piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite + LMS

6 May 2016 - piCorePlayer 2.05

Please try the new version piCorePlayer 2.05.

The team is happy to release this new version, with special focus on LMS integration and managing attached USB-disk.

Changes:

• Added a LMS-update button, so it is very easy to update LMS to the most recent nightly version.
  • Added options to mount hard-disks.
  • Added options to move the cache and preferences to mounted drive - otherwise piCorePlayer would be using your SD card, but it might be safer to use a mounted disk.
  • Added a pop-up that offers to expand the partition if it is too small.
  • Improved the update process, so that it will be future proof if anything changes in pCP.
  • Fixed the VU-meter problem.
  • A lot of minor improvements throughout the scripts.

Have a look at the LMS-configuration page (select [beta] mode on the "main" page).

• Like 2

You wouldn't unless you had other squeezebox devices or are really attached to LMS for some reason.

Like a SBT.... that may be why E.Man is using max2play on his Raspberry Pi... and I'm about to set him up with RuneAudio, but maybe his SBT won't be able to control RuneAudio. It's a bit of an unknown for me this type of configuration.

I may try it.... but a question, I'm presently using RuneAudio on my Pi.... why would I swap over to piCorePlayer?

Hi rastus,

I was really just posting to inform existing piCorePlayer users that there was an update. There are a couple here in this forum.

There are lots of good options out there, I'd stick with what you are happy with.  :)

regards

Greg

I was really just posting to inform existing piCorePlayer users that there was an update. There are a couple here in this forum.

There are lots of good options out there, I'd stick with what you are happy with.

Oh, I thought you was like advertising or somein.... like one of the designers like... certainly looked like that to me, der @ me! Anyway, what I really meant was....  what would the benefits be if I swap over to piCorePlayer? I thought I'd get it from the horses mouth, so to speak. My bad. Thanks anyway for passing that on Greg.

PS: You don't happen to use piCorePlayer, do you Greg?

Edited by rastus

Oh, I thought you was like advertising or somein.... like one of the designers like... certainly looked like that to me, der @ me! Anyway, what I really meant was....  what would the benefits be if I swap over to piCorePlayer? I thought I'd get it from the horses mouth, so to speak. My bad. Thanks anyway for passing that on Greg.

PS: You don't happen to use piCorePlayer, do you Greg?

Hi rastus,

Yes, I am one of the designers of piCorePlayer and use it all the time.  :D

I have been a member on SNA for 11 years, live in Sydney and thought it was ironic that I don't interact with the piCorePlayer users here in my backyard.

I started streaming audio about 10 years ago and the Squeezebox/LMS environment was one of the few available at the time. Luckily, it worked perfectly for me and still does exactly what I want. So it is very difficult for me to compare it to any of the other solutions that are now available.

piCorePlayer only works in the squeezebox/LMS environment (you don't actually need any squeezebox hardware anymore) and only works on Raspberry Pi's. Other than that, the main difference from other offerings, is it is a very small embedded Linux that runs mainly in memory. Standard pCP is only 75MB rather that many GB.

regards

Greg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

18 June 2016 - piCorePlayer 2.06

Please try the new version piCorePlayer 2.06.

This is a bug-fix version. A major part of the underlying code has been rewritten, but the appearance have not changed much.

Changes:

• piCore updated - where the libstdc++ exception bug is fixed.
  • Improved ALSA settings on the Squeezelite page.
  • Fixed the issue when trying to move LMS cache to attached Fat based USB disk.
  • Improved the update process further.
  • Numerous small bug-fixes.

NB: Please notice that you will need to install this version from 2.05. In addition, it is not possible to downgrade to a previous version anymore.

This will probably be the latest release based on kernel 4.1.

We have now started working on a major pCP update based on kernel 4.4 that contains a lot of interesting and important fixes for I2S-audio DACs.

The piCorePlayer Team

Edited by Greg Erskine

I'm a PiCore Player user, thanks for the info Greg.

I'm still using an older version as the last version I tried would not boot into Squeezelite, not sure which version though.

This will give me something to do at the weekend.

I'm a PiCore Player user, thanks for the info Greg.

I'm still using an older version as the last version I tried would not boot into Squeezelite, not sure which version though.

This will give me something to do at the weekend.

hi Batty,

Please post any issues you have. There should be no reason for something to stop working with an upgrade, but from time to time there is a combination that will prevent squeezelite from starting with usually turns out to be an invalid ALSA setting.

I had a situation last week where a default setting was wiped. As we add more features we find there are combinations that we hadn't thought about testing to may clash.

regards

Greg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just started to use picoreplayer and quite liking it . It's pretty much an instant load which is a big plus. I think I'm actually preferring it than a normal USB out from my computer

Thanks for trying mloutfie piCorePlayer, hopefully you are still using it.  :D

BTW: Sorry for the delay getting back to you, this forum doesn't work in the browser I normally use, so I don't drop in as often as I'd like.

