Sydney Audio Club Meeting - Sunday 15th May 2016 - DIY

TomW

The May 2016 meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us meet once again for an afternoon of fine music, great sound and amicable company. 

For May, we are having a long over-due DIY (Do It Yourself) meeting…!   To qualify, a DIY component must simply be a component that has been built or modded without the direct aid of experts or professionals.   This is shaping up to be a great meeting.   We’ll have lots of DIY gear on hand for you to marvel over – built from scratch preamps, phono stages, preamps, power amps, integrated amps, speakers, even cables.  Plus Raspberry Pi’s driving various DIY gear; a DIY music server driving a modded DAC; plus a complete DIY system from a very keen DIY fellow!   Many of these components sport very sophisticated parts – make no mistake, these guys are serious about their DIY!  

We’ll have 3 systems to demonstrate on the day, so be prepared for a bit of musical chairs as we ask you to turn towards the system of the moment.   Members and guest that provide components are given the opportunity to talk about their system/component (time boxed!) and play a bit of music of their choice to highlight what their component/s do best.   Visit our entry page on StereoNet at http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/forum/81-sydney-audio-club/ to get more information and see photos as we put them up.  We’ll also provide a limited supply of print-outs you can take which will explain the various components.  

The idea of the DIY meeting is to expose people to all the great things you can build from scratch and from kits, and also the modifications you can make to improve a store-bought component.   We think it’ll be fun and educational.  It’ll be a busy day with lots to see and hear.   

Please note that an early notification of our DIY meeting has previously been emailed to our members, and to our frequent visitors/posters to StereoNET via a post there.  (At StereoNET, refer to http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/101785-sydney-audio-club-meeting-sunday-15th-may-2016-members-and-friends-diy/).  We already have lots of gear to present.  However, if you arrive with some DIY gear you’d like us to hear then we’ll certainly try to accommodate.  However, we cannot guarantee that we will have the time – my apologies in advance should we not be able to do justice to your gear. 

Note that we usually have a BYO music session in the second half of our meeting.   We may or may not have that this month.  We’ll play it by ear - if we have the time then we’ll open up our meeting to BYO.  Should that eventuate, you’ll be able to play music on vinyl and CD/SACD.  Flash drives will likely not be possible.  As usual, we ask that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others of a similar mind.  

Feel free to come and hear the capabilities of the various systems and components, or to just share the experience with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.  Guests are always welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
Address:  26 Stanley Road, Epping

When:  Sunday 15th May 2016

Doors open 1:30pm
Meeting starts at 2:00pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters

President

Sydney Audio Club

www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au

tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

Masterpaul,

Great find on the Bakers speaker, but not the same model as we'll have at the meeting this Sunday. The driver we have was purchased by my dad in the early 50's. Its a Bakers 12" Deluxe. It's a "full range" driver with an aluminium voicecoil cap and a horn shaped cone. Pics below. We're looking forward to demonstrating the speaker on Sunday.

post-137748-0-52019700-1463115022_thumb.

post-137748-0-79991700-1463115185_thumb.

Thanks for the fun today guys!

26959604891_1041305e99_c.jpgDone! by Hilton, on Flickr

I'm all back together and beast watercooling system has been banished outside and my equipment room is oh so lovely quiet and much cooler!

Doesnt half look tidier too!

Here you can see the watercooler outside on the right through the glass door.

26959594631_ae1d38ddeb_c.jpgDone! by Hilton, on Flickr

Back in the Rack!  (I just need to knock a couple holes in the wall and mount a couple connections to get rid of the tubing across the floor!)

26959597461_9a69b36e05_c.jpgDone! by Hilton, on Flickr

26754097390_a528b4001d_c.jpgDone! by Hilton, on Flickr

Here's a video tour of the setup that might make more sense why I have it. (click pic)  Thanks again guys very much enjoyed today.

