Well, here's some new news....

Wonder how much that will cost?  Probably all computer controlled and the inside will look like a PC motherboard...  Still want one though

Lots'n'lots I reckon!

Computer controlled? You mean like this? This is the computer controlled gubbins of a Studer A810 circa 1986. It'd be 1/100th the size now, so this current one is probably mostly empty inside relatively speaking. The fascia is a great nod to the past however, though I must wonder where the oversized, brushed aluminium NAB adapters are, and the meter bridge?!

Regards,

Phil

STUDER-A810-electronics-sm.jpg

The target price for the playback-only machine is $4500.

Read more at http://www.analogplanet.com/content/new-revox-details-emerge#zelI6ZGqUaVXLJOA.99

That's interesting, and a relative bargain in the world of high-end pro audio.

It says on that blog it's based on a Studer B-676.... a what? I assume that's a typo and it's based on a B67; the controls certainly look like it.

I wonder what the extra button that looks like a record button (with the red LED) is then? Unless it's a mock-up that is showing the €1,000 record option. Then there's the €1,000 upgrade from RCAs to XLRs....whoo, it's starting to add up!

Hopefully it'll be more than one speed, but given how it's being marketed, I doubt it.

• 1 month later...

Although I missed the Telos room at the recent show (I think it was too busy), but I believe the guy who provided that R2R machine was the same person I bought my Linn Sondek from recently. While I was at his house, he played me a recording on a machine he had just picked up and was fiddling with - not a super high-spec machine. What I do remember is that it made me wonder why we muck around with records. Similar to those people who heard the R2R at the show.

My question is whether we can get the same quality of recording out of compact cassette, or is the width of the tape a restriction? Or the magnetic substance on the tapes...or just because we are playing master tapes on the R2R and everything else is a copy (usually a poor one, back in my cassette days).

Other than that, paying $500 for each reel is a bit steep...

@@tfj100 The telos room was nice, very high quality.

But I'm with you, I cant fork out $500 for a reel of new master tape, mosty because most of the titles I've seen are classical or jazz. I respect others interests in these genre's, but it doesn't interest me.

• Like 1

...My question is whether we can get the same quality of recording out of compact cassette, or is the width of the tape a restriction? Or the magnetic substance on the tapes...or just because we are playing master tapes on the R2R and everything else is a copy (usually a poor one, back in my cassette days)...

Tape playback quality depends on:

- the quality of the playback electronics and it being setup correctly

- the quality of the tape

- the speed of the tape (faster is better)

- the width of the tape, and the proportion of the tape each track is recorded on (wider is better, half-track is better than 1/4-track, mono is even better)

Cassettes fit four tracks into a tiny width and play back at 3-3/4ips (very slow).  It was designed for mono dictation recording, and early machines could only cope with speech at telephone quality.  It is amazing that it developed hifi quality.  Technology like Dolby was required to compensate for the gross limitations. 

In comparison reel tape is wider.  It can run at 3-3/4ips for low-quality.  In general terms, 7-1/2ips is reasonable quality domestic speed, and 15ips is high quality/studio quality. 

Because of these advantages R-R recorders have greater headroom and dynamics with less noise.  Cassettes can't compete with that. 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2