Raspberry Pi Klein combo interest

17 minutes ago, matth said:

And you would need something like an OEM contract with Allo to do this

I cant imagine Allo have much say in what anyone does to the device after it has been sold

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, Gieseler Audio said:

The feedback on the USBridge is excellent.

I have just ordered one with  DietPi as OS.

Now I have this radical idea about a bigger case for the Gross DAC & installing the USBridge inside. 

Then I could add two more low noise PSU’s - one for the Sparky & one for the USBridge board.

Anyway one thing at a time so as soon as the USBridge arrives I will give it a thorough workout with the Gross DAC & post the results.

Thanks Matt for alerting me about this. 

:popcorn:

On 04/03/2018 at 9:26 AM, scumbag said:

Allo usb bridge might be a good candidate? https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/usbridge.html

No problem ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest scumbag

I've been sitting with my cursor hovering over the buy button on an allo pi based streamer for quite a few months.  I'm not in a position to give any sort of ranking unfortunately . What I can do is join the dots between the different reviews. John darko very handily has a section on streaming devices in his dac rankings. According to that, the allo devices seem to sit in sound quality around the microrendu. He has never reviewed the sotm200 so there is no way to get a feel for where he thinks the usb bridge or the DIGIone sit with regards to it. Hans beekhuyzeen has reviewed the mr, the sotm200, the allo usbridge and the DIGIone. His videos are quite long and exhaustive but the feeling I get is that the allo solutions are going toe to toe with the sotm200. 

Anyway, what is now grabbing my attention and is more relevant to clay's interests is the Kali reclocker. I've been itching to grab one of these to listen to as it has i2s output so no conversion to usb or spdif and 

possibly less interaction with cables as i2s. I'd like to hear this feeding my directstream junior! https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspdac/raspdigi-lte-lvds-reclocker-kali-streamer-i2s-lvds-hdmi-audio-gd-compatible-p-12031.html

Not cheap but very interesting. 

Hi Mark,

the Allo Kali sounds very good. Works well with picore player too.

You just need a DAC with I2S in.

I have not done a comparison to the USBridge yet.

I ordered it (USBridge)with the Allo dietPi OS - unfortunately it is a very basic gui with not a lot of options. I'm wanting to use it as a standalone unit so you need to go in via ssh & install LMS, mount drives ect. I will let you know how it sounds when I get it up & running. Allo support is good which is a big help.

From what I've read the Allo USBridge is a suitable solution, but to achieve the SQ you guys are after the Sparky and the USBridge boards need separate linear power supplies, as Clay is intending to do.

I was initially going to get an Audiophonics RaspTouch I-Sabre ES9028Q2M KALI - Streamer Touch with Volume Control solution, but was told the Kali reclocker will not pass DSD. I'm not currently using DSD so considered getting one anyway, but at the time Audiophonics didn't have the parts availability to be able to make the Kali version of the RaspTouch.

Guest scumbag

Didnt realise the Kali can't do dsd. https://volumio.org/forum/reclocker-i2s-jitter-t4516-100.html

Ok. So that's not much use for clay then :( . It still interests me though as the dsj will take any input and converts it to dsd any way. Back to the other allo solutions, the usbridge is meant to have the edge on the digione from what I've read. 

Edited by scumbag