DAC Preamp wish list

Hey Adam I could offer it in two versions.

A basic entry level version with the bare minimum features in terms of inputs & outputs.

Say USB in & variable RCA & XLR out. I could then offer a upgrade service down the track to option it up to the full spec version.

Performance would actually be a little better due to less switching of digital & analogue lines.

In my own personal setup I am only ever going to use the USB in & variable RCA out - HT bypass would be useful though

That would make the cost of the basic unit arround 2k.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Haha, thanks Clay. If it's good enough for the maker, I'm sure it will be good enough for me :)

Will see how finances sit upon release - HT bypass and a second input could come in very handy in the future.

Actually with all the different requests I'm getting maybe I should just make a base model with various optionial upgrades.

It will mean cnc'ing different rear panels but I only do small runs anyway so that not a big problem.

That way you are only paying for the actual features you need for your system. The PCB will cater for all options so future upgrades will be possible.

• Like 2

Hi Clay,

As you say the base unit would probably be everything I would need.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Or maybe you could offer a choice of 2 only inputs (e.g. your choice of usb,coax,rca,xlr,aes/ebu etc.) and 2 only outputs (e.g.rca,xlr,etc), HT bypass on base model and then charge extra for any additional ins/outs.

I realise the BIG problem with this is you would probably be machining every box. Obviously less than ideal.

Or stick with what you said usb input, rca/xlr ouput and HT bypass then offer any extra ins/outs at additional cost.

I guess this would keep costs down for people like me who don't need additional ins/outs in my system but still be able to offer those that do require them to get exactly what they need and not raise the expense too much. 

I guess the idea with your products has always been offering outstanding gear that offers a real taste of the hi end at a fraction of the price that just about anyone can afford.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Looking forward to getting a look at this thing.

Paul

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Hey I just want a quick opinion on something.

Over the last couple of days I have been laying out the final pcb's & this has got me thinking about a different approach in terms of updating & future proofing the design. It is basically a modular approach that I think a Stereonet member mentioned.

The concept is to have a digital input/DAC board & seperate preamp board with all the analogue inputs & outputs. Basically the Klein DAC II + new preamp in one case. Each board would have its own onboard controller & display. WHAT - two screens - unorthodox I known but it means say a larger font/display for level & input to see from across the room & then the usual one for sample rate etc for the digital input side. When the AK4497 goes into production (or any future new model)I could offer a upgrade which would just involve replacing the digital board. The most expensive part is the Amanero USB board which is socketed so that could could be transferred to the new board & would reduce upgrade costs significantly. I already have the firmware for the respective DAC & preamp boards so that speeds up things for me. I know two displays sound a little odd but it will all be controlled from one remote & with side by side rear mounting it may almost look like one display- what do you think?

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 7

Are there plans to have any knobs, switches, buttons or LEDs on the front?

Just trying to think that I would like to see if there are already other things planned to be on the front panel.

If I had one I would really like to be able to switch off the displays leaving a discreet led at most alight on the front .............. ideally the displays would reset themselves to light up again upon powering up  .............. I find my Klein's LED too bright  .......... but then so are LEDs on the server and the PSUs and the amp and powerboard .............  :)

I have no problem with this design and yes the ability to dim the display is a must

Would this mean that you could get the same function and sound if you just ordered the seperate DAC and pre amp ?

Thanks for the input guys.

First up the display can be switched totally off from the remote control.

Adam; the front panel will have a power switch, display & possibly a knob. The power switch will be the popular round push button with lumination which I will make sure is very low.

Brian; the DAC section will be very similar to the Klein II but with some more subtle improvements.

However the preamp section has a major upgrade in the output stage so IMO has a big jump in sound quality.

With the DAC + Preamp in the one case & directly connected it actually works a bit better than seperate units connected via sockets, cables ect.

• Like 4

This sounds fantastic Clay.

If the modular approach makes it easier for you and purchasers know they'll be able to upgrade their unit to the latest greatest new dac (or whatever) when it arrives, well I think it's a no brainer. I think for a lot of us here knowing that you have the capability to have your unit upgraded when desired gives you peace of mind knowing you can remain at the cutting edge of technology and not be worried your new dac is now "old" news in a couple months time. I think it's a definite winner.

I think the dual screen sounds interesting and would certainly give the unit a unique look. As others have suggested being able to turn off or dim the screens is essential and that is obviously taken care of as you have stated.

Clay, will this make it better or easier for a more comprehensive range of inputs/outputs as standard or will things remain as previously mentioned?

Anyway I think anticipation of this product is at fever pitch.

Can't wait!!!

• Like 1

Hi Paul - good to hear you like the concept. Yes I think the "peace of mind" factor is important - if you have spent say 2.5k on a top optioned unit is is comforting to know the DAC side can always be upgraded down the track.

The preamp PCB will cater for all options so I can just configure each order as per customer requirements.

The maxium options will be

Digital in; USB Coax Optical.

Analogue in; 3 X RCA

Analogue outputs; 2 X RCA & 1 XLR balanced both variable.

1 X RCA HT bypass 1 X fixed RCA - with this option you would lose one of the other RCA outputs.

OK once again time for me to get off the forums & back to laying out the boards - I will order them early next week & then ten days later I will have them - woo-hoo!

• Like 3

To make production easier, could you not have a standard back plate with all connection points drilled and then simply blank off unwanted connections? I've seen this approach by many mass market manufacturers leaving easy upgrade without new rear plates.

• Like 3

Hi Clay - now you are talking!

In Computeraudio I think it is essential to have the ability to upgrade. 

My preferences:

• Modular: separate dac, amp should work. What about following same approach for all the things the guys want, e.g. modular approach to inputs/outputs
  • Upgradeable
  • Dimmable screen
  • Remote
  • Very dim light to show on or no light at all

Dont mind how many screens, think it is a good idea to have a standard backplate with unused holes just blanked off.

• Like 1

I wasn't planing to  but I can certainly add it if  everyone thinks it would be worth while.

IMO it is usually on amps/receiver that have remote power on but this won't.

12v Trigger in and outs would be good if there is HT bypass.