product release thread with lots of info & photos.

Have a great Christmas

Cheers

Clay 

IMG_0284.JPG

• Like 9