Melbourne’s New Home of Luxury Audio, Bang & Olufsen

• Administrator

Marc did you get to audition the 90s? Any first impressions?

Yes I did, albeit brief. Sadly the accompanying media were certainly not from audio circles. They were more impressed by the headphones and handheld speakers.

I don't think they appreciated what they were getting the opportunity to audition.

I stole the prime position and settled in for a good listen, but only one track was played before the rest of the presentation continued. What I did hear was absolutely impressive, but an unfamiliar track.

But with all that said, I was generously offered a welcome back specifically to spend time with the 90's, anytime I like and after hours with no distractions if need be. I thought that was very generous.

• Like 3

Guest JohnA

Yes I did, albeit brief. Sadly the accompanying media were certainly not from audio circles. They were more impressed by the headphones and handheld speakers.

I don't think they appreciated what they were getting the opportunity to audition.

I stole the prime position and settled in for a good listen, but only one track was played before the rest of the presentation continued. What I did hear was absolutely impressive, but an unfamiliar track.

But with all that said, I was generously offered a welcome back specifically to spend time with the 90's, anytime I like and after hours with no distractions if need be. I thought that was very generous.

if you need a spare set of ears i'm your man  :)

• Volunteer

Better than Bose I suppose.

I'll check it out while I'm in Melbourne.

People seem to put Bose and B&O together. This is not fair imho. Yes B&O are pricey but their top end stuff is actually very good. The fact that they look cool too is a bonus and in the world of high end audio they are nowhere near the most pricey.

• Like 1

• Administrator

I'll admit, apart from the glamour, I've had no experience with them.

I'm actually in the same boat as you, until now.

Learning about the history of the brand, and their dedication to acoustics and sound, it became clear to me that they probably suffer a lot of criticism unfairly. As just happened, they automatically get lumped into the same camp as Bose (which as a brand also have their merits).

For whatever reason, perhaps audiophiles are a bit snobby when it comes to B&O?

• Like 3

Guest Sime

I've been to their store in sydney years ago, and apart from swivel TVs and the compact systems they had on display, nothing kept my interest enough to inquire.

I always thought they were simply exceptionally well built compact systems, nothing serious.

And more so to the fact that you don't see B&O systems owned by members here that are lusted after.

Edited by Sime

I'll admit, apart from the glamour, I've had no experience with them.

I experienced them in the late 70's. I worked with a young bloke that was rough as guts. VB and blue singlet type,smoked tons of dope , not B&O's target demographic IMHO and he got a big payout for hurting his hand at work. About 3 Grand and he went out and bought a B&O system. Strangest thing to see the set up in his bungalow out the back oh his parents house. It was a thing of beauty and it sounded damn good. He blew all his payout on that system but he was Happy as Larry. So yeah, hard to judge who a potential customer might be

• Like 1

The 90's are quite bold, do look like something Bose would make, with a bit more style. The rest (from the photos) looks cold and lifeless, much to the style of today.

The 90's are quite bold, do look like something Bose would make, with a bit more style. The rest (from the photos) looks cold and lifeless, much to the style of today.

B&O are renowned for their minimalist style. Obviously influenced by the Bauhaus school IMO

B&O are renowned for their minimalist style. Obviously influenced by the Bauhaus school IMO

I know, but their older stuff had both form and function and was obvious in its use. Looking at the photos Im not sure if it is bathroom fixtures or bedroom furniture from an IKEA catalogue.

• Like 1

I think their portable, headphones and other small stuff are beautiful. If they sound as good as they look then that works for me.

The bigger stuff is not necessarily to my taste but you have to give them kudos for trying to do something different in a world of (mostly) square wooden speakers and square black electronics.

• Administrator

[snip] but you have to give them kudos for trying to do something different in a world of (mostly) square wooden speakers and square black electronics.

Almost word for word what I said to the Global Head of Brand, Design and Marketing Thursday morning. :thumb:

• Like 1

Guest JohnA

There goes the spare room for Vintage audio !  :(

:sarc:

cant have that, dont want to embarrass all the new fancy stuff with better sounding vintage gear 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like B&O are following in the steps of Devialet.  I won't do any reverse snobbery.  I'll drop in for a look if I'm in the area.   I have no interest in their gear, more lifestyle than audiophile.  There are plenty of players in that field now.  Always good to see how the other half live.