Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Colouration', what is it and is it so bad!?

G'day all, I was listening to a bit of Hendrix today with my Bruce Heran op amp phono stage plugged in and once again I was a bit stunned at how good and musically 'sweet' it sounds. 

Did I say 'sweet'?  Yes, so does that mean that there is some possibly euphonic musical 'colouration' in there somewhere?  Well I don't really think so but the word 'sweet' does often come to mind when I use it.  So maybe there is.  In any case it does sound wonderful so if it is colouration, is that necessarily a bad thing? :unsure:  Regards, Felix. 

The ideal sound reproduction from any component or system is being as neutral and as close as possible to the original recording. Not 100% possible but some have been close with the "wire with a gain" approach with some components (think studio's with monitors etc). 

Some see coloration as a bad thing, while others not so much. But it's evident with digital audio over the past decade manufacturers have been going with the brighter sound = more neutral curve approach especially with DAC's (think ESS Sabre'ish sound but even that D/A chip has its own flaws on its own).

Amplifiers slightly the same as well, unlike stuff from the 60-80's. Digital stuff started to see changes around the mid 90's. 

Edited by liteneasy

As far as I know...........................Hendrix was born that colour.

Guest Muon

You need the right palette of colours, but the mix of what that palette contains is often different for different folks..

Some like shades of gray...

G'day all, che!  Regards, Felix. 

You need the right palette of colours, but the mix of what that palette contains is often different for different folks..

Some like shades of gray...

I prefer my gray to be grey

Did I say 'sweet'?  Yes, so does that mean that there is some possibly euphonic musical 'colouration' in there somewhere?  Well I don't really think so but the word 'sweet' does often come to mind when I use it.  So maybe there is.  In any case it does sound wonderful so if it is colouration, is that necessarily a bad thing? :unsure:  Regards, Felix. 

Hi Felix, this thread is almost a replay of one you started a while back

And there was a longer more in-depth discussion on the topic if you want to check that out too.

cheers

Guest Muon

I prefer my gray to be grey

Cool, you agree :)

Edited by Muon

G'day all, it's always good to know that there is always someone out here to 'remind' me when I 'revisit' subjects.  I sure do 'appreciate' that.  My many posts must get read after all.  Regards, Felix.   

@@Newman, search 'Bruce Heran' in this forum to find an amazing 41 other threads on the topic!? ...it's all good fun mate. Happy reading. ;)

Edited by Hi-Fi heathen