26683829916_08b44277cd_c.jpgVideo tour by Hilton, on Flickr

• Like 1

Masterpaul,

Great find on the Bakers speaker, but not the same model as we'll have at the meeting this Sunday. The driver we have was purchased by my dad in the early 50's. Its a Bakers 12" Deluxe. It's a "full range" driver with an aluminium voicecoil cap and a horn shaped cone. Pics below. We're looking forward to demonstrating the speaker on Sunday.

@@Oldvinylplayer

And we, I, very much enjoyed your demonstration (or was it a trip down memory lane!). I must say that the saxophone/piano track (John Coltrane?), and the classical track, sounded very much at 'home' coming from that mono system (yes system). You father's elaborations were heartwarming, and... enjoyable to hear. It was a pleasure, a very great pleasure to hear him, to hear his DIY system... that moment will be forever etched into my memory.

I noted you making 'excuses', for why it sounded this way or that way... but for me, it sounded 'perfect'.... any imperfections that existed only added to, and enhanced, the experience of beholding such a fine work of art, a special engineering marvel, a friend of the family. I've gone all poetic, kinda. It was 'special'... that was my experience. My thanks to you... and your 'dad'.

Your speakers too, they surprised me (as well as others there I would wager).

Warmest regards,

Rastus.

@@Hilton

Your obsessed brother, what more can I say.... wow. Being an ICT guy myself, it.. the Beast... it... was... wow. Wow.

Edited by rastus

Hi all,

The Bakers Selhurst speaker was quite an experience, as was Roy's story of their story. For those that couldn't attend, Roy is Graham's dad - Roy built the speakers starting back in 1953 or thereabouts and he and a very young Graham listened to it for years. Thanks guys. And certainly a huge thank you to everyone. As you can see from the text and photos, Hilton and Gerry brought in heaps of gear too. (Hilton's 'beast' was OTT, in a good way!). Also thanks to Peter, Bill, Weilin, Joseph, George, Gilbert. I hope I haven't missed anyone!!

More photos coming soon.

Lastly, @@rastus, that sax player was very much in the style of Ben Webster. Love his stuff.

Cheers

Edited by TomW

Hi all,

It was a great meeting on Sunday.  Clearly everyone enjoyed themselves!  I thought I’d share a few comments from members/guests that I lifted from the feedback forms...

"Great atmosphere.  Very enjoyable.  Remarkable DIY stuff that can compete with some of the very best commercial gear.   Gerry's system was superb.  The Gale speakers were enjoyable.  The mono speaker was a surprise and tells me that music can be enjoyed even in mono.  As for Graham’s small speakers, an amazing sound achievement for such small boxes."

"Extremely interesting meeting, highlighting talents of many members."

"Very enjoyable meeting.  Great range across all music equipment.  Great to hear the stories behind the gear.  Very involving.  Well done!  The mono speaker combined with the music played was just beguiling!"

"Bill's mods on SA player is painstaking and excellent.  Weilin's power regulation is very unusual.  Gerry's DIY design is very professional, very original - using Cat5 for speaker cables."

"Really enjoyed this session.  Much learning and much nostalgia."

"Most interesting meeting.  Kudos for effort and dedication.  Best sound - Gales and Marshall Leach amp, Relaixed preamp and Marantz player. "

"Very impressed with the BIG media server.  Beautiful valve preamp [Weilin's].  Great valve amp running the Bakers [Joseph’s]."

"Shows talent, creativity, passion for audio and experimentation."

"Great and very appreciated effort.  Thank you.  Liked the Marantz CD player and Shanling transport.   Relaixed preamp sound was beautiful.  Joseph’s amp the best.  Vintage 1950's speaker was sweet and warm."

TomW

Edited by TomW
  • Like 1

@@TomW > I could not have said it better, EVERY showcase was engrossing, entertaining, and very enjoyable. But there were highlights, as I've mentioned above, all my own personal opinion. But, I do share with the others there (including my friend that came along with me) that it was GREAT and it was FUN, and it WAS great fun. To you sir, and all the members of the SAC, my heartfelt thanks for having us there. :love

Edited by rastus