Devialet Owners & Discussion Thread

Good morning everyone,

So I have been thinking of buying a devialet for a while. Finally have some money saved up and ready to roll.

Any good dealers to talk to in Sydney area which prices them appropriately with good service? I am ready to buy used one to but would like to stay local.

I recently moved to Sydney from US where I bought naim 250 and V1 dac paired with harbeth shl5.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If you have that much money to burn, try something other than Devialet. They are nice looking but when it comes to performance there are much better products in the market for the same dough.

Talk to Sydney HIFI in Castle Hill, they have all Devialets on special sale because they want to get rid of them , they will give you decent advise.

https://sydneyhificastlehill.com.au/shop/amplifiers/devialet-800/

Cheers

Edited by ufo
  • Like 2

... Talk to Sydney HIFI in Castle Hill, they have all Devialets on special sale because they want to get rid of them , they will give you decent advise.

Also, Len Wallis Audio in Lane Cove and DME HIFI in Neutral Bay.

My experience has been that when you go to a shop they try you to max out instead of what will be best for you need.

This is a bit bizarre response after indicating as below in your original post.

Any good dealers to talk to in Sydney area which prices them appropriately with good service?

If you don't want to go to shops why are you asking for recommendations?

My experience has been that when you go to a shop they try you to max out instead of what will be best for you need.

That's true but ... your question was if someone can recommend hi-fi dealers in Sydney area. I know very well LW and DME from the time I lived in Sydney (some twenty years ago).

Buy the one in Melbourne - 4 years warranty.

Otherwise call Goran at Sydney Hifi and see what stock he has left. You may surprised at how competitive it will be,

Lifestyle Store Parramatta also do Devialet.

I should have explained myself better which becomes issue when you are typing on a smartphone. Anyway I was looking for some references on dealer who also have good customer service with decent( does not mean

bottom) price. If people could sharw their experience that will be great.

• Like 1

Talk to Sydney HIFI in Castle Hill, they have all Devialets on special sale because they want to get rid of them , they will give you decent advise.

https://sydneyhificastlehill.com.au/shop/amplifiers/devialet-800/

Cheers

I believe this is more a business model issue than the amps performance. I've spoken to another retailer who is getting out of the brand, but purely for business reasons, they still highly regard the amps, just said the Phantoms weren't the game changers they are marketed as.

Edited by blybo

I believe this is more a business model issue than the amps performance. I've spoken to another retailer who is getting out of the brand, but purely for business reasons, they still highly regard the amps, just said the Phantoms weren't the game changers they are marketed as.

Don't know anything about the business issues but when I had chat to Goran when I was there last time, without soliciting any opinions, he openly expressed that Devialets are nice gadgets but he would not consider them as HIFI equipment.

Edited by ufo
  • Like 1

Guest Sime

I've heard this before somewhere, though don't know the specifics.

Don't know anything about the business issues but when I had chat to Goran when I was there last time, without soliciting any opinions, he openly expressed that Devialets are nice gadgets but he would not consider them as HIFI equipment.

I'm not so sure about this.

Certainly should not be referred to as "lifestyle" products like Bose and Sonos. 

Guest Sime

Certainly should not be referred to as "lifestyle" products like Bose and Sonos.

From what I've seen of them, they are as cable as anything else out there.

if says a product is "not up to our high standards" you may buy something else that is to their standards. If you say they are great but we can't make enough out of them to stock anymore, you still buy from somebody else.

• Like 1

Cullen modded Sonos products excluded of course :thumb:

• Like 2

I'm yet to hear any Devialet amp based system that sounded really good and I've heard quite a few now.

That's not to say that the Devialet's are to blame of course, but the evidence is mounting. 

I'm currently comparing a Devialet 120 with a very large class A Plinius.

There's no night and day going on here!

• Like 2

I'm currently comparing a Devialet 120 with a very large class A Plinius.

There's no night and day going on here!

That's reassuring. 

I've heard the 120 a couple of times now, driving PSB and Vivid, and on both occasions felt that it lacked nuance and resolution. IOW, rather bland and uninvolving. 

Devialet experts are not great for stores as once you buy one you buy bugger all else from the store! No more multiple boxes and cables required. No jumping on the upgrade merry go round changing in and out flavour of the month dacs, amps etc.

I really enjoy my Dev and have compared to many different systems. Most recently a $60k rig and i stayed with the Dev... there was very little difference. If anything the Dev sounded a tad 'smoother'.

The thing with the Dev is i listen to more music now than i ever did before. Previously i'd spend more time trying different cables and components and listening to the first 10 seconds of a handful of songs instead of just sitting down and listening to music.

When many think nothing to drop $8k on a PS Audio DS Dac, i don't see how the cost of a Devialet 200 that does everything is not a bargain.

At the end of the day there are no absolutes in this hobby, we all have different tastes, so if you don't like the Devialet there will be something else out there that plays to your strengths more. Doesn't mean that the Dev can be 'outperformed' for the same money, just that you like a different 'sound'.

If by performance you talk about measurements, Devialet has the best specs going round. I don't really care about that, i just have fun with it, it suits my lifestyle and the type of music i listen to.

• Like 7

That's reassuring. 

I've heard the 120 a couple of times now, driving PSB and Vivid, and on both occasions felt that it lacked nuance and resolution. IOW, rather bland and uninvolving. 

I've had the 120 and felt it underpowered for most of the speakers i had. You have to remember the quoted power rating is at 6ohm, not 8ohm. Mind you there is a rumour going round that all models may receive a boost to power via the firmware... should hear over the coming days.

With regards to Vivid, the Australian importer/distributor of Vivid uses Devialet in his own setup, he loves it. He uses a D200/D400 on most of his speakers not a 120.

If you buy one the sweetspot is definitely the 200. If you want to 'upgrade' down the track you can add another 200 and make it a dual mono 400.

I've had the 120 and felt it underpowered for most of the speakers i had. You have to remember the quoted power rating is at 6ohm, not 8ohm. Mind you there is a rumour going round that all models may receive a boost to power via the firmware... should hear over the coming days.

With regards to Vivid, the Australian importer/distributor of Vivid uses Devialet in his own setup, he loves it. He uses a D200/D400 on most of his speakers not a 120.

If you buy one the sweetspot is definitely the 200. If you want to 'upgrade' down the track you can add another 200 and make it a dual mono 400.

I've heard that Vivid combo too and was also underwhelmed, though admittedly I've felt the same with Vivids by other amps too, so it's more likely that the speakers are not for me. 

I was very impressed with the D Premier review in Stereophile a few years ago, but unfortunately haven't heard one as yet. 

You might be right about the 120, that its lack of drive capability into sub 4 ohms is likely what I was hearing.   From my recollection, the d premier also has problems with sub 4 ohm loads, which might be a problem for owners of Wilson, B&W etc. 

Conceptually, Devialet isn't my cup of tea, being far too integrated a product, but for what they do within a compact enclosure, I agree that they're amazing. Definitely a modern day Bang & Olufsen.  

• Like 1