Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

Raspberry Pi Klein combo interest

AFAIK the AK4490 needs a seperate MCK input. The S/PDIF receiver (Wolfson WM8804) & Amanero Asynchronous USB board I use in my DAC both have MCK outputs which connect to the MCK input pin on the AK4490.

Compute model actually makes things bigger when it's implemented. It's designed for multiple processor computing not for small size

Hi Guys,

well a few months ago I built a new prototype streamer DAC combo based on a Raspberry Pi.

All AKM DAC's run in slave mode & so it is not possible to connect the Raspberry PI  directly into the DAC chip.

To get around this I used a device called the Kali reclocker.

https://allo.com/sparky/kali-reclocker.html

This reclocks all the I2S lines & included a high quality master clock output - perfect to drive the AK4495 DAC chip I used.

I tried quite a few distros on the Pi & settled on moOde audio as it sounded the best, easy install & excellent support.

I loved the sound quality but there were two issues.

An intermittent loud click on pause/track change & I was not totally wrapt in the simple web based remote system.

Tim from moOde audio was very helpful regarding the clicks but we never managed to solve the issue & put it down to the hardware.

I put it aside for a few months but I still had a  gut feeling that different software may solve the loud click issue.

I kept reading good things about Picoreplayer so today I gave that a shot.

Success!

It is considerably more involved in the setup but well worth the effort.

All clicks have virtually disappeared & the odd one that occur are so faint they are barley noticeably.

The other huge bonus is I can use iPeng to control it. This app is way more slick than any simple web base style of interface.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-8/

Any compatibility Logitech Squeezebox app will work so plenty of Android solutions as well.

My hardware setup.

I'm using the AK4495 in a relatively simple setup with a transformer output stage similar to the Groß DAC.

Nice low noise PSU's all round with a dedicated high current one for the Kali/Pi section.

Simple muting so no switch on/off pops.

Why did I pick the AK4495 - I particularly like the sound of it, easy to implement & reasonable cost.IMG_1228.thumb.JPG.c8e924c61fe90549752724718c0e37f4.JPG

At this stage I'm not quite sure on how I will market/price it. The SD card is hard to get to so I will probably need to run that to a external socket.

Anyway lots of possibilities & potential for sure!

I better get back to Groß DAC production for now or I will have unhappy customers.

Stay tuned!

5 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I kept reading good things about Picoreplayer so today I gave that a shot.

Success!

It is considerably more involved in the setup but well worth the effort.

You might be interested to know that @Greg Erskine is one of the amazing devs of pCP ;)

The pCP team are super active and adding new features "a lot"

Did you try the "audio" version? And have you seen the experimental bluetooth support is being played with?

Yes Greg seems a great guy & very regular with updates & info even here on SNA.

I did go for the “audio version” & it is sounding extreamly good.

FWIW Clay  I am extremely interested in this!!!

I know you probably have a lot on your plate  ATM but if you can make this happen.......

This is a great idea for a product.   

Edited by Jeddie

Well I’ve been running this for a couple of days now & it's rock solid - not one glitch or pop.

I’m controlling it with iPeng 9 running on a thirteen inch iPad Pro & have to say it is a lovely interface.

iPeng have just done another update which includes Roon playback support.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2017/07/13/summer-news-from-ipeng/

My streamer/DAC is running (balanced or RCA options) directly into  power amp & has plenty of drive level.

The AK4495 analogue section is runing on 7v so max output is up a bit at around 3v rms.

Softwareware volume control in iPeng - very solid & reliable.

Music sources I’ve been using;

Tidal (flac)

USB stick with hi Rez music files

Streaming radio - I’m amazed just how good this sounds too.

Artwork support is excellent & not one album cover missing in any of my music sources.

I’m getting very excited about this now as you may have noticed.

After two beers last night & looking across at my Hi-Fi rack I’m thinking - this little box can replace my Konverter + Auralic Aries combo & is about a quarter the cost. Sound quality is obviously down a bit but still extremely good.

I will probably do two versions of it.

An entry level one similar to photo above & a ultra version more like the Groß DAC.

Now there is just one limitation in that the Kali reclocker I use (& need) does not support DSD.

There are more complex & expensive reclockers out there that support DSD but I will need to do more R & D to see if any are suitable. 

Stay tuned!