Edited by Greg Erskine
  • Like 1

Thanks for trying mloutfie piCorePlayer, hopefully you are still using it.  :D

BTW: Sorry for the delay getting back to you, this forum doesn't work in the browser I normally use, so I don't drop in as often as I'd like.

Yeah still using it through amanero USB to AudioGD NOS7 I will try the new build soon. BTW Is upgrading to Pi2 will make a difference in encoding performance? I still use first gen pi b. I still have some rare pop and ticks on playback but it's much better now after playing with the buffer

Edited by mloutfie

hi mloutfie,

I have to admit I don't use a USB DAC so I am no expert. It is a matter of playing around with the settings and you should look on the tweaks page for a few settings that apply to USB, they may make a different.

piCorePlayer 3.0 is based on a new kernel and we are finding a few issues, so I'd use another SD card for testing if you can, or at least backup your working SD card.

There are so many ways to setup Squeezelite/LMS regarding encoding/conversion and resampling that it hard to say if you will notice a difference. I use various low end RPi with no issues, but I have a very standard library of wav files ripped from CDs.

regards

Greg

• 4 months later...
7 January 2017 - piCorePlayer 3.10

Hi, the team are proud to announce the release of a new piCorePlayer 3.10. Because of the many changes, improvements, bug fixes and additions, we decided to jump directly from version 3.02 to 3.10.

Actually, we have released two versions:
  1. piCorePlayer 3.10 which is a normal version like all previous pCP releases. The kernel and modules are vanilla versions from the official Raspberry Pi and piCore (Tinycore) repo.
  2. piCorePlayer 3.10-Audio which contains all the same improvements as the above mentioned version, but in addition, we have added all the audio related patches that Clive (aka JackOfAll) made for the Raspberry Pi kernel. So here we have support for more i2s-DACs and we support higher sample rates etc..

Changes:

• Updated to Kernel 4.4.39.
  • Samba Server implemented in [Beta] Mode.
  • Squeezelite is now dynamically linked.
  • Added Advanced audio card control - lets you control output level, available DTP filters, and parameter to dtoverlay.
  • Shairport-Sync updated to a lighter weight.
  • New pCP extension repository, hopefully more stable.
  • Numerous under the hood changes and bug fixes.

IMPORTANT: As we have so many changes we unfortunately are unable to offer "in situ" update - so will need to burn the new image (after unzipping the download) to your SD card. Also the "newconfig method" via USB stick won't work for this version.

DOWNLOADS: Get them from here: piCorePlayer Downloads

The team
Paul, Greg, Ralphy and Steen
Edited by Greg Erskine
  • Like 1

Hi mloutfie,

piCorePlayer supports the "official" 7" Raspberry Pi screen out of the box.

jivelite is software that needs to be installed from the [Tweaks] page to give you a functional touch screen just like the Squeezebox Touch.

If you are referring to those generic LCD displays, have a look for a project called Slimmer. Also, on the Logitech (Slim Devices) forum there are a couple of threads regarding this display.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forum.php 

regards

Greg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good times now with this setup - have screen set to switch off if nothing playing and album art when it is - all via roon. Nice simple and great sounding 4586ec4e6dd93f742ce7fdf87121c0c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, A J said:

Good times now with this setup - have screen set to switch off if nothing playing and album art when it is - all via roon. Nice simple and great sounding 4586ec4e6dd93f742ce7fdf87121c0c7.jpg

Which LCD screen did you use?

Just the standard raspberry 7". It sat around for a while as I mucked around with various scenarios. Volumio was pretty good but didn't have the roon capability that picore does in terms of displaying what's playing.

• 6 months later...

23 Sept 2017 - piCorePlayer 3.22

The pCP team has released a minor update.

Here are the major changes:

• Kernel 4.9.50.
  • RPi Firmware Sept 14, 2017.
  • Changed default governor to performance.  This was accidentally dropped when we changed to 4.9.y kernels.
  • Updated RPi wifi and bluetooth firmware.  Fixes BroadPwn vulnerability.
  • Updated to squeezelite 1.8.7-999.
  • Updated Allo PianoPlus drivers.
  • Add back missing hiface support. (Missing in 4.9.y kernels).
  • Allow for spaces in remote network shares.
  • Increased samba share path field length, and improved tool tips.
  • Add support for exFat file systems.
  • Fixed wifi SSID with spaces when using newconfig.cfg method.

Notes:

• Insitu Update is available, but for those that are using older images with 25MB boot partitions, pCP3.22 boot partition will no longer fit.  You will need to start with a new image.
  • LMS in repo updated to Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1505480690.

The released versions can be downloaded here.

The pCP team
Paul, Greg, Ralphy and Steen