Midnight Oil Reforming

As I slowly put my record collection back together, I may have the opportunity to pick up some original Midnight Oil LPs. Anyone care to comment on the recording/mastering quality ?

Are they Good? Bad? Ugly?

Any I should avoid?

• Like 1

As Metal Beats says just buy them. 10-1 & Red Sails are awesome on original Aussie LP :thumb:

I hate to disagree, but I have to, because it's my personal experience.

I just don't like '10-1' on original AUS vinyl - the bass is particularly weak and if you appreciate the Oils for the drumming and the thump of their attack on the big songs from the LP, I think the vinyl lets you down.

I have a JAP vinyl copy that is a lot quieter which I still use, but it of course has jacked up treble, which is pretty awful.

I'm still waiting for the hallelujah moment with the Oils (and Chisel) on vinyl...... waiting.... 

Recently listened to 10-1 with my head phones (ATH-M50x) the other day, the mastering on this album is incredible! The dynamic range is second to none compared to the other oils vinyl. DnD would be 2nd followed by Blue Sky Mining.

Edited by tallman5353

I'm still waiting for the hallelujah moment with the Oils (and Chisel) on vinyl...... waiting.... 

Candy,

You might have ti hunt down a few early presses of 10-1 on LP. Believe me there are great sounding masterings out there. It will be worth it :)

Candy,

You might have ti hunt down a few early presses of 10-1 on LP. Believe me there are great sounding masterings out there. It will be worth it :)

Problem is Mondie, identifying them.

The matrixes are all very similar and of course, short on mastering credits (mostly just 'MX' cat numbers).

There is a chronic shortage of actual confirmed info on the masterings and pressing sizes/matrices for all the early Australian classics (Oils, Chisel, Aus Crawl).

Most of it is just guesses.

And buying them a hit and (mostly) miss affair.

I think the whole catalog could do with a remaster (properly) onto vinyl and a re-release.

The recent ones on CD again failed to make the grade.

I must be totally honest, when I first read the title of this thread I though "Why would anyone put oil on the vinyl?"

Then it occurred to me that it must have been about oily finger prints or such stains.

I was mistaken.

Some people have been known to oil their vinyl.... but I think that's a very different kind of ..... hobby.... :blink:

• Like 2

Motivated by this thread I had an afternoon listening to their LPs from S/T up to 10 to 1 + EP Bird Noises.  I went off the band in recent years (PG's political sell-out lost me) but this is now the 2nd time in a couple of months I've listened to them (the 1st time motivated by their exhibition at Manly) and I'm again really enjoying the music.  They were my local pub band in the early days (Royal Antler Narrabeen) and listening to the S/T & Head Injuries albums really takes you back to those days, not the power of their live gigs but quite raw sounding (I think my raw = @'s 'brash'), I felt a yearning desire to be back in those carefree youthful days :)

10 to 1 is a noticeably more polished production, my copy is not lacking in the bottom end and sounds absolutely fantastic (like the others I would have bought it from the Narrabeen Record Bar week of release),  Side 1 matrix "MX202150   SBP237868-1 GOOD FELLOW ONE TALK PLASTIC MR NICK    TOWNHOUSE", Side 2 "MX2021501   SBP237868-2   ITS ABOUT THE ENDING      TOWNHOUSE"  (the 2nd '0' in 2021501 is crossed out with an X), everything on both sides is hand etched except TOWNHOUSE which is stamped. 

Actually listening to Power & the Passion takes me back to the first time I saw them away from the pub, it was the Sydney Entertainment Centre I guess 82-83,  the trumpets near the end of the song were played by 2 or 3 guys perched on a platform way up high near the ceiling, oh to be young again :(

• Like 3

@@David.M

I can see why I was never quite happy with mine and perhaps Candy, as I bought mine maybe 12 months after initial release..

Mine is exactly the same as yours, except after MX202150 it has -B -D2

Meaning mine is not the first pressing, but a later stamper.

you lucky bugger

Actually listening to Power & the Passion takes me back to the first time I saw them away from the pub, it was the Sydney Entertainment Centre I guess 82-83,  the trumpets near the end of the song were played by 2 or 3 guys perched on a platform way up high near the ceiling, oh to be young again :(

Hah!! Was at that gig! most powerful rock band i have ever seen on stage. That night must be burned into my memory if I can still remember it at this point!

@@David.M

I can see why I was never quite happy with mine and perhaps Candy, as I bought mine maybe 12 months after initial release..

Mine is exactly the same as yours, except after MX202150 it has -B -D2

Meaning mine is not the first pressing, but a later stamper.

you lucky bugger

I'll weigh into this discussion.

My copy of 10 to 1 is identical to yours Shane. My copy sounds great, and am spinning it at the minute.

By no means reference material, but very very good. Bass is excellent too, and dynamics are first class.

Ironically, the Discog info for the Aust first pressing does mention the -B -D2 in the dead wax:

• Matrix / Runout (Side A Label): MX202150
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B Label): MX202151
  • Matrix / Runout (Side A Runout Groove Hand-Etched And Stamped): MX202150-B -D2 SBP237868-1 GOOD FELLOW ONE TALK PLASTIC MR. NICK TOWNHOUSE
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B Runout Groove Hand-Etched And Stamped): MX202151-B -D2 SBP237868-2 ITS ABOUT THE ENDING TOWNHOUSE

This morning whilst searching through some stored CDs I came across my Oil's collection, just had to do a quick comparison with 10-1.  The CD I think is the original issue, definitely not a loudness war victim as I had to turn the volume up to match the LP.  Comparing Power & Passion + beginning of Maralinga the CD is so thin and lifeless compared to my LP, listening blind one could think I changed speakers.  I had to go back to side 1 and listen to the whole album (LP) again :)

@@soundfan, I saw that Discogs entry, mine definitely doesn't have the B-D2 on either side plus does have an error on side 2 (the crossed out 0), guess the Discogs info is only as accurate as whoever submits it.

Shane, actually listening to Red Sails as I type, I think my 10-1 sonically equals Red Sails.

Edit:  A lesson learned from doing the comparo with the CD, whenever you get a little frustrated with vinyl's trappings (record QC issues etc) just do a quick back to back comparison with the CD (most any CD) to the LP and you are reminded of why you make the effort :)

Edited by David.M
  • Like 4

Ironically, the Discog info for the Aust first pressing does mention the -B -D2 in the dead wax:

• Matrix / Runout (Side A Label): MX202150
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B Label): MX202151
  • Matrix / Runout (Side A Runout Groove Hand-Etched And Stamped): MX202150-B -D2 SBP237868-1 GOOD FELLOW ONE TALK PLASTIC MR. NICK TOWNHOUSE
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B Runout Groove Hand-Etched And Stamped): MX202151-B -D2 SBP237868-2 ITS ABOUT THE ENDING TOWNHOUSE

Thats what mine has, bought in the first week of release, but I thought they sold out, like Models did and didnt play it much. My red sails was bought on release to but I cant ever remember playing it.

My favorite is Postcards, forgot Bird Noises was on 45.

Playing 10-1 for the first time in over 30 years, sounds good, strong bass, vocals, guitar, the kickers hitting me in the chest... may have to forgive them and try Red sails.

Mine is also exactly the same as Shane's, and not a NZ version either but the same Australian label and run out groove info.

Bass nice and solid, but not very present. Good dynamics but overall a bit ho hum SQ wise. Mids recessed and not much air or sparkle.

An average pressing.